Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 offer !✅] Particle Dynamic Magic URP -Advanced FX Framework (Decal, Particle, Spline, AI)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

One note for the new v1.5

The Refraction 2-3-4 shaders (for Unity Pro) should not be assigned a texture in the MainTexture property.

Refraction 1 shader can have a texture.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I am working on 2D compressible water for the next version. The goal is to mix surface interaction techniques with full particle grid (not just long rectangles).

4. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi are you planning to add the dynamic batching to a latter version or is it hiding some where in this version ? The prefab manager is much easier to use but it might be an idea to make the slider scroll to the top when you select a different category and also some are giving errors because they don't have certain layers set up.

I'm surprised how fast those butterflies run on mobile. Now I just need to come up with an excuse to add butterflies to my game.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Ian,

I am glad to see you like the new effects and additions :)

The dynamic batching was made after this version was submitted, so will come in v1.5.1 later. The script is ready, but i did not yet have the time to install to the main pack and test extensively for release.

Since i cant evaluate when i will have the time to test and release proper (plus update the manual and everything else required), if you would like i can send you a pack with the script and some other required updates, before doing the final clean up, so you can start working with it.

As for the Manager, i agree that it feels very strange if it is not reset, so i will try to fix it for v1.5.1 :)

About the layers (and tags i guess), i am not sure how to handle that beyond mentioning the setup in the manual, i will look into it, perhaps in the manager it will give a warning if layers or tags are not setup for the relevant effects, that will probably take some time to check and handle for all effects though, so will come after v1.5.1.

EDIT: i did a check and i think the tags are added when inserting the pack and adding the effects. The layers are not added as in my main pack setup though, so i will try to find a solution for that. It seems they are replaced by the layer name that is in the same position as it was in the one i am working on, so they wont give an error if there are more than 8 layers on the scene, they will replace though the correct layer with another name (but will work).

So a quick fix would be to add up to 8 layers and see which layer is assigned in the particle to particle collision sample colliders and replace it.

I am a bit confused as to why Unity does not keep layers, feels very strange, there must be something i am missing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  6. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I think just mentioning how to setup the layers or tags to get them working in the manual is fine. It isn't a major issue. Also it would be great if you could give me that script to test out. You could either just add it to this forum or send it to me in a pm when it is ready for testing.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will export the scripts in a pack and send it in a PM

If i cant attach to PM, i will probably need an email to send it there.

I attach a pic of what items are new and which are replaced, so you could do a small backup of those before adding these new scripts.

Also thanks for the insight on mobile performance, i have made the effects as optimized as possible, but did not have the time to test on mobile, so it is very nice to know it has such great performance :)

On a side note, since you work on mobile, would you be interested to test the new Global Illumination system i am working on ? I use point lights and i cant test on a good mobile phone (mine is rather basic) to see if it will work well there. Let me know if you are interested. Here is the link to the relevant thread and demo: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gl...y-gi-approximation-for-every-platform.261453/

8. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I would be happy to try out your gi system on mobile. You could attach that to the pm as well if you want. If you can't attach files to the pm then another way you could do it would be to drop box link and then send me that link in the pm. I'm guessing the files might be too large to send by email.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the offer to test the new GI system :), will be really usefull.

It will take a bit to get all features in, so i will send that a bit later, i will let you know when it is ready to be put on test :)

I have made some basic clean up to the batching script and will upload to my dropbox and PM the link in a few minutes.

I have three samples, one with static batching, one with dynamic batching and particles that melt away and regrow and one with dynamic batching that keep particles alive, until they are melted with fire.

These are named 10a, 10b,10c in the Fire and Ice scene.

The dynamic batching uses the particle pool to determine if particles changed state, so it cant be used as standalone for other pools than the propagtion system ones. Of course i plan to add an option to check on particle changes locally later, but that requires a bit more planning, since i will have to optimize and test this function.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

11. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

The dynamic batching makes a huge difference on mobile. The scene 10b went from 11 fps to 46 fps on my phone.when using refraction. Strangely it doesn't make such a difference on my vita though I only get 14 fps on it although it's still higher than the 6 fps it had without it on.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is great to know, that is about the same difference i get in my laptop too (10-15fps without and 45-50fps with batching).

Does the static batching give a good result too ? Also do you use deferred or forward rendering ?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  13. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I get 40fps with the static batching so it is slightly slower but not much. I guess the speed difference will largely depend on the scene and how dynamic the particles are though. All the figures I gave are with forward rendering. Deferred is usually slower on mobile. I get 30 fps if I switch to deferred on mobile.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Nice, thanks for the stats, 40fps sounds great for recombining the mesh constantly.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I am now working on an extra batching mode, that will batch pool items under bones in a single skinned mesh. This will probably come in v1.5.2, after v1.5.1 is out with the current mesh based batching.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new version (1.6) will contain many new features and additions

- New batching system for gameobject particles, reduce draw calls to a minimum for use in mobile.

- New transition manager feature to allow in place transitions between force manipulators, so complete particle systems can be transitioned, including manipulation. New sample scene will be included, showcasing in place state changes with the new force state change system.

- The attractor can now end particle life on demand on affected particles, which allows subemitters to emit on demand.

Other additions
    - Prefab Manager will reset the scroll position after moving to new category

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi everyone,

I have decided to make a big offer to the supporters of my Particles pack. Every reviewer will get a free copy of my new Global Illumination pack which will be delivered to the email of your choice. The review is the easiest way to verify the pack was actually sold.

Just PM me a desired email from the account that made the review and i will send the pack, so you can start working with the GI proxy right away. I plan to send the current beta version as soon as possible and all major updates until release, so you will not even have to wait for the release in the store :)

The offer will stand until the end of August.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 1.6 has been submitted at the store !!!

Brings new static and dynamic batching to gameobject particles (for minimizing draw calls and dramatically increased speeds in refractive particles).

Also new Transition features (transition between different particle types, including gameobject particles, define different forces per transition step etc), upgrades to the Prefab Manager and much more

The pack will also go on sale this week (submitted the new price on Monday) and will be 30% off for a limited time. Make sure to grab it while the discount is on and also make sure to leave a review to get GI Proxy pack for free :) (offer lasts until end of August)

Now i will be working more on Spline features (collisions, extra real time behaviors like snapping etc) and start on DX11 (the base for Turbulence and Image emission is already working). The DX11 implementation progress will depend a lot on the sales, the faster the sales the faster DX11 will arrive.

A new demo on dynamic transitions between dynamic states is also ready and i will upload it soon. It showcases the ability to transition particles in real time among various emitter types and change the particle dynamic to any other system during the transition in a smooth way.

19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Does anyone know why some models animate when skinnedmesh of turned off and some dont ?

Also sometimes the constructor model will stop animating and a scene reload will fix it.

Is it a known bug ? The "always animate" option does not seem to affect either case

I am trying to put together a demo for the new Transitions features and am stuck at this, since i dont want skinnedmesh to show, just the particles around it animate with it so the transition is 100% dynamic at all times.

The strange thing is that there are models that just work all the time and always animate the mesh without the skinnedmesh component active. Or could be just chance :)

20. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Do you have the same issue with the animations when you actually build the project ? My guess is that the animations play settings are being overridden by the editor controls in the same way a particle system will play even if it isn't set to play when it is selected in the editor. In order to hide the mesh couldn't you just disable the mesh renderer or if that doesn't work simply give it a material that is completely transparent ?

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have not tried building it TBH, i will check that.

What i do is simply disable the SkinneMeshRenderer and in some models the animation will get updated, in others it wont

Another problem is that the way i check if the animation is updated is through the particles assigned to the mesh, so i cant be 100% certain it is not something related to how i grab the vertices at each frame in combination to the disabled SkinnedMeshrenderer or not.

The transparency idea is also good, if all else fails i will go that way

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Particle Dynamic Magic v1.6.1 will have the following features:

- New transition features (add mask texture per target step, add local gravity per target and exponential choice for faster incremental target approach).

- New dynamic batching standalone mode, the script will check for position etc changes without the need of a pool particle, so can be used for any object pool, even if it not a particle dynamic magic pool script.

- New demos showcasing the above

These are the features i am working on so far, more may be added by the release

Particle Dynamic Magic v1.6 was submitted this monday, so should be up on the store soon with a -30% discount too :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle Dynamic Magic v1.6 is now on the store :) and the 30% discount offer is on.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Initial pool state

After adding more objects (by istantiating an object that has the script, will automatically create the pool if not exist and add itself, all next ones will add themselves to the pool with the batching system). The combiner will activate itself only if there is a change in position, rotation or scale in the combined objects. The script will also handle destroyed objects.

