Search Unity

[Official] Unity for Apple TV open beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Thorny2000

Thorny2000

Reposting a thread I started here.

After calling Social.ShowLeaderboardUI or Social.ShowAchievementsUI, the Game Center window is displayed but the game in the background is not paused (unlike on iOS). Scrolling around GameCenter display and clicking is also being sent to the game in the background. I've reported it as a bug and a thread but haven't heard anything - releasing soon.

Bug report: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?767633_5nmbp4hjjqkurl38
    Old thread (no replies): http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tv...ter-achievements-or-leaderboards-open.384037/

2. hexagonius

hexagonius

We have an issue with XCode 7.2.1 and Unity 5.3.2f1

When building for Apple TV The first warnings that appear in XCode look like this:

warning: Inapplicable Content: The brand asset collection "AppIcon" has a item "Top Shelf Image" assigned to the Apple TV TV Top Shelf Image 1920x720 role but expects an instnace of image set.​

When archiving the project and trying to upload to ITunes Connect this error appears:

ERROR ITMS-90471: "Missing Image Asset. Your app is missing the Top Shelf Image asset 'Top Shelf Image' in 'Payload/...app'."​

I don't know if these errors are related to one another, but I was wondering why the warning complained about "image set" while the "Top Shelf Image" is an "imagestack"...

We cannot upload to ITC because of that error

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    GeekyTime likes this.
  3. hexagonius

hexagonius

This was exactly the problem. Unity provides 3 "image stacks" for apple TV but looking into the "Asset Catalog Format Reference" Sample Contents.json File, the Top Shelf Image needs to be an "image set". replacing it in XCode and adjusting the generated json solved the problem. PLEASE FIX THIS

4. Newcomma

Newcomma

Hi There,

@Mantas Puida You've mentioned that there is no exposed accelerometer API from the tvOS SDK, is this anticipated through an SDK update at some stage or is there simply no accelerometer within the tvOS remote at all?

Thanks in advance.

5. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

This is not on Unity's end. It's on Apple's. Within Unity, both Input.Acceleration, Input.Gyro.gravity, and Input.Gyro.useraccelration all return data. It's important to note that Apple does not allow direct access to either sensor but rather only expose gravity and useracceleration with data fused from both sensors (there are both an accelerometer and gyro in the remote). So for the purpose of the data in unity on TVOS:

Input.acceleration = Input.gyro.gravity + input.gyro.useraccelration

There is not anything for Unity to do unless Apple changes it's API. Also, because the siri remote does not contain a magnomenter, I doubt there will be any change from Apple's side. They don't want to add attitude or rotation rate unless all 3 axis data is accurate. Hopefully whenever a 5th generation ATV comes down the line they'll add one to the remote.

6. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.4 will include remote support on simulator.

7. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

@povilas did you mean to say the TVOS simulator?

My impression is that Unity is updating the Unity Remote application in 5.4 so that you can use Unity remote to have the siri remote work in the editor. I can't say that I've heard anything of it working in Apple's TVOS simulator.

8. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

Yes, I was referring to Siri remote support in tvOS simulator.

9. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Excellent, I'll have to try it out. @povilas Is this available in beta 9?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  10. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  12. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Can't say that I've tried, I'm still on the general release for xcode, but given that each of the errors has to do with the on screen keyboard, you can try commenting those lines in the corresponding .mm files out. Especially if you have no input text fields in your game. If you do have an input text field, at least the sound of those classes something might not behave when entering text with the on-screen keyboard (again haven't tried). Perhaps Mantas or the other Unity developers can chime in with what changes they've put into 5.3.5 that you could put into 5.4 beta 10 until they fix it in the 5.4 beta.

13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The reason I'm using tvos 9.2 beta is that I'm implementing keyboard support, with the end goal of making iCade controllers work.

I'm trying to see if I can get the 8Bitdo controllers to work. they don't support MFI, but they do support iCade.
    So they should work when using the new keyboard support in the twos 9.2

http://www.8bitdo.com/sfc30/

14. danydavidpr

danydavidpr

im having the same problem

in my Contents.json file:

{

"assets" : [

{

"filename" : "App Icon - Small.imagestack",

"idiom" : "tv",

"role" : "primary-app-icon",

"size" : "400x240"

},

{

"filename" : "App Icon - Large.imagestack",

"role" : "primary-app-icon",

"size" : "1280x768"

},

{

"filename" : "Top Shelf Image.imageset",

"role" : "top-shelf-image",

"size" : "1920x720"

}

],

"info" : {

"author" : "com.mycompany",

"version" : 1

}

}

how can i fix this?

thank you

GeekyTime likes this.
  15. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Not sure if the errors below would impact what you want to do at all. It really sounds confined to the on screen keyboard.

