Search Unity

[Official] Looking for CAD/SketchUp importing Beta Users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo-Yaik, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hello all

We are currently working having Unity to import CAD and SketchUp files. If you are

1. A Unity user and uses CAD or SketchUp files
    2. Want to enhance your CAD/SketchUp visualization
    3. Want to show case your CAD/SketchUp file in multiple platforms
    4. Or simply just want to try out this feature

For those who are interested, please go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/unity-simviz and request to join the group

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Bump! Still looking for Beta testers, if you are interested please sign up!

3. 3agle

3agle

Can I ask here what the intention of this tool is?
    In our experience CAD is awful to work with in engines and we have to spend a lot of time taking clients CAD and optimising it before use. Is the intent to do some automatic cleanup on these to make them more friendly and less 'here's a cube with 10k polys'?
    If so that would be incredibly useful for us provided it does a good job on the cleanup (that's a big proviso considering some of the models we receive though...).

4. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Hi 3agle

We are still finalizing the feature set and would love some real world feedback like yours.

We would appreciate if you can sign up for the beta if you haven't done so.

Cheers

5. CptDustmite

CptDustmite

Signed up. Agree with 3agle, we have the same problem.

As in my form response:

Several of our clients supply 3D CAD models in various formats of their sites and equipment for use in Unity, however as these are extremely high poly and unoptimised, they usually need to be completely remade or re-topologised. This is a very long process and in addition to the actual geometry we also need to keep the CAD objects' metadata intact (e.g. properties attached to the object) - in a standard import into a program such as 3ds Max, this metadata is lost, and therefore we've had to develop our own pipeline to export the metadata and import it into Unity along with the optimised geometry.

6. mikaelwallin

mikaelwallin

I am extremely interested. I have signed up.

I am a programmer I have been thinking of doing this myself since all I work with is CAD files together with Unity.

I agree with both the above posters as well. Since some CAD formats have grown massive I do not think it is possible to support every feature.

7. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

I signed up.
    We at Animech Technologies are also extremely interested in this, since this is right up our alley.
    Now, if you were to include CAD import at runtime... I would personally send donuts to each and every one of you.

zDemonhunter99 and angrypenguin like this.
  8. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

Hi. Are there news about it? I just found the thread.. is the beta program still open? do you have any plan for the public release?

thanks

9. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies