Search Unity

[OFFICIAL] 2D Experimental Preview

Discussion in '2D' started by Johaness_Reuben, May 30, 2016.

1. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

We are extremely excited to announce the 2D Experimental Preview!
    This is a publicly available early access version to try out all the new and experimental features being developed by the 2D Team.

Head over to the 2D Experimental Preview Forum to grab the latest release and participate in discussions and feedback on the new 2D features in development.

salihkallai and LiberLogic969 like this.
  2. biscito

biscito

so smartsprite, ? we don't care about the UX, we'v tested we get 1 drawcall for a full scene with it, and 4 for just one ferr2D terrain

so please please drop it like it's hot !!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Makosai likes this.
  3. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

4. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

I love to see investment in 2d tooling. Having said that... :)... this is really "Retro 2D" tooling isn't it? Any hope in getting some love for other forms of 2D?

I'm currently building a 2D game, but with 3D "feel". Limbo would be a good example of a game that was 2D but had the feel of a 3D side-on game.

I'd love to see tooling in the following areas:

- Building out environments from non-rectilinear ground e.g. rolling hills rather than flat edges as in retro 2D
    - Generation of 2D doodads and similar environmental assets based on a "feed" of 2d assets with clustering of doodads + random arrangement of said assets
    - Ability to "drive / move" through a 2D game, in design mode that previews paralaxing, and camera location (based on where the game's hero would be relative to the ground)
    - OOB camera systems for "forward looking" camera based on facing direction of hero, automatic smooth of camera, built-in scripts for camera shake
    - Tools for room based level design with virtualization in mind, see the INSIDE perf talk on how they built their level load infrastructure

I currently "hack" all of this tooling together to suit my needs, but I have to imagine it's pretty common stuff and would love to see some first class editor support for it or more hooks to make it easier to build and share.

CelticKnight likes this.
  5. MikeWiering

MikeWiering

Is there any way to have tilemaps with non-square tiles? My tiles are 20x14 pixels (they look fine in the Tile Palette). I tried changing the Y scale, but that just scales everything including the gaps.

If not, will that be supported in the future?

angelo.png

DrMobil likes this.
  6. jessewwarner

jessewwarner

I know this was asked a while ago but just in case someone else comes along and sees this. You can change the cell size in the Grid gameobject in the hierarchy