Search Unity

[OFFICIAL] 2D Sorting feedback

Discussion in '2D' started by pvloon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. CarterG81

CarterG81

Honestly I wouldn't expect anything soon. Best to just use the above method as your default way and forget about it. Otherwise you may be waiting a really long time. Some issues seem to fall under the rug for years.

IJhunter likes this.
  2. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

I am sure that I've seen some kind of update on this recently, either here in the 2D forum or in the Experimental Preview forum. Someone from Unity said that they're working on a way of allowing the user to choose between pivot or sprite center-based sorting. I can't seem to find that post now. (I think that it was buried in a post about something else.) Maybe @rustum can update us?

3. jeffreyschoch

jeffreyschoch

IJhunter and AssembledVS like this.
  4. arvzg

arvzg

Has anyone figured out what the new Sort by Pivot Point feature does? I've been playing around with it but I can't get it to do anything:

• I laid out two of the same sprites at the exact same position with the same sorting layer and order in layer.
    • It's got its pivot set to the bottom. One has sprite sort point center, the other has sort point pivot
    • I gave one of them a tint to differentiate which one is which
    • I switched the sprite sort points around, expecting the order it's drawn to be changed, but nothing happened

5. jeffreyschoch

jeffreyschoch

@arvzg

That's probably because the default sorting axis is using Z axis, so if the pivot and center points are both at the same Z, you won't observe a drawn order change.

To do what I think you're trying to do, you would also need to set the Transparency Sort Axis to (0, 1, 0) to sort vertically.

arvzg likes this.
  6. arvzg

arvzg

I've worked with Unity for 5+ years and somehow never knew about transparency sort axis. Today I learned!

jeffreyschoch likes this.
  7. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

8. IJhunter

IJhunter

9. alifelove

alifelove

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  10. jeffreyschoch

jeffreyschoch

That can be solved with SortingGroup component.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  11. Shadoninja

Shadoninja

For anyone grave digging like me, Unity supports sorting by pivot now. It is a setting on the sprite renderer:

Lars-Steenhoff and CarterG81 like this.