Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] QuickEdit: Edit any Mesh, as an instance or copy, right in Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

~

Edit any mesh, right from Unity 3D!
    Fast and Intuitive: uses Unity’s built in controls for zero learning curve
    Instancing or Copies: edit as an instance, or make a unique copy
    Variety: one mesh can now become infinite variations!

QuickEdit allows you to edit any non-skinned mesh right within Unity 3D. This is an amazingly useful tool, and has greatly improved my workflow, as it will for you!

Unity Asset Store- https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4464

Real-Time Instancing
    QuickEdit adds full “instancing” support to your meshes. This means you can edit the mesh once, and all other objects sharing the same mesh will update to match, in real time. Alternatively, you can edit the mesh as a copy, and it won’t change any others.

Variation
    Say you want to make several slightly different versions of a building, weapon, or character- QuickEdit lets you do this in seconds, and doesn't clutter up your project folder.

Modify Meshes to Fit Just Right
    QuickEdit is also great for modifying mesh objects to fit just right. Boulders, trees, architectural details, walls, debris- not only can you make them all fit just right, you can add tons of diversity to your gameworld, with minimal effort.

Edit Meshes Without Expensive Software
    Are you using a model that came in a proprietary format (max, blender, maya, etc), and don’t have the modeling program? Or maybe you aren’t familiar with the program, and don’t want to waste time with trial and error. With QuickEdit, just select the mesh, click, “Edit”, and use Unity’s own familiar tools and methods to modify the mesh however you like.

Speed Up Development
    Maybe, you want to see how a model would look with a slight change, but don’t want to waste time bouncing between programs, importing and exporting, re-building prefabs/materials/etc. QuickEdit makes it beautifully simple to try on new looks.

Thanks for taking a look at QuickEdit, let me know if you have any questions/requests/etc!

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. yahodahan

yahodahan

Several updates, and dropped price to $15! I'll admit I'm surprised there hasn't been a larger response- this tool has been incredibly useful in my own work, and I've had great input/responses from others. All sorts of useful to edit meshes right in Unity!

3. gecko

gecko

I just got this tool last week for a project and immediately realized what an essential tool it is for me. I'm not a 3D artist but I mess around with meshes all the time in Unity, and this tool gives me enormous freedom to tweak and fuss to get meshes just how I need them in a project. Very simple and easy to use, and great support from the developer. It's a lifesaver on this current project and I expect to use it on every project going forward -- especially when working with models from turbosquid and the asset store. Highly recommended!

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Dave!

5. radimoto

radimoto

Can I please request a feature?

soft selection (with sliders for strength and falloff)

This would really open up a lot of options for making edits to terrain, characters, faces, etc....

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great idea radimoto- we are hoping to have something like that added to ProBuilder very soon, and we'll merge the tech over to QuickEdit for sure.

7. khos85

khos85

Hi, can edit existing meshes (I think yes:)) but also use this in Unity animations?

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

QuickEdit does not work with animated meshes yet, sorry!

9. V0odo0

V0odo0

Is it possible to add a feature for selecting and editing polygons in this tool?

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sure, I think we'll add this and several other editing features in the future, but not relatively soon. ProBuilder is the current focus :)
    Thanks for the interest!

11. lod3

lod3

Looking for a tool to snap a vert from one object (that's being edited) to another vert from another mesh. This is to fix sloppy 3rd-party "modular" content. Can QuickEdit do this?

Thank you!

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi lod3- yes, that will work just fine with QuickEdit. Just double-checked that myself!

Sounds like a perfect use for the tool. Good timing too, as v1.4 was just shipped, which makes it compatible with Unity 4.3 (and all the way back to 3.5).

13. blueivy

blueivy

i wonder if this could be used for the type of customization in Sims 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMxVGmeO-s
    where you can just click and drag the bridge of the nose down to elongate. or widen the hips by pulling them. completely getting rid of sliders.

14. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

Hey
    I get this error since upgrading to 4.3.4:
    Assets/6by7/QuickEdit/Scripts/Editor/QuickEdit_GUI.js(40,55): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'constructor': UnityEngine.GUIContent.constructor(UnityEngine.Texture, String), UnityEngine.GUIContent.constructor(String, String).
    Assets/6by7/QuickEdit/Scripts/Editor/QuickEdit_GUI.js(60,55): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'constructor': UnityEngine.GUIContent.constructor(UnityEngine.Texture, String), UnityEngine.GUIContent.constructor(String, String).

15. raziel999

raziel999

Hey! The plugin works very well, i save the project and the scene, but after i close and open again the project, the meshes are back how they was before (original meshes). Whats the problem? Thanks!

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sure, that would work, though you would need to change a few things to make it an in-game tool.

Since this is a complex issue, could you post it to the official support forum at "www.procore3d.com/forum"? Thanks!

Sounds like you need to edit as a "Copy" first- otherwise you are editing as an "Instance" on the original, and Unity will auto-revert the changes. Check the documentation for detailed info on that: www.procore3d.com/docs/quickedit

17. blueivy

blueivy

Hi, you said I would need to change a few things to make quick edit an ingame tool. I would like to do that :D

18. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, you would need to, however it would be a very custom thing and I wouldn't know exactly what, that would rely entirely on your game/code, sorry :( Best bet is to dig through the existing code and find how to apply it in your specific case, using portions of QuickEdit, or an entirely custom solution :)

19. Tropobor

Tropobor

Maybe obvious but... What is the advantage(s) of QuickEdit for one who is already using Probuilder?

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Good question! :) ProBuilder can only edit "ProBuilder Objects", whereas QuickEdit can edit just about any imported mesh at all (skinned meshes being the exception).

21. Tropobor

Tropobor

Ok, Thanks. But, just to clarify:
    When you say "edit", it means: with QuickEdit you can move vertices... ok... and what else...?
    So far, it is not at all a problem, because I do understand the advantages of editing one object without breaking its uv coordinates.
    Moreover; I can imagine that if I try to edit an object (build somewhere else) with Probuilder, then its uv mapping coordinates will explose very quickly. Am I right ?

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi there! Yes, QuickEdit is just as it sounds- a way to quickly edit imported meshes. Nothing fancy at all.

However, we did just complete a from-scratch rebuild of the tool, and it now allows full Vert, Edge, and Face manipulation, plus a much better UI. A long-needed upgrade!

As for editing with ProBuilder (vs QuickEdit), we just finished a major revamping of the "ProBuilderize" function, which is now much, much smarter. So you could certainly ProBuilderize a mesh, edit it with full control just like an external 3D tool, and then save it in your project, out as an OBJ, etc... :)

chelnok and blueivy like this.
  23. Tropobor

Tropobor

Ok, Great ! But still...;)
    How Probuilder and Quick Edit will manage respectively with pre existing uv coordinates and vertex color infos ?
    And when will be the availability of these fresh new tools on the asset store?

24. yahodahan

yahodahan

ProBuilder, with that update, is already up and ready on the market :)
    QuickEdit is on the way...a week?

I'm not sure about your question though...are you worried about the UVs or vert colors being lost? They shouldn't be, no.

25. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi,

I have ProCore and i would like to edit an existing mesh, but i would like to add/remove vertices/edges/faces.
    As I understand i can't do this with any of the ProCore tools, correct?

26. yahodahan

yahodahan

Actually, yes you can! :) Just use the "ProBuilderize" function in ProBuilder, and it will become a fully-editable ProBuilder Object.

HugoCosta likes this.
  27. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

ProBuilderize doesn't work with Skinned Mesh Renderer? Is there a workaround?

Thank you.

Thaina likes this.
  28. Wilbert-Blom

Wilbert-Blom

Could you please add the possibility to move and rotate the pivot ?

If there's something you would like to 'QuickEdit' then often it's the pivot!

29. TheOz

TheOz

I wish to use quickedit to delete some edges on a mesh of a building. I can't seem to get quick edit to delete an edge. I highlight the edge (it turns green) and hit the delete key on my mac and nothing happens. what am I doing wrong?

Garry@crazybeardentertainment.com

30. Rich_A

Rich_A

This asset has been deprecated. Is there an official replacement from Unity now that Procore has been acquired?

If not, any other assets that can do the same thing?

31. zero_null

zero_null

Hello Guys!
    Why this great asset is deprecated? I want to edit my mesh inside Unity. Is there any replacement tool available?
    Specially one that is with such great quality.

32. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, where is the generated mesh, when you choose "Combine Meshes" in tools > menu > quickedit > combine mesh

33. Thaina

Thaina

As of 2019 is seem ProBuilderize still cannot work with skinned mesh

34. Disastercake

Disastercake

This tool was a huge help for my project over the years because it worked with Skinned Meshes.

Is this tool deprecated now because it will no longer exist or will it be included free with Unity now like your other tools?

35. BellBlitzKing

BellBlitzKing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Thaina, Whatever560, sirleto and 4 others like this.
  36. halley

halley

The package above seems to import successfully in 2021.3.14f MacOS Intel, but the code does nothing. A new item in the Tool menu appears, but all commands from it are grayed out.

37. BellBlitzKing

BellBlitzKing

Hey. I’m not familiar with Unity on Mac and I’ve not upgraded to 2021.3.14 to find out. So your greyed out experience may be just part of Unity’s changes in the background, upgrade-to-upgrade. Feel free to make changes to the included scripts and I can add the 2021.3.14 version to GitHub

38. MatrixNew

MatrixNew

Tell me, are there control buttons?
    And yes, thanks to the developers!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024 at 2:27 PM