Code (CSharp):
    1. /Users/iphonedev/Downloads/FogBugz Cases/case_770115-KP2/test/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:172:56: 'UIKeyboardFrameEndUserInfoKey' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    2. /Users/iphonedev/Downloads/FogBugz Cases/case_770115-KP2/test/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:187:56: 'UIKeyboardFrameEndUserInfoKey' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    3. /Users/iphonedev/Downloads/FogBugz Cases/case_770115-KP2/test/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:272:100: 'UIKeyboardDidShowNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    4. /Users/iphonedev/Downloads/FogBugz Cases/case_770115-KP2/test/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:273:101: 'UIKeyboardWillHideNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    5. /Users/iphonedev/Downloads/FogBugz Cases/case_770115-KP2/test/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:275:107: 'UIKeyboardDidChangeFrameNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS

16. Webcore-Games

Webcore-Games

So, I saw someone having this same issue a time ago and did'nt see any answer to it.
    Anyone else having problens to build a project that uses IAP?
    Our project is very dependable on it and we can't just comment things to make it work, it would be necessary to rewrite a good chunk of the code.

Any ideas??
    "
    Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The following assembly referenced from /Users/webcore/Desktop/Flashcards/Assets/Plugins/UnityPurchasing/Bin/Stores.dll could not be loaded:
    Assembly: Apple (assemblyref_index=2)
    Version: 0.0.0.0
    Public Key: (none)
    The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/Users/webcore/Desktop/Flashcards/Assets/Plugins/UnityPurchasing/Bin/).

Could not load file or assembly 'Apple, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    Could not load file or assembly 'Apple, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    The class UnityEngine.Purchasing.NativeJSONStore could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The following assembly referenced from /Users/webcore/Desktop/Flashcards/Assets/Plugins/UnityPurchasing/Bin/Stores.dll could not be loaded:
    Assembly: winrt (assemblyref_index=5)
    Version: 1.0.0.0
    Public Key: (none)
    The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/Users/webcore/Desktop/Flashcards/Assets/Plugins/UnityPurchasing/Bin/).

Could not load file or assembly 'winrt, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    The class <MessageCallback>c__AnonStorey0 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class <OnProductListReceived>c__AnonStorey0 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class <log>c__AnonStorey1 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class <OnPurchaseFailed>c__AnonStorey2 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class <OnPurchaseSucceeded>c__AnonStorey3 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    The class <OnProductListError>c__AnonStorey4 could not be loaded, used in Stores, Version=1.0.5816.24733, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    "

17. Anomius

Anomius

Hey,

I'm having n issue right now where multiple touch events aren't being detected when we use the touch input method of tapping the left / right hand side of the remote rather than swiping left / right which can lead to the players input getting locked or not picked up at all.

I have got absolute d pad values set to true, touches enabled set to true and still I seem to get multi-touch enabled = 'false' and only one touch comes through. If the player moves their finger at all on the touch pad then it will pick up the input correctly but if a user say touches the left side, then also touches the right side and then lets go of the original left side touch, it won't pick up the second touch unless movement is detected after this point.

My question is does Unity support multi touch input for the tvOS remote / if not is it going to?

cheers,
    Dominic

18. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

This isn't on Unity's end. Apple only supports 1 touch currently on TVOS for the Siri remote. Not sure if it's the hardware or the Apple API but in any case it's out of Unity's hands. There are some places on the internet that when pairing with the Mac that people have been able to get two touches working in a hacked way, but nothing on the Apple TV that I've seen.

-chris and MrEsquire like this.
  19. chrisscott

chrisscott

Has anyone had any luck with the Standard Assets 'Cross Platform Input Manager' and 'TiltInput' and the Apple TV?

It all seems to work (no errors, values for angle, Virtual Axis and so on are all coming out in debug texts that I am setting up) but no amount of tilting is affecting the player character. All works fine on iOS with the same setup.

I've added a pic of the debug text I am on about, with an Axis Value of -1 on iOS the character turns left, on aTV he stays straight and oblivious to turnings. The touch panel on the remote does turn the character (according to a post earlier in this thread that is intended).

20. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

It was awhile ago now (back when I was making Easy Input Helper for the Apple TV on the assetstore), but I also had issues with those on the Apple TV. That was back in November/December so my information is a bit dated.

