Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 offer !✅]Infinigrass-GPU Optimized Interactive Grass-Trees-Meshes,work on mobile,HDRP-URP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Sep 1, 2015.

1. magique

magique

What are the requirements for 2.0? Could it run on the Wii U by any chance?

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system is SM3.0 (current one is also SM3.0) so it should be compatible with most hardware and newer mobiles, i also have a SM2.0 variant of the shader for even more compatibility when needed. I do not have WiiU to test on though, so i can send a test version for this purpose.

The new system will handle infinite worlds with minimal ram usage (e.g. the world in the latest pics with 3 grass types and a tree type is using around 400MB ram at all times no matter how far you go, in the new full pooling mode) so from this side should be covered well.

And works smoothly even on my very old PC (2010 CPU, xbox one level GPU) so should be good for consoles (weaker than xbox one though may require less grass density in the streaming mode)

docsavage likes this.
  3. ftejada

ftejada

hi nasos

When it is expected that this new version of infiniGrass 2.0???

regards

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I target early of next month, i have added many features and did all performance enchancements i had planned (including some that were meant for v2.x cycle and not v2.0 initial release) so will take a bit to finilize the user experience and front end GUI for all these options.

I though it would not do the system justice to release with less than the possible features in performance and new memory reduced modes, thus i went all out and did everything (full pooling, memory reduction to minimal, maximize batching for performance, fast streaming etc) and now i focus on a demo that will showcase the new procedural nature of the system (which is almost done, as all core features are now finalized) and then on the GUI and the release.

ftejada, docsavage and Acissathar like this.
  5. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hey,

I have a question concerning large open world games.

We are currently developing a world with hundreds of terrain chunks and we are currently streaming those terrains. There is an issue with grass & details though. As soon a terrain details are rendered for a chunk, the game freezes for about half a second.

Therefore we are thinking to buy Infinigrass. But I would like to know if this is going to help us. Because we need a solution that is faster than the terrain grass.

Also, I would like to know if there is a way to import already placed grass into Infinigrass.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Sebastian,

InfiniGRASS v1.x cycle is mostly about optimizing the grass for next gen graphics with shadows etc and max batching.

v2.0 that is in the works extends that with handling of infinite worlds, auto procedural planting, pooling and memory consumption handling for minimizing ram and maximizing streaming performance.

Here is a very first demo of the system, note that this is for very early preview and has multiple performance boosts to be finalized, plus on some systems the grass gets a strange very large scale (it does not happen on my PC but i had reports on other PCs and looking into it)

InfiniGRASS v2.0 early WIP demo (real time planting, batching, pooling, infinite world, memory handling): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...FINIGRASS/v2.0/STREAMING Test1 WEBPLAYER.html

The demo showcases an infinite procedural world, with grass planting, batching and pooling, plus my full Sky Master system and land generation on the fly, to showcase a very stress case that everything is procedural and on the fly created.

v2.0 is planned to release next month (first as beta)

Let me know for more details-questions

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    docsavage likes this.
  7. magique

magique

Is it possible to take an existing scene that has terrain and already painted Unity grass and simply convert it to Infinigrass? Or does everything have to be re-painted from scratch?

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

In the current version grass is painted with mouse or there is a Mass Place function that places grass and grows it in editor, based on splat map, height and slope controls (so you can plant a lot at once, but not whole big maps because of editor overhead,and needs multiple applications or managers to be used for best result)

In v2.0 i have a full conversion system from Unity grass - tree types to InfiniGRASS library types (and with multiple applications, plus splat map, height and slope controls for extra variance over the Unity placement, so for grass type 0 in Unity you can plant any number of grass types from InfiniGRASS with various rules).

The grass can also be mass planted on a infinite scale (spanning multiple terrains and split automatically to managers for higher level LOD and management of these managers with a global manager). In this case i do not grow the grass in the editor so can be planted at any amount (you can of course grow each manager if needed, refine the grass and close it back as in v1.x)

Finally v2.0 has a procedural planting that can happen in real time using rules, so wont require any previous planting from the user and only set of rules where grass should be planted.

docsavage likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A second demo of the InfiniGRASS v2.0 system, that addressed some of the issues i discovered from the feedback from the first demo above.

InfiniGRASS v2.0.7 early WIP demo (real time rule based planting, batching, pooling, infinite world memory handling - Windows Demo): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-QCdE1dswQBNTJCakY5S0cwalk/view?usp=sharing

This is an early preview and has multiple performance boosts to be finalized (e.g. planting is now happening all around the player, the planting code is using multiple passes which can be condensed to one etc) and multiple grass placement - batching - density - sizing variance etc refinements to be done.

Feedback on the new demo is appreciated and will help a lot in the further development and refinement of the procedural system.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  10. docsavage

docsavage

Coming on great nasos. Skymaster is due to go to full price soon as well then?

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am doing the promo pics now for the store submission of sky master and i will submit it this week, so will go back to normal price sometime next week.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 is also available in Google Drive for immediate download, before it hits the store.

12. docsavage

docsavage

Hi nasos. It's looking great. Can't wait to see what you've got planned for infiTree as well after all this. A really comprehensive suite of tools:) Is it the latest version. Could you please pm me the link? I'm using SM water in my game and would like to test the latest version before bringing it into my game.

Thanks

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

v3.4 is the latest Sky Master ULTIMATE version and i have sent a PM with link to the Google Drive download

The water has a new adjustable fogging feature that will make it vanish in the background at a chosen color, so the water planes do not have a hard edge. It also helps in underwater and in cases where Unity fog should not be used or is too much for other items in order to cover the water up to the needed point.

The two fogs can be used together as well.

docsavage likes this.
  14. magique

magique

Sounds good. It looks like v2.0 is closer to what I would need.

nasos_333 likes this.
  15. FalconCGN

FalconCGN

Hey Nasos,
    I will have a look at the Infinigrass 2.0 Demo and will get back to you.
    Thank you.

nasos_333 likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks. I am now adapting more grass types to the demo as well (some pics above)

17. docsavage

docsavage

All looks great to me

nasos_333 likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :), i am now working on the finalizing the system spread algorithms to take best advantage of the new core features (pooling etc) and testing with various grass types to make sure it will all work proper and then will move full force to finilizing the GUI and usuability features and adapt some of the fully procedural new things i created to the editor side as well (e.g. the new auto-placement features)

19. Knightmore

Knightmore

Those screenshots are nearly how I would like to try it in my scene. Maybe a bit less grass and some speedtrees in it. I wonder how it would perform.

nasos_333 likes this.
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

The grass density is too much indeed, most of that is not needed to give the same apparent density, this is one of the things i am regulating currently and applying options to control per brush.

I will also try some speedtree samples in the demo and see how it goes.

Knightmore likes this.
  21. Acissathar

Acissathar

Looking forward to the update, you do very good work nasos!

nasos_333 likes this.
  22. ftejada

ftejada

hi Nasos

I tried the demo ...

Maybe I'm very clumsy but I can not give a very deep opinion for what I've seen in the demo. I think with the demo can not be tested many aspects that were not right in the 1.xx versions (such as mass planting a big terrain, without using the manual brush, etc etc).

From what little I can see on the demo (regardless of performance falls already said happened in this demo) would be two simple things.

1) The appearance of gras seems less defined (as with less resolution). Although you may be wrong.

2) From the little that can be displayed on the demo, I have not seen that Ram is overloaded. That's very good, but will have to try better and to value better in different situations.

