Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Old betas keep showing up in "Apps & features" list

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Peter77, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I always used the "Unity Editor Download Assistant" to install a new Unity version over an existing one. The installer does show "Remove old installation" as far as I remember, but it does not seem to work in all cases.

I noticed in Windows 10 "Apps & features" list, that I have a lot of Unity entries there. It seems only alpha and beta versions add a new entry that does not get removed or replaced properly.

screenshot.png

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Does this only happen with the installer or with the Hub as well?

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I don't know, haven't tried the Hub yet.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The reason for this is that when you install a new Unity version over an existing one, the replaced version will simply be deleted and the registry remains untouched. To remove the registry reference you have to use the uninstaller, which the installer doesn't run when you install a version over an existing one, because Unity version folders are freely movable.

If you use the Hub then you won't be able to overwrite an existing version (yet), but removing one takes just a couple of clicks and does run the uninstaller (removing the registry entries). So versions managed through the Hub won't cause these problems.

5. Same here. Currently I don't have any Unity-related software on my computer (uninstalled), except for these two. These cannot be uninstalled because physically they have been removed a long time ago.
    I really think that the 2018.1.0b8 were (un)installed through Hub.

unity.png

And now, I go and download the Hub and install Unity. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018