21. dhaupert

dhaupert

I am having trouble getting my start menu to show the focus or let you select one of the choices. It comes up at start of the scene and has two buttons in a vertical group layout. Neither of them are selectable on the actual Apple Tv using siri remote.

I tried the tips in the sticky post at the top of this topic here, but it is not working for me:

1. Open Project Input settings in Unity Editor. Find first occurrence of "Submit" virtual input, expand it and change it's "Alt Positive Button" to "joystick button 14".
    2. Select EventSystem game object in your scene:
      1. In EventSystem component populate "First Selected" field with UI game object that should receive initial focus.
      2. You might need to check "Force input module" flag in "Standalone Input Module" component.
    Any other ideas what could be wrong? I am setting the First Selected field to the first button (start game) in my menu, and also tried putting the panel itself as the first selected object to no avail.

22. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Is the first button you set in the inspector actually selected and it just won't navigate or is nothing actually selected ever?

23. dhaupert

dhaupert

Thanks for your response!

Nothing is selected ever- I can see that the Apple TV is receiving clicks from the light blinking, but other than the home button returning to the main screen and the background game music playing, it is basically stuck at the start screen.

24. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

In your investigation I would focus on why the button never receives the initial focus even though you have it set to be selected upon initialization. Not being able to navigate when nothing is currently selected is expected behavior for any non raycasting navigation (keyboard, game controller, siri remote, etc.). Unlike the raycasting navigation (mouse, touchscreen) non raycasting navigation is always relative and requires something to be selected at all times. This is because the relative left, right, up, or down only make sense if you know where you are at right now.

Assuming you have the inspector set correctly, I would look into your project if there is any other code that may be stealing the current selection. If not perhaps try forcing the selection via code. I think you'll find once anything is selected that navigation will work for you.

25. dhaupert

dhaupert

Hi Chris,

I am seeing the same thing. I believe the #define MOBILE_INPUT used throughout the standard assets is 0 on Apple TV and so wherever in the code that is being checked is not functioning as a mobile device. I switched to not using CrossPlatformInput and just check the accelerometer directly and it's working (somewhat) for me. Give that a try as a temporary solution.

26. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I have those settings in a project of mine and I don't see any null reference errors so I don't think it should be related.

27. dhaupert

dhaupert

Anyone have any tips for using the remote setting:

UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowRemoteRotation = true;

I have set it but the axis still stay the same when I rotate the remote to landscape orientation. Seems to have zero effect on the Input.acceleration.

28. dhaupert

dhaupert

Hi,

You were too quick in responding- I discovered it wasn't related and deleted my post a minute or two afterward!
    Sorry to waste your time.

29. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

That setting maps to GCMicroGamepad.allowsRotation in the Apple API. If I remember right it effects some of the touch but not the gyro or accelerometer.

In general, I'm not so sure if you are doing motion controls that you'd actually want it to flip anyways. If you are doing a racing game if it performed like the phone when you approached 90 degrees all of a sudden the coordinates would flip (which I would think would be undesirable). In the end when I was making easy input helper for the Apple TV I decided to just expose a property in the inspector for how you wish to have the player hold the remote and then flip the touch, acceleration, and gyro manually, rather than relying on the OS to detect the orientation profile.

30. chrisscott

chrisscott

I came to the same conclusion re: the CrossPlatformInput not recognising the aTV, so I added it as a platform within four functions in CrossPlatformInput.cs:
    [Lines 27 to 70ish]
    SetEnabled("MOBILE_INPUT", true, true);
    switch (EditorUserBuildSettings.activeBuildTarget)
    {
    case BuildTarget.tvOS:
    [...others]
    }

SetEnabled("MOBILE_INPUT", false, true);
    switch (EditorUserBuildSettings.activeBuildTarget)
    {
    case BuildTarget.tvOS:
    [...others]
    }

[Lines 92 onward]
    private static BuildTargetGroup[] buildTargetGroups = new BuildTargetGroup[]
    {
    BuildTargetGroup.tvOS,
    [... others]
    }
    private static BuildTargetGroup[] mobileBuildTargetGroups = new BuildTargetGroup[]
    {
    BuildTargetGroup.tvOS,
    [... others]
    }

Now i can turn on/off mobile input and the accel data affects the player character just like on phones.

31. Anomius

Anomius

Thank you for the reply, hopefully this is something they may address in the future.

regards.

32. Boaimcoa

Boaimcoa

Thanks you very much

33. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Does Unity Multiplayer or Photon work with the apple tv?

34. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

wait, I found a link for photon and apple tv lol. But what about unity multiplayer?

35. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Good question...
    Also to add are we still in beta phase? A updatw by developers would be most welcome!

36. Serega192

Serega192

Hi there :)
    Is there any way to record voice by microphone on the remote controller or only Siri/Search button can use this feature?

37. Lasyin

Lasyin

Empty Unity TVOs build failed with 5 errors in Xcode. This Project has nothing in it, just a scene with a camera in it.
    All of the errors are in the "Keyboard.mm" file.
    Running Unity 5.3.4f1 and Xcode 7.3.
    The errors are listed below, any help would be appreciated! :)

/Desktop/Unity/EmptyTest/EmptyTVTest/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:172:56: 'UIKeyboardFrameEndUserInfoKey' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    /Desktop/Unity/EmptyTest/EmptyTVTest/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:187:56: 'UIKeyboardFrameEndUserInfoKey' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    /Desktop/Unity/EmptyTest/EmptyTVTest/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:272:100: 'UIKeyboardDidShowNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    /Desktop/Unity/EmptyTest/EmptyTVTest/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:273:101: 'UIKeyboardWillHideNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS
    /Desktop/Unity/EmptyTest/EmptyTVTest/Classes/UI/Keyboard.mm:275:107: 'UIKeyboardDidChangeFrameNotification' is unavailable: not available on tvOS

38. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

That was fixed in 5.3.4 p1 (first patch release).

MrEsquire likes this.
  39. Lasyin

Lasyin

Im using 5.3.4f1 and getting these errors- is 5.3.4 p1 different than 5.3.4f1? :S

EDIT: So they are different, I found the patch section on the Unity website- I didn't know about it until today! My bad :) Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  40. Serega192

Serega192

Anybody knows?

41. manny003

manny003

FYI. It would appear that " UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.allowExitToHome" is broken in the latest Beta 5.4.0b16

Getting error "MissingMethodException: Cannot find the requested method." in the Editor/Player

42. creat327

creat327

yeah and it is set to True by default! When before it was set to false

43. Stephane-Imbert

Stephane-Imbert

Hi, we are adding leaderboards to our Apple TV build and I was reading the first post on this thread and how we need to manually add the Leaderboard image to UnityImages.xcassets (which works).

Is there a way, or is there a plan for it at least, to specify the leaderboard image in Unity and not by modifying the Xcode project manually after it was generated. We have 32 leaderboards (one per level) and re-adding 32 image sets every time we have to re-generate the project is not a maintainable workflow :)

Thanks!

44. GeekyTime

GeekyTime

This is still an issue in Unity 5.4.0b19. Has anyone figured out a work-around?

45. hexagonius

hexagonius

Right now, we have a problem with our game on Apple TV. The problem is, that the game exits to the Apple TV home screen on B-Button press. This happens with an empty scene.
    The source of this problem seems to be the XCode "Game Controllers" capability, using "Micro Gamepad" (because of the SIRI) and either "Gamepad" or "Extended Gamepad", relevant for showing the support in the app store. I could not find a root cause for this, because setting break points in "UnityViewControllerBase" on all 4 view events does not execute anything when this happens.

What causes the gamepads B-Button to exit the game (besides the official pause button) without any coding involved?

This is a problem, because without the Capability the App Store does not seem to show gamepad support of any kind, but with it, the B button behaves the same as the pause button.

Using: Unity 5.3.4p6, XCode 7.3.1, TVOS 9.2.1

46. Thorny2000

Thorny2000

Sounds like your Gamepads B button is mapped to the remotes menu/exit button. Check your Input manager (Edit->Project Settings->Input).

47. hexagonius

hexagonius

I've tried building an empty scene, in an empty project, only turning gamepad capability in XCode on. The back button returns to the home screen in that case. Seems to be some default behaviour of TVOS.
    Any more ideas?

48. manny003

manny003

Unity In App Purchases Supported Officially for tvOS yet? The only thing I can find is that the "iOS App Store" is support but nothing explicitly stated about "tvOS" being supported.

I just need to know if I should spend time trying to fix some build issues I have regarding in-app purchases or just wait .

Manny

49. Axis-Games

Axis-Games

I am having this same problem with my game. It seems as tough even switching off all the services and commenting out all the code that uses IAP causes this same error. Did you find a solution?

50. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

I have successfully ran and tested Unity IAP on Apple TV (non-consumable). After importing the IAP plugin you need to find UnityPurchasing.m and UnityPurchasing.h dlls and check the StoreKit framework dependency for apple TV (this should be done every time unity IAP package is reimported!).