UPDATE:

Dynamic batching (without pool particle to check changes) is now ready, the script is autonomous and will batch added objects to the pool automatically.

Also i have created a script that will create the pool and add objects to it when you instantiate the object, so any instantiation with the script attached will automatically be handled by the dynamic batching system.

If you buy/have bought the pack, remember to leave a written review and i will email the new Global Illumination pack for free. The offer lasts until end of August (will end this Sunday).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Two combined meshes for the two different materials, auto created and handled by the dynamic batching.

The system will also auto handle multiple materials, so batched objects dont have to be the same material.

One combined mesh is created for every material and the system will recalculate everything on the fly, if objects are deleted etc

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ice to energy spell (will be energy to ice in the final form :), just have to switch particles)

Here is a small demo of the spells i am working on based on Particle Dynamic Magic transitions. I have added some extras in the transition module (v1.7) to better handle the motion and reach of target.

Also i am flooding with new ideas about extra options for the transitions, i have added 3 new features just the last 3 hours :) (speed, size growth and mask per step) and have planned at least another four ( let loose, keep previous, change duration per step and loop on/off option).

Webplayer - spell progress:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MY_RPG_SPELLS/PDM_MY_RPG_SPELL1.html

3dFoin likes this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The extra features have been added in the Transition Manager and a new demo will come soon.

Particle Dynamic Magic is on sale (- 30%), so make sure to grab it cheap today.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

The asset makes it in the store front favourites !!!!

Many thanks to the asset store team :)

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

All new per step properties added to the Transition Manager:

- Speed
    - Size growth
    - Mask per step
    - Let loose on mesh
    - Keep previous particle system alive
    - Change duration
    - Remove gravity
    - Reach size time
    - Distance based extra speed factor that will make particle travel faster (or slower if needed) towards targets further away.

Also added an option to stop the looping motion so the effects will cycle targets only once.

The new target manager will automate the assignement of targets to the transition manager, for easilly setup of spells in an actual game, making effects like freezing multiple enemies in order a breeze to setup.

The new samples will include multiple target freeze with a single spell and break to pieces :), hopefully i will have a demo finilized today, i am very close.

I will also post a demo from the system used in my RPG game, where i use the Dual Shader asset to gradually freeze the enemies before i break them to pieces, for extra cool effect.

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle Dynamic Magic sale will last a few more days, so make sure to grab the pack while it lasts.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note about the Prefab Manager.

The way it is coded, it gets the content from a specific directory inside Particle Dynamic Magic folder, so if there are any issues with the Manager, try to relocate the Particle Dynamic Magic directory to the root of the project, so that the Manager may find the items.

32. aormsby

aormsby

Hi nasos_333, I'm looking into using gameobject emission for clumps of objects in a mobile game. Does gameobject emission with particles reduce/batch draw calls in comparison to just using a bunch of gameobjects? Is this something I can take advantage of with your package?

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

There are two answers to that.

You can either use meshes from the Unity particle system, which will batch by default.

Or use gameobject particles that can be batched with the new system in v1.6.

From my tests, the batching of gameobject particles allow very few draw calls when effects like refraction are used and can dramatically increase speed. I dont know if this effect can be used on mobile, but if it can this batching will help a lot.

In the current version (1.6) you can use the static batching in any gameobject pool (including a gameobject particle pool), or the dynamic batching with a Propagation system ("enable_combine" parameter must be set on to allow dynamic batching and the batching script must be set in the gameobject pool parent for the Propagator script to find it, then it will control the batching, enabling and disabling it when it senses a change in the particle).

Check the latest demo scene in Version 1.5 folder ("8. Effects showcase FIRE and ICE 14") for samples of the

1. static batching setup
    "10a. FIRE vs ICE STATUE - CONSTANT BATCHING OPTIMIZATION" gameobject group

2. two dynamic batching setups, one will keep particles alive until melted, the other will auto melt and regrow ice
    "10b. FIRE vs ICE STATUE - DYNAMIC BATCHING OPTIMIZATION"
    "10c. FIRE vs ICE STATUE - FULL OPTIMIZE and KEEP PARTICLES ALIVE"
    gameobject groups

The logic is that the combine script has "auto disable" on, which will turn the batching off after the first grouping. Then the Propagator script will look in the parent, get the script and when it sense a change in particles will re-enable it and let it recombine the objects and deactivate again. Thus the combination is done only when gameobjects actually move.

v1.7 that is hopefully coming soon (the systems/code is ready and tested, just need to make the manual and some tweaks in the scenes) can apply dynamic batching in a pool of gameobjects independent of particles too (the combiner checks its pool of gameobjects for changes), so you dont need another batching pack or have the Propagation script limitation.

