Search Unity

okay sense:

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by N1warhead, Dec 16, 2016.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

My question got deleted and not moved, perhaps the Mod/Admin would like to enlighten me where they go so I do not disturb their apparent dictatorship with execution rather than relocating the peasant to the right village.

And for anyone else who doesn't know - PHP Questions.
    I do not see a single forum, sub forum, sub sub sub sub forum for PHP, in other-words, either you mods and admins need to make one or make things more descriptive, because before even posting it in General Discussion I (logically) can't find a place to ask them types of questions.

Because lets be real, Editor & General Support. Look at that forum, it's literally all nothing but Editor Questions, so PHP wouldn't fit in there, nor is it a general question, rather specific. Last I checked a PHP question doesn't fit in Work In Progress, or even Jobs Commercial.

And it is a question, not about PHP Directly, but Unity securely sending a "string" or "url" to a php file,
    So it's not something directly in relation to PHP, but communicating with PHP without clientside hacking.

So Mr/Mrs Mod: rather than executing a genuine question, perhaps either moving it or explaining where it might go, might help. Just to delete it because you think it's in the wrong forum doesn't fix the problem, because what if I post it in the wrong section: yet again, and again and again until i finally get it right. I don't think any of us want that and would rather have a smooth transition.

This is the first time in near 2600 posts I have had a post deleted and I'd like to know why, I mean obviously my question in your opinion didn't fit in here, but why didn't you just move it, so perhaps next time i'd you know - know where to ask it. I could understand if I was some serial-wrong-forum-poster, I've only had maybe 4 posts moved, so what made it different this time... The only genuine things I can think of, either you are in some bad mood, or lazy, or there is no section, or you deleted it because it is apparent that there really isn't a clear section to ask it so you didn't feel like looking any longer. There really isn't any other reason to do that unless it's now demanded by Unity to just delete things instead of moving, which I would understand if that was the case.

But what really made my question so bad, so evil that it had to be destroyed and wasting my time to ask that it couldn't just be moved.

Sorry for the rant, it's just really irked me and I want to know why it was deleted rather than moved because this has never happened to me. 99.9999999% of the time threads are A)- Moved or B) Locked. I can't think of any case where I've seen one deleted for any reason.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I really am sorry for coming off mad. It just hit me like am emotional punch to the face as to why it was deleted. Literally I flooded with emotions... Sorry if I get the admin/mod mad with this. But at the same time I meant what I said. But still, I apologize for coming off mad, I was kinda mad, moreso in shock than anything.

3. Tzan

Tzan

I was reading at that time and I noticed at least 3 posts got deleted, not just yours.
    I had read them so I was expecting to see them in the list marked as read, but they were just gone.
    I thought it was weird to not see the "moved" icon.

No idea about the question though.

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

hmm that's strange. It's very very rare to see a post deleted. I in fact haven't ever seen one in my years on here. Then again i don't really pay attention to most of the posts. But even the ones that get out of hand, like really out of hand, just get locked, not deleted.

I'm not going to ask my question (for you) so it doesn't get this deleted apparently lol.

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

It's extremely rare / unusual for posts to actually be deleted unless they are offensive. My guess is this would be an accident. Maybe they meant to move it to "Scripting" or something and accidently deleted instead.

Even when they do, it's the contents that get purged, not the whole thread or post.

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

As far as PHP goes... PHP itself is outside of the scope here, but given your description it sounds like it's not PHP specific and could relate to any particular backend (.NET, Node, etc). Could you repeat your actual question and I'll see if I know the answer. :)

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

I mean I don't mind so much that it was deleted, I mean that sucks. It's just the reason that I still don't know where to post it, so that puts me in a bind of potentially getting banned for posting in the wrong sections more than once. if you get what I mean? (Yeah hold on, I'll Private Message you) so it doesn't get this deleted lmao haha.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I'm 99% certain it wasn't intentional.

9. neginfinity

neginfinity

Actually, I had my post nuked instead of getting it moved as well. I think there's a new moderator with overly itchy trigger fingers. And it was one hundred percent intentional, because I got a filled in "reason" in my alerts. The "reason" message did not link to moderator responsible.

So, I had to retype the whole thing, put it into shader's forum, where it sits to this day, without getting any responses.

MV10 likes this.
  10. N1warhead

N1warhead

dang man, I guess that's what it probably is..
    Mine gave me some generic response "post in the right sub form", well that's hard when you don't know what subform it is.

And generally the other forums are hard to get any notice in them, because we all hang out here in General haha.

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

The problem is that a lot of people post code/support stuff here even after the forum section clearly says not to. I guess if you are a long time member you should already know and by doing the opposite the post might get deleted instead of moving or locked to make you rethink twice the next time you post :)

I think I've seen in the past where some members always posted here on purpose just to make the mods pick the section for them.

12. Tzan

Tzan

I used to post on the Lightwave forums and we had the same issue.
    Posting on a subforum gets no views, posting in General helps, but then the mods starting enforcing "the rules" after years of being more relaxed. We were not amused.
    At least they just moved them.

I would say deletion is against Mod Policy here.

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

Yep, same message, same situation. Not sure if it is one of predefined messages or if it was typed in.

14. N1warhead

N1warhead

I mean I agree with you. But the problem is, people like me, they take things they see at face value. if I don't see PHP for example, then i take it literally as there is no proper area for PHP.

Now if I had seen a forum called Web Technologies or Backend Server-Side Help, then that gives me some clear guidance.
    That's just the kind of person I am...

