Search Unity

Ok, what's up with Animator Controllers and bone colliders?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LeftyTwoGuns, Sep 20, 2014.

1. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

I have an NPC set up with bone colliders using Unity's ragdoll wizard. I was wondering why I could accurately hit all of the colliders with a Physics.Raycast except for its arms. And why I could accurately hit the arms of an NPC set up identically but using an Animation component instead.

More messing around and it seemed like no matter what animation I used for an NPC with an Animation component, all hits were accurate. But results varied with the NPC using an Animator Controller. If I put it in a crouch idle, for example, the raycast didn't hit ANY colliders, except for the torso, when not even aiming at the torso.

So, what am I missing here with Animator Controller vs. Animation when it comes to parented colliders? Or is this just all in my head and I'm going crazy?

2. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Well, now I'm fairly convinced this has something to do with Animator Controllers. Because I just removed the Animator Controller completely and the raycast hits accurately on all the bone colliders. Same with a character using an Animation component.

Does anyone have anything to share in regards to how Animator Controllers work with colliders in this situation?

3. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Well, the closest I've gotten was setting all the colliders's rigidbodies to interpolate, which gives 100% accuracy but obviously the animations and bones go haywire.

I figured this would be something more widely discussed. I didn't think putting colliders on a Mecanim character would be such an abstract concept

Shamantiks likes this.