Search Unity

[Official] Unite 2014 Live blog-ish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

[I will be adding Keynote time codes/links and images soon]
    Hey everyone!

We're soon about to start the Unite Keynote!! I'll be keeping a log of what's happening and useful links for you in this post for those who miss the live stream or want some references later.

We are also live tweeting over on our twitter account http://twitter.com/unity3d You can also use #unite14 to follow the Unite news.

I'll be updating this main OP with everything.

[Blog starts here]

9am PST

David Helgason: "In spring we started working on Apple's metal. It shows great promise for rendering on iOS."

"Intel x86 mobile chips have been getting really really good, we partnered with Intel to make sure the games you're making run really well."

"We have to be more than an Engine."

"Your problems don't end with making a game, they end....never"

Announcements:

We've also started thinking about Smart TV's, we've partnered with Samsung for deployment to Samsung Smart TV.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/08/20/unity-4-5-for-samsung-smart-tv/

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-for-samsung-smart-tv-public-preview.263343/

We've also been working with Google for deployment on their Android TV set top boxes. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-patch-releases.246198/#post-1741635

9:28 PST

Lucas Meijer takes the stage.

To get fixes to you faster, we had to make some changes, we opened the issue tracker http://issuetracker.unity3d.com

Every week, we have a bug fix release, we've been really happy with this process so far. 15 releases and 223 bugs fixed.

Unity 4.6, it has a feature you've been asking for a while....

UI Demo. But for those at home, here are our learn materials. http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/ui

Unity 4.6 Open Beta today, you can download it at http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/4.6

The UI portion of 4.6 will be Open Source under the MIT license. The developer preview forum is now open for Unity 4.6 Open Beta discussions http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/developer-preview.60/

9:43am PST

Joachim Ante

Unity 5 demo (I can't describe it man, it's just too glorious, I will try an find you images)

Viking Village Demo.

10:05am PST

Lucas Meijer

Unity 5 Features

WebGL
    64Bit
    PhysX
    SpeedTree
    Asset Bundles

Collaboration, we'd like to make it easier for you to collaborate on scenes. Unity 5 will ship with a scene merge tool.

It's very clear to us that people want us to be more open, you may have seen increased activity on the forums and blog posts. So this is a feature that has a really long horizon, we have no idea when it's going to ship.

We have no idea if we can even reach the end of the demo without crashing....[lol]

The Director project.

Some things are hard to describe with code, we're on an experimental journey to figure out how we can make things easier in code.

[Proceed to show dragging and dropping animation, camera movement and sound into the sequencer to create a scripted sequence]

10:33am PST

Todd Hooper

Online services.

We acquired tsugi who are now Unity Austin.

Unity Cloud Build Open Beta

https://build.cloud.unity3d.com

Unity Cloud build lets you create build in the cloud. The Beta is now available for Pro users. In the future we will have pricing tiers but there will be a free tier for free users.

10:45am PST Jussi Laakkonen

Unity EveryPlay

New community features fro engagement. A Social feed for your game, you can highlight great gameplay, a great tool for community management.

You're in control of your games community page to make it look and feel like your game. This is a service update, there is nothing you need to do with your code.

Unity Ads

Building Ads that gamers actually like.

Giving players the choice of relevant video ads.

"We want to be the game engine that makes you money, not the one that takes a percentage of it."

Free cross-promotion of ads.

[Creating an ad campaign within Unity Ads]

11:05 David Helgason

"I'm sure half of you have downloaded the Unity 4.6 beta already"

"We're really trying our best to fulfil all your needs."

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    angrypenguin and rakkarage like this.
  2. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

And by updating.. You also mean Unity, right? ;)

3. Aurore

Aurore

BUMP important STUFF!!!

KRGraphics and Nanity like this.
  4. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

I missed the beginning. The twitter mentions Oculus. Is there more info on what was discussed about that?

5. Aurore

Aurore

It mentioned that a lot of people use Unity to develop on Oculus. Personally I can't remember that far back XD

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am definitely digging Real Time GI and PBR in U5... and the UI, SWEET

Aurore likes this.
  7. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Fantastic event! Kudos to showing off new features, and especially, to giving glimpses into the future. Well done, all around.

Gigi

Aurore likes this.
  8. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

I believe it was reported that 90+% of Oculus games were developed with Unity, and that 45% of mobile games are developed with Unity.

Gigi

Aurore likes this.
  9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just literally dropped my mouse when I saw Joachim demostrate the Universal Shader (sorry, Standard Shader is just so bland for a name) and the real time GI without having to touch ANYTHING, and the quick calculation really sealed the deal. Until now, I've been using Beast and I HATE, HATE, HATE waiting for it! Now I am just wondering also is if Skyshop still works with this, especially for skyboxes we make.

EDIT: Realtime GI was my NUMBER 1 want for Unity, and I am glad we will have it. PBR is cool too... though, I have Alloy, it is great to have choices. I would have loved to see a demo of PBR in action, and enlighten.

10. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Scene Merge tool sounds awesome, as does Unity Cloud Build. Collaboration should be much easier. GI and PBR look really good too. My only worry there is that the "dynamic" GI still seems to rely on a lot of content being static. My game has entire levels built procedurally at runtime, so it would be ideal if we could do the baking step within the engine instead of just within the editor.

Oh also - WOO 4.6 OPEN BETA

11. randomperson42

randomperson42

4.6 Open Beta - I can't believe it. :eek::)

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am tempted to have a play with 4.6, but I don't like Betas sometimes... but WHOO!! And I hope Unity will do something about Substances and get on the GPU engine :)

13. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Unity Cloud Beta doesn't support Asset Server? *sigh* I guess it's time to move to Perforce? Unity Cloud Options.png

14. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

What's up with substances? Do you mean you want PBR support? Or something else?

What do you mean by GPU Engine?

15. Breyer

Breyer

Substance have two engines - CPU based and GPU - actually Unity implemented CPU only so Substances cant benefit from GPU computation

16. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I thought the implementation was done by the Substance guys...

17. Breyer

Breyer

yeah i should write - integrated istead of implemented. Allegorithmic&Unity now work on this gap as Aras said as far as i remember but actual status is unknow

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I actually asked for Substances to be maxed at 4k, and that is something Unity will have to fix. I have models that will benefit from 4k textures and look DAMN GOOD up close. I am using Unity for real time visualisation and for game creation. For a one on one fighter that i am working on, why not push the envelope in quality. I'm using a 670M with 3gb of vram, plenty of muscle to work with. But that is for another topic.

19. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

I missed the part about the "Director" - is there any other info for that online?

20. inafield

inafield

Director is freaking amazing. It didn't crash in demo. In my scrum teams, that means it passes ;) So.... Unity, can we have Director... say..... tomorrow? Pretty please? :) If not, may Ceiling Cat bother you until you do release! :D

21. Agostino

Agostino

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  22. Ness

Ness

Can you publish Unite presentation earlier then usual? Releasing them over 3 months time span fells kinda XX century.

23. p87

p87

it's really a shame this was just for the keynote.. which was streamed live and available online anyways.

waiting on the other talks from unite... zzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's 2014 guys. I hope to see the entire conference streamed next year. Kind of ridiculous.

24. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Man, I just can't wait for 2 more months...

25. Aurore

Aurore

26. andmm

andmm

27. Aurore

Aurore

Getting people to look at it now.

28. inafield

inafield

Aurore likes this.
  29. Ness

Ness

Can we expect to see all of the Unite 2015 videos on yt like with Unite 2014? Could you upload more of these?

30. Aurore

Aurore

Yes. Please ask questions regarding Unite 15 in the Unite 15 thread in announcements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.