Honestly though, I think there should be some Web Technology sub forum.
    For a place to discuss things like backend security, login systems, tokens, or anything else that deals with C# mixing with Web Technologies for server-side data.

15. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well yep. I don't know what your post looked like but there is no place for PHP themed discussion here. However if it was about doing a post or get requests with for example the WWW class then it goes to the scripting section.

I've seen other PHP or ASP.NET posts get locked cause they are not really Unity related and there are plenty of web related sites out there (almost direct quote of lock reason IIRC).

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  16. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah it was with WWW, but more so on the part of securing sent data so the client couldn't interpret what it was and change it to their liking.

Thanks to @Dustin-Horne : He helped me out with it, even though I can't believe I didn't think of it before. Thanks again man! I was just so stressed out it completely overshadowed my thinking.. Using BCRYPT or some other hash function to at least get the plain text out of the script so it's harder for the common mosquito hacker to have a harder time.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don't see any deleted threads here or anything in reports related to it. Is it this thread?:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/php-pdo-login-system-free.446259/

When threads and posts are deleted, normally they are just hidden from public view, but still seeable by mods/staff. I don't see anything here. No idea what happened or why.

18. N1warhead

N1warhead

hey man, no that's not it, that one is fine.
    It was some other thread I created maybe an hour ago or so. Maybe two hours ago. (The only other thread other than the one you posted).

EDIT: That is really strange. If I were you I'd bring this to the attention of Unity. There could be some Hacker or a problem going on with the Forums)

19. N1warhead

N1warhead

Attached Files:

20. MV10

MV10

If it makes you feel any better, I actually read it. :p :D

21. N1warhead

N1warhead

hahaha, so did I. :p

22. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Hmmm, dunno. It may be the specific content or something.

I really wouldn't worry about it, bannings/warnings are extremely rare (except for spammers). Just repost in the proper forum. Scripting would be the correct place if it is about remote connections/serialization/etc.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  23. N1warhead

N1warhead

You see I didn't know that, because the only thing going through my mind was 'PHP/PDO', Y'all should perhaps get together and have an understanding that even if things were deleted for in the wrong spot, to at least guide others to the correct forums. So you don't end up with threads like this haha.

It wasn't so much the delete, but the explanation or lack there of as what to do. There's like what, over 60 forums if you include all the sub forums, that's a lot of potential wrong places, 59 of which would be wrong if it was 60 haha.

So instead of saying "Post in the correct sub forum" should say "Questions in relation to: Scripting in general should go to the Scripting Forum" the key word being (general), which to me means okay, from now on post this there.

But from now on, if I post something I am unsure about here, I will put at the top that I really don't know of another place to put something and to please move it if necessary. Just sucks to have like a 20-30 minute typing of a post to make sure I got it sounding right, to be deleted in minutes lol.

24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

General is pretty clear on what is and isn't covered, technical questions aren't. But, yes, that is fine, if you are unclear, post in your best guess where it goes (if technical implementation, and about Unity, start in scripting.), it can be moved if needed.

This thread has run long enough in general. I'll leave it open but moving it to forum discussion.

25. neginfinity

neginfinity

My thread was deleted before ludum dare and related alert is no longer in my alert feed.
    The message was similar to the one posted by @N1warhead.

26. Tzan

Tzan

I don't think I've ever read or posted in Forum Discussion.

27. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Was it about cheap kitchen sinks in the uk?

theANMATOR2b, Dustin-Horne and MV10 like this.
  28. MV10

MV10

It's pretty new.

Tzan likes this.
  29. neginfinity

neginfinity

Nope. Octree construction on GPU. (-_-) I doubt kitchen sinks are very useful there.

Either way the thread now rots, I mean sits, in shader section, it just would be nice if the mysterious new guy was less trigger happy about nuking stuff. I mean the subject matched multiple subforums at once.

N1warhead likes this.
  30. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I looked at it. I know how to create an offer but not on the gpu :)

31. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I'm not aware of any new or mysterious mods/admins. I think I'm still the most recent. There are many mods/staff though, some are more infrequent than others.

The only ones that fit that description are the two mentioned in this thread that I'm aware of. There are tons of moderation actions that happen daily (mostly approvals and such). I would tend to believe that it is a rare case. If it is more common, let us know. I typically don't (permanently) delete threads, mostly because it allows other mods to see a pattern if the behaviour becomes a problem. Though if for some reason it was in the pending queue, instead of instantly made public (happens often due to filters), it may have been deleted from there. It is possible, as you can still see and reply to your own pending threads, even though they aren't public. (though there is a notification in the thread when viewing that it is pending).

---

The amount of spam for kitchen sinks and cabinetry in the UK is staggering. Mostly it ends up in the moderation queue, and mostly on Monday morning. Which I personally find completely logic defying. They don't seem to be phishing, they point to legit (I think) retailers. It seems like a really strange marketing tactic for something so specific, and completely the wrong market.

32. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yeah I received a weird post on my asset thread... I almost reported it as spam because it looked just like generic comment spam and the guy only had one post (that was it)... but the link it had was a legit site for exploring JSON data as objects... so maybe it was just a case of him or her not being a native English speaker.

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, I looked into that one. It didn't feel like spam, and wasn't derailing. I think like you said, maybe not native speaker. Still, even though not removed, it is always good to report, if no other reason to make us aware. We can't read every thread. And sometimes innocuous first posts are just to get past the initial filters.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  34. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yeah, that's why I risked clicking the link... I didn't want my customers (or potential ones) to be the first. Still I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't edited with the link changed.