Hope these help, let me know if there any further questions :)

If you would like to have the v1.7 scripts earlier than the release on the store, i can provide a package with them right away, just let me know. It will also include the cool new spell mutlitargeting system and updates to Transitions module.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  34. 3dFoin

3dFoin

the ice to energy is awesome :D it'll be usefull for example a summon a God of Ice he shows up as particles and Boom turns into flying ice stalactites XD

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), took a lot of experience points to get to this point of the effect

The transition manager will be complete in the next version (1.7) and will allow all kinds of combinations of particles systems, targets etc

Many of your monsters have got the ice spell treatment in my RPG :), some gather ice as you spread particles with a stream on their colliders, others grow them on the mesh directly and now the extension of this was to drive them from any source to the target mesh, so the effect looks more realistic and connected

The summon idea is also very cool, i have already put the mesh script to use and have pre-defined ice monsters with many models, but actually growing the monster was something i have not done yet :) and should be trivial with the new system.

BTW, i just noticed this above is not the final demo, here is the effect used in multitarget spells with multiple skinned targets (that can be destoyed to ice or remain and be frozen again)

One cycle freeze and break target spell
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MY_RPG_SPELLS/PDM_MY_RPG_SPELL4_ONCE.html

Multi freeze and return, cycle between two targets (any target, return number and combination/order is possible)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MY_RPG_SPELLS/PDM_MY_RPG_SPELL4_CYCLE.html

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

v1.7 update is ready to be submitted, the manul has been written (that was something, so many new options to document !! :) ) and everything is going smoothly in the tests so far.

A bit more patience and will arrive this week (hopefully the review should be fast)

I will try to submit tomorrow.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The v1.7 pack has been succesfully submitted to the store and pending review. Should be up in the next few days.

The new price is 65$ and the current 50$ one will last until the review is done, so should be low price for a few more days.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the Dual shader asset that the new Freeze effect spell uses. If the asset is not available, it reverts to simple color change.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14581

I also plan to offer a similar shader in Shader Forge later, so the system may not need any external assets.

To do for v1.8

- Create and integrate in the pack a similar to Dual shader in Shader Forge
    - Masked mesh emission - Mask manipulation for emulating sticking sprayed ice effects in procedurally changing items with 100% dynamic mesh conformation and realism on the area of spray impact.
    - Add multi target spell prefabs for various spells
    - Augment the Splines with more controls and effects
    - Mesh creation along splines
    - Vine creation and city mass destuction samples

Also i am thinking of providing a new bundle of Particle Dynamic Magic and the Global Illumination Proxy systems together, they will have a lower price than getting them individually (80$ than 105$ (65$+40$)) and i may also add in the whole PDM angry bots demo, adding GI too so there is a very good sample of in game implementation for both packs.

Would you be interested in something like that ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  39. nasos_333

nasos_333

The review for the pack is not over yet, so it is discounted for a few more hours (or days maybe)

Grab it while it lasts :)

40. 3dFoin

3dFoin

The other demos are really cool too Nasos :D I'm surprised at how particles can be used nowadays, with Particle Dynamic Magic it's like there's no limit for game special effects, this is amazing :D

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

:), thanks for the kind comments

There is still a big number of ideas to expend the system, like remove any limitation of what can stick to what.

For example, i want particles to stick to procedurally changing/turning book pages (which is already availbale in masked mesh script), but only where i spray them with another particle (like the collisions system).

That is the next step and i am currently working on that for my RPG, i have a clear idea of how to do it with controlling the mask texture.

and the final step is to allow skinned mesh to have the same treatment, which is a bit more tricky since i dont know how/if it updates its collider. The skinned mesh case though can be handled with proper colliders attached to bones to approximate the animated mesh, but i just want to reach the absolute possible detail at some point :)

And of course DX11 is a next step too.

Since the system has gameobjects as well as particles and splines, i no longer see it as a particle system, but more like an advanced object control system, which can be expanded in various ways. Forgot the new mesh effects from splines i am working on too :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  42. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 1.7 is now up in the Asset Store, bringing new cool Transition features, dynamic batching for every object and more.

The sale is also over, but i have set the price lower so it is easier on indie budgets :)

Also there will be more sales in the coming months.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Now that v1.7 is out, I can start working on cool new features for v1.8 and continue on the DX11 effects for v2.0. Just to clarify, DX11 will be a free bonus to the pack, a big thanks to every supporter :) and will be open code like the rest of the pack. The price may increase a bit at that point to help augment the DX11 effects further.

If there is a need for a specific feature, please let me know so i can add it to the list. :)

To do for v1.8

- Create and integrate in the pack a similar to Dual shader in Shader Forge
    - Masked mesh emission - Mask manipulation for emulating sticking sprayed ice effects in procedurally changing items with 100% dynamic mesh conformation and realism on the area of spray impact.
    - Add multi target spell prefabs for various spells
    - Augment the Splines with more controls and effects (ground conform etc)
    - Mesh creation along splines
    - Vine creation and city mass destuction samples
    - Add Prefab Manager items for the new additions in v1.7-1.8
    - Add per segment particle type (and gameobjects) to Splines and extrusion of circular etc surfaces along line with taper effects.
    - Spiral and custom functions around spline (for both mesh and particles)
    - Gameobject emission from masked mesh system.
    - Add many more Complex Spells samples with the new Transitions system
    - Add more portal effects (with Refraction for Pro users) and new shaders
    - Add border effects for card games etc

The goal for v1.8 is to add at least 50 new ready effects in the Prefab Manager (currently at 200+ sample effects) and hopefully have 300+ ready sample effects available by v1.9 :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Prefab Manager

Just two reminders

1. Dont forget to use the Prefab Manager to access the ready effects in an easy and organized way. The manager contains 200+ ready effects and will keep growing.

2. The manager will work only if Particle Dynamic Magic folder is in the project root folder.

If there are any requests for more effects, please let me know so i can add them in a next update.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new series of shaders is incoming to give new cool effects for all particle systems

- Vegetation mass vertex motion shader, to give cool wind effects to the scattered and batched 3D grass, wind effects for minimal fps impact

- New cool dynamic effects, for 3D and mesh partciles that change shape and color in real time, artistic style (sample in pic above)

All shaders will be Shader Forge compatible and editable.

46. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Dynamic meshes particles sounds like a great addition. Also your gameobject batching in the latest version works great. The only thing I have noticed is that it errors when then number of triangles goes over the maximum amount supported in unity per object. I think you need to add a check and make it create a new pool when that number is exceeded or if that would slow it down due to performance reasons then at least have an option to specify the maximum number of objects to batch per pool.

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am working on the dynamic mesh for my game, so if all go well should arrive soon.

I have also solved the vertices limitation for the baching a few days back :), since i use the system in my new INfiniDy pack that did go over the limit, so i had to handle it. Now i split to more than one groups with the same material if goes over 65K vertices.

If you like i can adapt to PDM before v1.8 and send the new file to use, so you can have any number of objects in one pool.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a list of all the required tags by the various systems, for reference

"Conductor" (allow to conduct lightning)
    "Flammable" (allow to catch fire)
    "Grass" (to handle grass particles right with forces, wont move in x-Z, only Y)
    "Freezable"
    "Flamer" (lights Flammable with fire)
    "PPaint" (to start painting on an object with painter and propagator classes)
    Tag objects as "VortexSafe” to stop vortexes effect in Turbulence enabled attractors
    Use "PDM_Batch_Pool" tag for marking pool for batching for the automatic insertion of the prefab in the pool.

These are all better explained in the manual, per system. But i guess a summary will also come in handy when setting up a new project.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

HARRY MAGIC system.

Target

Did you Know ?

That with Particle Dynamic Magic is possible to emulate super advanced spell effects like those found in Harry Potter mage duel battles ?

Here is a first step towards making such effects, using the advanced effects in PDM, like particles that run along custom dynamic splines (changable in run time, with script or physics or both), particles that spill from and define the spline and Particle to Particle collision. Line rendering is also readilly possible along the spline to enchance the effect is needed, using any line rendering system of your choice.

The next step is to procedurally move splines with turbulent motion and retarget the mid points based on end point. Doing it right now :), with a new script that will come in v1.8 (or email sooner upon request).

Particle Dynamic Magic brings Hollywood magic to Unity games (Free and Pro).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    3dFoin likes this.