Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity manual on Addressables?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by cadxplore, Feb 25, 2020.

1. cadxplore

cadxplore

2. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

Yeah, the docs are horrible. I learned the system through videos and this forum and trial-and-error.

Silly_Rollo and SudoCat like this.
  3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Pretty much all packages have terrible documentation. Shallow, vague, lacking in examples. You can't even search within them!

Silly_Rollo likes this.
  4. Tayfe

Tayfe

Could you maybe point out some good videos? I am also struggling with working into the system since about two weeks. And the problem with videos is that you can only know afterwards whether they where helpful or not as you can not easily skim them.

5. ProtoTerminator

ProtoTerminator

These are the 2 I started with.

cadxplore likes this.
  6. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey all, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here. To be perfectly transparent we're aware the docs are in a rough place. It's my understanding that the entire package documentation story is something that's getting worked on.

Some of you mentioned the sample repo and said that didn't help you at all. Out of curiosity, what exactly didn't you like about it? Would you like more in depth steps to guide you through the project? Is something about the current steps incomplete or unclear? I ask because this is something I can take more immediate action on.

7. cadxplore

cadxplore

Hi @DavidUnity3d , thanks for dropping by.
    I would like to ask is that possible to have our own custom naming for the asset files that built?

Right now I'm only seeing 4 options under Bundle Naming.
    Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 11.58.18 AM.png

Default file names which using "Append Hash to Filename"
    Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 11.53.22 AM.png

Also, I'm noticing there's always a defaultlocalgroup_unitybuiltinshaders.bundle that got build even though I didn't include any shaders in addressable group. When I inspect it with the Asset Bundle Browser, I don't see any assets listed in Source Asset Paths. So, what are these built-in shaders?
    Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 12.07.10 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  8. cadxplore

cadxplore

9. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

@cadxplore currently no, there's no official supported way to add a naming convention to that group schema. You might be able to create your own bundled asset group schema that has more options for Bundling Naming. You'll have to create a corresponding build script to support this as well.

Just curious, what's your use case for a new naming convention?

That is a special bundle we build that includes all of the Editors built in shaders. That will get built by default no matter what to solve some shader dependency issues.

10. cadxplore

cadxplore

@DavidUnity3d
    Because every time after I built the addressable it always created at the same location as before so I'll have to check the modified/created time in order to be able to tell which asset bundle is the newly created one.

For example, among these bundles, I can't really tell which one is the most recent one until I sort the files by time
    Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 11.53.22 AM.png

11. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, interesting. Yeah I get where you're coming from. If we did add something where you could create your own bundle naming scheme it would probably be a while before it made it to a live package. But, I'll definitely bring it up and see if I can get something going.

cadxplore likes this.
  12. unity_bill

unity_bill

Looks like this thread morphed a bit, so I'll reply to a couple of things...

We are always working on our docs, but the docs we have are the "proper documentation". The package doc system has a lot of limitations (search??) that also frustrate us, but that's just the system we're in.

Sorry this isn't helpful. We're always open to suggestions for new samples.

It should be fairly straightforward to make a custom build script to handle this. In BuildScriptPackedMode.cs there's
    protected virtual string ConstructAssetBundleName()
    . Override that method and you can do whatever you want.
    That being said, if your main concern is understanding which items are from an old build and which from a new, I'd personally recommend making your build path have a variable in it that evaluates to a timestamp. But there are a few reasons why someone would need to know which data is which, and that idea may not solve your specific need.

13. SamOld

SamOld

I've just made a post on this forum that I believe points out a gap in the documentation. I'll excerpt the first paragraph here.

The post has more details of my specific situation.

I think the documentation would benefit from some general discussion and pattern recommendations around loading assets by path and marrying the async API with Unity's typically synchronous workflow. I was looking at switching from
    Resources.Load
    to Addressables in my prototype code, but from what I've seen in the docs, it looks like I would need to implement a whole level loading system to cover up the async loading so that I can guarantee assets are ready and available in my synchronous gameplay code. That's an unreasonable burden at this stage of my project, and is going to push me away from using Addressables at all.

I'm hoping that this is actually manageable in some way, but the documentation doesn't make that clear.

seloran likes this.