Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Offline deployment of packages

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rwagner_stsc, Apr 21, 2020.

1. rwagner_stsc

rwagner_stsc

Hi, I have to develop with unity in a completely offline air gapped network on a machine that can never be connected to the internet. No need to tell me how much that sucks I really know (vscode was a nightmare to get setup and constantly breaks). Just recently I wanted to use the new addressables package and found it wasn't included in 2019.2.10f1 which is what I'm currently running. Apparently that version is compatible with it tho? So I installed the addressables 1.1.10 package on a separate pc that is connected to the internet, then copied the addressables folder over from Library/PackageCache. That didn't work however.

"Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package []: Package com.unity.adressables@file: path here. has invalid dependencies"

I also tried tar and gzipping it but get this instead:
    "Cannot perform upm operation: Unable to add package []: The file [absolute path from my other pc here for the package.json ?? cannot be found [NotFound]

basically for some reason the .tgz seemed to be looking for absolute path from the pc I made the tar on even though I specified in 7zip to use relative paths when making the tar.

Researching similar problems on the internet it seems people have a lot of problems with the package manager when behind corporate proxies. Just wondering if it's possible to actually install packages completely offline? If so what should I be doing to prepare the package for adding it to the offline machine? I'm guessing I might need to manually track down all the dependencies and add them too? Or is this just not possible at all right now? If so is there a plan to ever support offline package installing? I really like the idea of the package manager just doesn't seem to be working well for people in my situation right now.

2. Andrew-Carvalho

Andrew-Carvalho

Just throwing out some ideas, though I haven't tested any of them.

Do you still get this error if you place the package, as downloaded form another machine, somewhere central on the offline computer and edit the project package manifest to point to it using a file:/ protocol?

Also, would putting the package directly into your Packages folder as an embedded package be a possible solution in your case?

In both of the above, you'll need to manually grab any dependencies (I'm not sure if Addressables has any, actually) and also include them in a similar manner since they won't be automatically resolved.