Search Unity

1. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] New Terrain System

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by bibbinator, Jul 4, 2014.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

oh, that is really bad news.

2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Thanks. It is a rendering solution only as it picks up the prototypes and distribution from the terrain.
    Due to the abstraction unity's terrain uses to store and build grass the amount of data which is needed to populate a 600x600m terrain is about 2–8MB. Storing per instance data instead (localToWorldMatrix) would need about 300MB.
    It supports grass, smaller foliage like fern or nettles and small objects you would paint using the built in vertexLit shader like small stones or any other kind of greeble.

3. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Yea, I see. For my system it's an all in one, both painting and rendering with custom shaders.

However your approach might be better for huge quantities, instances take a lot of space. The bad part of my system is the fact that at the moment it only uses instances making it bad for huge quantities. It would work kinda of for terrains that are about 4x4km in size but it would not be a solution for anything larger than that.

I have an API for runtime appending of instances but I also need some other logic to generate the foliage on the fly... I've thought at detail maps, spawning volumes with rules, horizon zero dawn style spawning etc... but implementing any of those will take a ton of time. I'll have see what solution might be the best for my case. Maybe the integration of some 3rd part API that already does that would be the most beneficial. Since with tools like gena I'm sure the market does not need any extra procedural spawning tools, but tools that render all that data in an optimal manner...

4. Been_Maya

Been_Maya

@larsbertram1 Can you explain the workflow already for your new asset?

5. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you add grass, flowers and foliage to the terrain just the way you are used to: either painting it by hand or using tools like terrain composer, map magic or gaia.
    then you attach the grass manager script and hit play. done.
    of course you may do some tweaks afterwards :)

neoshaman and Been_Maya like this.
  6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Baldinoboy and AntonBertelsen like this.
  7. aliyeredon2

aliyeredon2

What use-cases, features, workflows do you have or would like to see?
    - Tessellation shader
    - Compatible with custom trees and SpeedTree's tree
    - UE4's like brush gizmo
    - Accept custom shaders for grass without adding them into the terrain shader body
    ***- Road system based on textures and not based on actual geometry (if it's possible)
    - More sample files based on unity pbr shaders (tree,grass,rock)
    - Better brushing values. I always use "1" value as brush opacity to paint slowly. Higher values are unusable (too fast)

Quique-Martinez likes this.
  8. JacobSmaga

JacobSmaga

9. virror

virror

#WeNeedNewTerrainSystem

10. Lysander

Lysander

I would just like to point out that the hashtag idea, while cute, is actually quite annoying in practice. I can understand wanting to annoy the actual staff into making improvements, but given that normal users make up 99% of the activity on the support forums, and some of us are set up to receive notifications on threads like these every time a new post is made, this seems a less than ideal way of actually doing that.

11. christoph_r

christoph_r

In response to the new thread at:

That's actually a pretty clear answer. It's not a priority and there won't be releases any time soon. And I'm guessing they'll feel even less inclined to put a lot of effort into a new terrain system once TerraFirma and Vegetation Studio are out. Plus, from what I've seen in the last years, I'm quite sure that no amount of forum lobbying is going to convince Unity to dedicate a larger team of developers to this issue. So, don't count on Unity, if you need better terrain you'll have to bite the bullet and get all those terrain tools from the asset store.

Martin_H and Lysander like this.
  12. Quast

Quast

#WeNeedNewTerrainSystem
    [FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Fight for our engine, Fight for Unity. :D[/FONT]

13. magique

magique

Looks really nice, but one of the biggest complaints with existing Unity solutions like grass is the poor performance. Does your grass solution perform better than Unity grass or just look better?

Lysander likes this.
  14. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze