Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 offer !✅] Particle Dynamic Magic URP -Advanced FX Framework (Decal, Particle, Spline, AI)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Apr 8, 2014.

1. glunity

glunity

Hello Nasos.

I had questions:

each particle is a object ? (has a hesh that I can assign ?)
    each particle is gravity compatible with "circular gravity force" ?

I can sign all particle as objects to use in flock algorith ?

Thanks !

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi

Most emitter scripts have a gameobject equivalent, and all are compatible with all forces in the pack, so will be compatible with circular gravity (when "planar" is checked on the attractor script).

So to use gameobjects with one of the systems, use the gameobject variety of the scripts. There are ready prefabs and samples for both cases for all scripts.

The "insect swarm" scene is a good example of gameobjects as particles (using the projection script, gameobject variety), these also support auto rotation towards the motion vector, so can easilly emulate insect (or bird) swarms with proper motion.

Systems and Emitters that support gameobjects:

Projection
    Mesh emission (skinned, animated and procedural)
    Splines
    All forces, turbulence etc are compatible with all gameobject emissions and work the same as with particle variety emissions

Emitters that dont support gameobjects

Image emission
    Particle painting and propagation system - (a gameobject painter is coming in v1.3)

Also all systems can emit meshes from Shuriken, this is a bit different than the gameobject scripts (that support complex behaviors, procedural effects and animation to the gameobject particles for example) and you will normally use the non gameobject scripts for that.

In v1.3 i have a new masked mesh emission script, that will also align the Shuriken mesh particles to the body normals, for extra utility.

Hope these help, please let me know if anything else is needed :)

P.S. As a general guideline, the gameobject scripts need to have one empty gameobject for the Pool (where instances of gameobjects for each particle are created) and a gameobject to be instantiated (this can be any scene item, even splines). These must both be inserted in the script public variables and the script should be applied to a Shuriken particle system. Use the "preview" mode option to see the gameobjects in the editor.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is also an image showing the flocking with the gameobject emission. The top two cells show the flock with the planar gravity effector and the bottom with the swarm effector.

Objects of course can be animated, i used this with the Duck asset from Protofactor and it is one of the most cool effects i have made so far :)

UPDATE: The music module is finished, now splines also dance in the rythm :)

The release for v1.3 is going to come at the end of the month with a price increase for the pack, so grab it while it is in the introductory price.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New video, showcasing the music and transition modules.

5. glunity

glunity

Thanks nasos.
    I ask about be compatible with this assert:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8181

I am comparing your module with particle Playground. Sorry to do this, but I am trying find my resources for do puzzle's assert in my system :)
    Your assert and playground are very fantastic.

A effect that I need is some as "amoeba particle system" in http://chemicalbliss.com/wordpress/portfolio-items/particle-system-collection/
    I think, I do similar with your assert, or not ?

And I need generate particles, earch particle assign to a mesh, and this mesh be compatible with the "https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8181" I work in my program.

Thanks for all info, and big work !

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is some pics to show the effect, i have recreated the amoeba one

First you emit from the mesh, then add a force and color to the particles

Also you can control the inner color and time they stay on the mesh vs flying around

The effect is exactly like the amoeba in motion, slow and dreamy :), i will add the scene in v1.3

You may also play more with color and timings for any kind of effect, keep in mind these are not just fixed effects, they are 100% dynamic and can take any form, plus can be transfered from one mesh to the next (coming in v1.3) in a smooth way

EDIT: Some more effects possible, with scaling, offseting of particles, procedural mesh etc

http://www.imgnow.net/uploads/714062452MORE_AMOEBA.jpg

You can definitly assing a particle system to any mesh, skinned, or animated or procedural etc and then the particle will follow it, so should be fine with affecting the mesh with any force. So should be compatible with the Circular Gravity Force asset.

You can also emit gameobjects from my particle systems and control them like particles, or let them loose and control as gameobjects (or combine outside forces and Shuriken or Turbulence forces etc). Plus these can be combined with particles for extra effects.

For example my grass projection is full 3D objects, and the red flowers in the ground are particles, all done with the same system that controls both particles and gameobjects.

Generally the systems are very flexible and supports a wide array of combinations and controls.

Also the amoeba effect is possible and there is an example in the pack to help you get the proper force to emulate this effect. I have emulated the effect and posted some pics above to see.

I could also help with anything you need if you have a problem setting the effects up.

If you need any further explanation, please let me know

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. glunity

glunity

Thanks Nasos for the info.

My question about the flocking, flocking with rules, as alignement, separation, cohesion, follow to etc. This is a algorith used in very codes.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/flock.199491/

This is very important for my project controll all in this way.

Best Regards.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

I dont have flocking rules, but the scripts can emulate local behavior easilly, for example you may have the birds flying in a circular plane with one planar gravity manipulator and then use a gravity node on the hero to attract them and make them swarm around him (or any other character etc)

most of the flocking rules you mention can be emulated by controlling some of my script parameters, for example change the planar gravity in the Attractor node to turbulence to emulate a bird scatter from the line, or other patterns of motion.

The best part about the system is that everything is dynamic, so you wont have fixed rules but rather fully interactive bird flocks if you wish, with countless options for motion and interaction.

The new transition manager can even allow effects like particle mesh birds falling into spline paths in a dynamic way (splines can move real time too if you want) and fall back to the projection and forces mode (these would be cool for distance systems where mesh particles could be used).

One of the next versions will also allow gameobject emission to conform/align to splines.

Generally i think the system would be perfect for what you need :), especially since it supports gameobject emission (not only mesh emission like Shuriken), so you can have actual animated birds follow all the forces and particle rules.

I could also help with any required setup or even write some helper scripts to control the AI of the flock, would be very interesting

And i have a ready flocking (or rather swarming) and circular flying example in the current version of the pack, so you could start using that immediately.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    glunity likes this.
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

The new version 1.3 has been submitted to the Asset Store and waiting review !!!!!

New features and changes summary for v1.3

NEW - Gameobject painter

- Paint gameobjects on any collider surface
    - Support for texture based brushes
    - Fully dynamic conformation to surfaces, painted objects may follow the surface as it moves or rotates (or keep the intially painted position)
    - Placement based on surface normals or custom angle
    - Gameobjects can have wind effects and be colored by brush texture (play mode)

NEW - Particle transition and behavior manager
    - Smoothly move particles between projection, skinned/procedural meshes and splines
    - Multiple targets support
    - Coloration modes from skin texture or custom coloring of particles, colors may transfer from skin texture to splines and any other combination
    - GUI to control the transitions and be used as base for any effect
    - Distance and tag based cut off management for gameobjects, to increase performance
    - Mode to smoothly increase particle size and spread on surfaces.

NEW - Masked mesh emission
    - For skinned, simple and procedural mesh particles
    - Particles may emit from certain body parts, using a texture mask, to allow better control of particle placement on meshes.
    - Follow surface normals mode allows mesh particles to align to the source mesh surface correctly.
    - Fully optimized to only emit particles from the non-masked areas.

NEW - Music module
    - A new way to manipulate particles through music, that uses all the Particle Dynamic Magic effects for unlimited effects.
    - Control particle scale, offset, coloration, size, turbulence and more with music
    - Example scene included

Webplayer Demo for Transition and Music modules (final version):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MUSIC_DEMO_PDMv2/PDM_MUSIC_Demo_v2.html

AMOEBA Demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/AMOEBA/PDM_AMOEBA_Demo.html

11. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Looks good. My suggestion for the music module would be to also have some examples of wave forms moving along splines. For example have an emitter that emits particles with a size based on the volume of the music and then make those particles flow along a spline so you can see the waveform. You could for example make those particles rectangle game objects where the height represents the volume. Is it possible to for example have particles only effected by the music at the point of creation so that you can see how the waveform generated by the music changes over time ?

nasos_333 likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice idea, i can definitly add this in my to do list for v1.4 (or 1.3.x). I will have to cache the effect to get the waveform, or maybe do some workarounds, like have a settle time for affected particles with the local gravity mode, which will emulate a waveform effect with the settle back motion.

Here is what i will be working on for the next version(s):

- Improved spline music visualizer with more effects on both the spline and particles. These will include the waveform effects.
    - Fillable splines, use the whole spline area to emit particles
    - Menu with effect presets and ready setups, parametric to tailor the effect based on choices
    - More Impact effects
    - More bird flock behavior samples and interactions
    - External turbulence nodes per particle, for extra turbulence controls (already done for DX11 turbulence)
    - DX11 effects (image emission and turbulence/gravity base already working)
    - Volumetric, fluid (DX11) and fractal effects
    - Add brush to particle painting (gameobject painting already implements this)
    - Local gravity retargeting (already done in transition manager, but will add the option to do it per script also)
    - Extend Local vector fields in Turbulence (this is partly in the system already, but could give even more control)
    - Gameobject transition manager extension (use gameobjects in transitions)
    - Improved fire propagation, with timer to make fire go out and buned items turn black etc
    I have many more ideas on this one, the goal is to emulate a true fire, with smoke, dust particles, wind and all for epic environments. These should be triggered as the fire progresses and not in a rigid pre-scripted way.
    - Chain lightning effect, with parent energizing targets up to a depth.
    - Improved particle painting, with texture and projection brushes, melt down timer, normal conformation for mesh particles etc
    - Movie Effects collection, this will be complex samples that will use the scripts in a way that will create complete experiences as they would be used in a game and will strive to get the feeling of a movie in complexity. For example, i am working on a proper ice thrower, that will let ice stick to objects dynamically, melt, maybe accumulate and do all short of other staff. Same goes for the fire propagation and chain lighting as described above.

These are not in order, and some will come in v1.3.x, some in v1.4 with DX11 and some more advanced, like fluid dynamics etc later.

What do you think about the Movie Effects idea and which of the above would you like to see first ?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. glunity

glunity

Hi nasos, I am now using your module :)

It is a lot of thinks into the assert !

demasiado !

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

oh nice :) and there is much more added in v1.3, i submitted it today and will be released next week i guess

Let me know if you can get the results you desire with the flocks

There is an "insect swarm" prefab and a scene with the same name you can start from (version 1.2 folder)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  15. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

great job

nasos_333 likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

After many querries about the fire propagation system, i decided to extend its functionality exponentially and have been working constantly on this.

The base work on the Advanced Flame thrower and Ice spread systems is now finished and i will create a first demo to showcase the new systems. I will have to add some extra particles like sparks etc too.

Fire & Ice will be the name of the new module and will probably be released as a separate pack too, but much later.

Also have made a new Chain Lighting module, that will properly propagate lighting in a "Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark" finale kind of way :)

Both are coming in v1.3.5, around mid July. These systems take the fire propagation and lighting to a whole new level and hopefully will find many uses in games that require very cool and highly dynamic effects.

Demos will release much sooner and will get a few updates as i work the systems to perfection.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

More ready samples of Shuriken events system to be included in v1.3.5

Ice system, with ice thrower (2 modes), ice propagation, ice sticking properly to any object with collider and dynamically moving with it and optional melting time (or stay forever option).

UPDATE:

The ice system is amost done, with mesh particles that will stick properly to the objects and move along as they should. The effect is fully dynamic so many throwers may come into play with the same pool, for example the hero may cast from each hand a different stream of ice.

There are two modes (particle and projection modes). Also a choice between gradual growth of ice and instant ice is supported.

Also working on some ready examples of basic Shuriken functionality, like particle spawn on particle death etc (pic 2)

And as with all effects in the pack, these systems use Shuriken particles, so they are 100% compatible with any existing particles and particle assets in the store.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  19. nasos_333

nasos_333

The v1.3 pack has already been submitted and waiting review, so should come this week. Particle Dynamic Magic will remain at the current low price for at least another week after v1.3 release.

The asset is a set of 6 different modules, that include particle dynamics and mesh emission, dynamic splines, turbulence, gameobject scattering and painting, music module and fire/ice propagation systems. The pack will also get a DX11 option for many of the effects, should someone need millions of particles in the effect.

The new price will be 70$ and the separate modules will also be available as separate packs later. Also there will be an Indie version that will not include the DX11 option (everything else will be included and code will be open as in the main pack).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Directed stream
    Ice Spread
    UPDATE:
    Some pics from the new Ice and Fire system, shows the ice spread feature in the final form. A demo is beeing made and will be available soon.

I am also thinking of adding particle to particle collision, this would not be hard, but would be expensive, though i would like to have it as option for faster machines

It will allow effects like the fire-ice duels when opponents cast flame and ice streams

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Brand new feature, emulation of the collision between two particle systems
    is now ready !!!

Will come in v1.4. The effect is fully controllable with many options for performance and timing

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi everyone,

A small question, i have been working on implementing the fire and ice systems in Angry Bots demo. The question is how you would like to have access to the implementation, since i would like to provide it as a ready sample.

Is it ok to only include the changed scene and scripts as a zip or package file (or in a specific folder) and state it requires the Angry Bots pack (free on asset store) ? Or should i include the whole Anrgy Bots pack (150+ MB extra) ?

I think the first solution is the best, because it would not make the pack too heavy to download and would not risk overwriting existing Angry Bots assets. What do you suggest ?

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Spline particle emission with local attractor effect
    Painting with turbulence

Local turbulence manipulation and dynamic vortex creation, 8K particle test (fps shown is running on my old (2010) laptop). Multithreading is on.

UPDATE:

- Work on the new propagation and painting systems is almost finished, and has been implemented in Angry Bots too, besides the showcase demo.

- The particle-per-particle collision engine is getting a demo, which is almost finished.

- More effects have been added to the turbulence demo and will be available soon as well (pics above)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

27. glunity

glunity

Hi nassos,
    I had buyed a nvidia 770 to run particle in directx11.

How can I run your particle in card ?
    Thanks.

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

The DX11 option will come in v1.5 of the pack, it is not available yet. The roadmap is to first finish on all systems planned for the pack and then implement DX11 gradually, starting with the most demanding effects, like the turbulence.

The DX11 turbulence and image emission base are both ready, so i could speed up those two for release, but will come after v1.4 that will have the fire, ice and lightning propagation systems based on collisions and the particle-particle collision system.

I am not sure yet if i will make separate scripts or implement the systems in the existing ones and have a switch, probably will come separate.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi everyone,

It just came to my attention that the demos linked in the asset store may not work in Mac in the Chrome browser. If this is the case, please try Safari and Firefox, otherwise please let me know so i can find another solution. I will also prepare Google drive links for all demos and post them here.

Also you can try the link with "http" instead of "https" in the beggining, i read it may fix the problem in some cases.

Thanks

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Pics from the new Flocking sample scene, that will allow real time manipulation of bird flocks.

The red manipulators and force nodes are active, white ones are disabled. The flock will follow the attractor, will swirl around the "swirl" node, used for attacks, circle around the "circle" node and there is turbulence in motion so the circling is varied locally.

These attractors and forces can be parented to any item on the scene, for example it is possible to have a passing by character with an attractor node that will make birds attack in real time and flock back if he leaves the area (probably stop following when he runs fast). Or the birds could follow circling around until some event etc

The bird models are from an asset in the store and will not be included the pack, though the setup is as simple as parenting any animated bird in the instantiation node and reseting the rotation/position within.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Changes for v1.3.5 implemented so far:

This version will offer some extensions and updates to the current scripts and two new demo scenes with multiple examples (Turbulence demo and Flocking demo).

Changes in Transitions module

- Added user_timer option, to individually select the time between each target transition for better scheduling.
    - Added time_to_next list, where the individual times are declared.

Changes in Masked Emission

- Added a check if pixels != null, in case the item has no texture.
    - Masked mesh emission now scales properly with object first and then with the offset variable.

Adding new "Flocking" demo, with repel / attract / swarming / circling (so far, will add many more) for real time flock behavior simulation and manipulation.

Added "DisableAttractorPDM" script, for enabling/disabling the various interaction/manipulation nodes with the mouse.

New Turbulence demo scene will be included in the pack, with even more samples than the online webplayer version
    (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/TURBULENCE/PDM_TURBULENCE_Demo.html)

Also will be adding a whale flock webplayer, with the free asset below
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3547

I will update with more news on v1.4 soon, i have extended the propagation systems even further and will provide details when i have finilized the feature set.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New letters demo added for v1.4, showing the ice/fire propagation systems and Mesh emission effects with growth.

Propagation now also supports gameobjects !!!, so it is possible to spread animated butterflies over any surface and they will follow it or fly away, based on the setup.

The Ice in "Particle" is done with mesh particles

The butterflies in "Dynamic" are full 3D animated gameobjects as particles

The fire in "Magic" is spreading billboards and has turbulence affecting it

These are the modes (as far as what is emitted goes) in the new propagation system.

All particle effects can apply to the emitted particles or gameobjects, based on the setup. Butterflies can be spread and the made to fly away with attractors and turbulence.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Spray progression, starting with empty surfaces. Sprayed particles and gameobjects will follow the object they are sprayed on and its surface normal, with many options to dictate when the particles may leave the surface if needed (to emulate fire, butterflies flying around etc)

Butterfly gameobjects (animated) on the surface after spray

Fly away following near forces (attractor - pink ball - and trubulence here) mode

Weighted return (smooth return towards original point, fully controllable). Notice that the weighting factor here is such that butterflies will hover over their original points and still be affected by forces and turbulence.

UPDATE:

Grass spray with proper settings has been added to the demo.

Note that all the spray effects are driven by only one script, which handles billboard and mesh particles, gameobjects as particles and all the modes of sticking (strict follow, follow and turn towards motion verctor, follow and add perlin wind, mesh turn to match surface normal, loose mode that enable particles to leave the emission spot, relaxed mode that make particle emit from the emission point and still follow the object and many more options).

One pool is used for each particle type (ice/fire/grass/butterflies here) and all sprayed/painted positions use the same pool.

Particles and gameobjects may leave the objects they are sprayed on and follow near forces like planar gravity, turbulence etc.

Everything is controllable in the effect. Items can also be pre-painted before the game starts and may stay alive forever (for grass, butterflies etc) or melt (ice) and go out (fire) and more.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  34. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Looks nice. Are those animated butterflys batched so that they can be draw in one draw call ? I've noticed with your current painting demo with the trees that you can paint onto those spheres that they don't always batch draw calls ? When you first open the demo where you can place individual trees they are batched together so are suitable for use on mobile. If you press the paint button where you can then paint multiple trees at the same time they are no longer batched. Is there a reason for this ? As a result the painting isn't really suitable for use on mobile at the moment because it is a producing one draw call for each game object painted.

Also with regards to adding compute shader particles. Firstly it looks like unity will be adding compute shader support for mobile and other consoles in unity 5. It looks like they will handle the conversion of the compute shaders to the correct format automatically. As a result I would suggest that you try to accelerate some of the particle with directx 11 and have an option to enable or disable it based on whether the platform supports it. That way as more compute platforms are added they will be accelerated. I wouldn't suggest making a completely different particle system for directx 11 simply work out which functions you can accelerate and then use the compute function instead of the cpu function if it is available on that particular platform.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

There are many modes for the painting, generally if you paint with the mask colors, a new material for each color is created, thus these will not be batched. This option is selectable, so you can choose the same material and keep the batching.

The grass example batches properly, since the same material is used for each grass blade. Also in the paint example i have two materials for the trees and still batch and dont have increased draw calls when i dont use extra materials for each of the instances, so you can have multiple materials i guess, just not for each individual clone (like the brush coloring does).

The animated meshes wont batch for some reason, i will try to figure out if i can enable the dynamic batching for skinned. If skinned meshes dont auto batch, there are some solutions to batch those, Mesh Baker for example.

Also i have found a relevant script for global batching with skinned mesh (http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=CombineChildrenBones), but i am not sure it would benefit performance, since it states

" Cutting down to a single draw call does not necessarily give you a performance increase. In fact, in my own case, this script didn't help at all! Constantly transforming bone vertices is cpu-intensive, and on the iPhone I had a significant frame rate drop using this script as opposed to just having 10 draw calls of my individual objects."

I will give it a try and see how it affects performance.

EDIT: Unfortunatlety this script does not support multiple materials or skinned meshes, so i will try to make on that does based on this, but that will not come in v1.4 since it is like making a new package with advanced mesh baking functionality and is not trivial (this is what Mesh Baker does for example)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

All the demos for Particle Dynamic Magic so far, in Google Drive hosting, in case the Dropbox links are not working on some platform/browser combinations.

Main showcase demo:

https://googledrive.com/host/0B-QCdE1dswQBMmw5UjFtRWJscDg/PDMv12WebDemoFINAL.html

Amoeba demo:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-QCdE1dswQBUDRMOENVRkpXSjQ/PDM_AMOEBA_Demo.html

MUSICles demo:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-QCdE1dswQBeERlT0xoN0ZfSzA/PDM_MUSIC_Demo_v2.html

Turbulence demo (will be included in v1.3.5 of the pack):
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B-QCdE1dswQBWkxwQm5BTmtqY1E/PDM_TURBULENCE_Demo.html

Three more demos are also coming soon

1. Propagation fire/ice demo, with mage duel particle-particle scene and the above letters demos included. (will be included in v1.4)

2. Birds and fish flocks demo (will be included in v1.3.5)

3. Angry Bots early demo with propagation implemented (will be included in v1.4)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

All effects active, grass, ice and butteflies are gameobjects (animated too for the butterflies)

Removing the 3 pools (grass, ice and butteflies), which take only 4 draw calls for all items

UPDATE:
    I have implemented a mobile friendly version of the propagation effects, using animated gameobjects (not skinned) that will batch and reduce draw calls to 1-2 per particle pool system (1 if only one material is used, 2 if we need more variety in material/shader).

In the above pics, the whole grass, ice and butterflies (animated gameobjects, that can also have colliders and receive particles like propagted ice !!) take only 4 draw calls.

In the coming demo, the butterflies will be fully controllable, with local forces, return to position and fly away options and many more effects.

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  39. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi the new batching sounds great. Also that mage demo looks good. It might be an idea to have the particles fade out rather than just disappear when the reach end of life though. Also I noticed that is some cases it looks like the particles of one colour are colliding with themselves and dropping rather than colliding with the other colour. It might be an idea to add an option to make it so that the particles can only collide with another type of particle rather than themselves as well. Would those particle collisions also work on splines ? Could I for example send two different coloured particles down either end of a spline and make them collide ?

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i can also include all the assets now in the pack, since the butterflies are made by me.

Here is a demo with splines, working on it right now.

I am not sure which version is the mage duel demo, the new version can avoid self collision :), the splines demo have no self collisions until the particles meet

Spline particle to particle collision demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MAGE_DUEL_SPLINES/PDM_MAGEDUEL_SPLINES.html

What do you think of this new one ? I will also add the fade out and post two updated demos later today

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  41. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

The new demo looks good. Only thing I would suggest is that at you make the head of each spline look more like a fireball rather than a solid object. Also I think the collision is a bit too bright. I don't think you want it going white during the collision. Perhaps you could even add turbulence to it ?

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), the balls do feel strange, since they also dont collide, i may remove them altogether and add something better. I will work on the details and post two new demos later. Turbulence along the spline sounds great, will definitly try that too.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Some info on the implementation of the new propagtion/collision syestems on Angry Bots, the ice/fire and lighting systems are already in (pic above) and i am expanding the system with the new particle-particle collision effects.

The particle beams will also apply a force to the objects.

I am not yet sure how i will deliver this demo in the pack, so i am open to suggestions :).

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New video, showing the Spray and propagation systems in Particle Dynamic Magic v1.4, with animated gameobject support for all effects. Spray effects are shown in the video (plus fire and ice mesh emission from v1.3 effects).

Positions can be sprayed and propagated (near objects may catch fire dynamically). Particles and gameobjects may conform to the surface (and its normals) completly, or emit from the positions and then use all particle forces, turbulence etc effects and gravitate back to the initial position with only one variable change. In the video the butterflies are let loose from the surface and fly away with turbulence.

Particles and gameobjects may refresh or be kept alive forever, to cover all possible effects.

EDIT:
    I post also a link to the source video, since youtube made quality far worse :)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/VIDEOS/SPRAY/SPRAY_systems_Butterflies_FLY_AWAY.rar

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Some new pics of more letter effects and the new ice accumulation system, which hopefully will make it in v1.4.

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi everyone,

I have come up with a good idea on how to deliver the Angry Bots demo with the Particle Dynamic Magic (PDM) systems implemented.

The plan is to release it as a free standalone asset in the store (if Unity allows the inclusion of the pack) and will require Particle Dynamic Magic asset to run. This way everyone that has the PDM asset can have the demo with the implementation of the effects in an actual mini game, without adding the whole Angry Bots pack to the main PDM asset and making it heavier in disk space requirements.

What do you think about this way of delivering the demo ? Also this way i could keep updating Angry Bots with more effects all the time and offer new versions in a streamlined way.

The other solution would be to include a unity package with the right scripts and this would be imported to the Angry Bots demo. This is easier to do, but it might be more confusing to use and would make it harder to introduce new versions and keep track of changes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Introducing Particle Dynamic Magic v1.4

The features for the new v1.4 have been finalized and are summarized below and in the picture above.

Now all effects support gameobjects (animated, complex and with any script attached to control behavior). Gameobjects can be propagated, painted, emitted from any source and affected by all forces and turbulence.

Enjoy the total control of your particles, with all possible emission types (mesh, billboard and gameobject) and move away from the limitations of the sprites and meshes of Shuriken. Particles and gameobjects can also be combined for extra effects.

Features for v1.4
    • New Propagation system, with all options one could ask from a complete pack, make your game feel alive and dynamic with particles and gameobjects propagated, painted and sprayed with collisions in any surface. Fire will spread and ice will stick to objects, control melt time and propagation properties. Spray particles and gameobjects from one main particle pool, using collisions from any other particle system. Combine gameobjects and particles (still using only one pool). Cycle gameobjects painted with the included scripts, giving any amount of variety to the sprayed items.
    • Advanced behaviors integrated in the propagation module, so particles can leave or return to their positions in many and fully controllable ways. Spray fully animated 3D butterflies on a surface and have them fly away on demand with any available force, vary their motion with turbulence and make their flight correct with the option to align and face the direction of motion. Then have them return smoothly to their positions. Endless posibilites are now at your fingertips.
    • New advanced collisions module, allows for particle to particle collision for effects like mage duels.
    • New chain lighting propagation, with a parent source spreading lightning until a certain depth to near objects.
    • Gameobject support for all emission modes and for the new propagation/collision module
    • Demos and many ready scenes for all the new effects included.
    • Integration in Angry Birds mini game (free in Unity Asset Store), enjoy the effects in an actual in game implementation, with all control scripts and setups ready, to speed your development even further.
    Many new webplayer demos will soon be available to showcase the new fire, ice, lightining, spray, gameobject emission, particle - particle collision etc effects.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

New webplayer demo

Phoenix (v1.0)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/PHOENIX/PHOENIX.html

Play with the "flame performance factor" bar in the swirl objects example in slower machines, to get more performance. Use the flamer red ball to set objects on fire as they move around. Spline nodes can be moved to change spline shape.

The pack will be at the current low price until v1.4 release, so make sure to get it early. The price after v1.4 will be 70$. I also plan to have discounts once a month or every two months after the increase, so dont worry if you dont get it early :)

The pack offers all the cool particle features like Turbulence, forces, live manipulation and control, mesh emission (skinned / procedural), image emission etc, plus gameobject emission for all modes, propagation of particles and gameobjects, splines with editor and DX11 option for the heavy effects is also planned as a huge bonus. All with open code.

I also plan to release a Particle Dynamic Magic Lite version, that will not have DX11 or the new Propagation effects, that will take the pack to the next level.

Even the Lite though will still offer Spline particles with spline editor, Turbulence with dynamic local vortex control, Gameobject emission from all sources and painting and mostly every cool feature so far.

Another thing is that i could release the new Propagator as a separate pack, in a way that Particle Dynamic Magic Lite + Propagator - DX11 = Particle Dynamic Magic main pack.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333