You have a test version 2.0 for asset test it deeper into Unity? If so could you send it by PM?

greetings Nasos

nasos_333 likes this.
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The demo indeed is to showcase the lower ram consumption and endless world, plus pooling and batch instantiation features. The system in real time uses some of the features that will also be available in pre-painted grass as well when pooling is used and showcases the grass placement in an automatic way that will also extend to usage in the editor (e.g. the system can now autoplant any number of terrains based on rules, in both editor and real time)

I will make sure to post videos as well of the editor side in action when it is ready

A test version of the system will be available later as Beta, this is not yet ready though as i am still refining and tweaking the core side of the system.

ftejada likes this.
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v2.0 any type of ground automated adaptation mode (real time included)
    (Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 on sky-clouds-lighting-volumetric effects)

UPDATE:

WIP of v2.0, a new breakthrough feature has been added (shader based grass terrain adaptation) that will further help reduce draw calls and improve streaming performance, plus increase the usuage of pooling.

This new feature will allow the use of any size of batched group on any kind of underlying terrain and also will offer real time adaptation to terrain changes and even any object on scene if required (thus grass can adapt on rocks or any other surface as well automatically)

I am now working on extending the feature to trees as well (it is possible with minor changes to the batching and will also be in the next demo)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  26. docsavage

docsavage

@nasos_333 ,

Really like those first two images especially nasos. All looking great.

nasos_333 likes this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have now also fully polished this new system and includes trees and is perfectly smooth and fast taking the minimal processing and upading only when nessesary, so it is now ready to produce the next demo that will include this level of ground conformation, grass thickness on irregular ground and dynamic effects.

Hope to have a first version very soon.

Here is a video showcasing real time the area in the pics above, with dynamic grass handling. The video is software recorded on my 2010 PC (core 2 duo CPU, xbox one level GPU).

Acissathar likes this.
  28. docsavage

docsavage

That's flying nasos!!!!!. Is that on the cpu or gpu??

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

It is all done in GPU with a customized system to place the grass. The major perk with this approach is that you can batch grass on any initial ground and move the batched model anywhere else on the map, with perfect ground adaptation and even on other scene objects (optionally).

This opens the way for ultimate batching, streaming performance and optimization at all cases and is also ideal for use along side the new pooling system i have devised for v2.0. I am now adapting this in the procedural demo and will post it soon.

The system has also been further optimized versus the video above in various ways, the video was taken after finilizing the system base and before any further optimization on the method that has now gone in the latest version.

ftejada and docsavage like this.
  30. docsavage

docsavage

@nasos_333, The sky and lighting are looking really nice as well.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am using the latest Sky Master ULTIMATE system (v3.4) for the dynamic clouds and volume lighting, i just uploaded it to the Unity store as well so will be up this week or early the next.

docsavage and Knightmore like this.
  32. Fatalis

Fatalis

Has the feature to convert tree objects to InfiniGrass objects been completed? If so would it be possible to get a beta build?

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The feature does work, but the GUI is not 100% ready yet (mainly the terrain assignment portion), though i can guide to a few steps with images to use it, i attach the guide for reference and i can send the upgraded scripts and new Global Manager to try it (i tested today to make sure my latest changes did not affect it and seems to work ok, so could be used)

Note that the system is not yet in Beta phase, so it is advised to use with caution (though for the specific functionality it should be ok is my guess)

Let me know and i will prepare and send the scripts in PM.

34. Fatalis

Fatalis

I would appreciate being able to try this feature! PM me whenever you have this prepared.

nasos_333 likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have sent a PM with the link.

I have also added a terrains list exposed to the GUI now, so wont require to use the Debug mode to enter the terrains, plus added Pooling option turned off by default, since the GUI and controls for the pooling are still in development.

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v2.0 - automated grass placement for the new streaming and pooling systems.

The video was taken before final optimizations in grass density spread and is a super stress test with extreme grass density, plus software recorded in my rather old 2010 PC.

ftejada likes this.
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Election special !!!!

Buy InfiniGRASS on Monday or Tuesday and get Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 free (upon PM of invoice).

One lucky winner will also get a voucher for Sky Master ULTIMATE (the other entries will also be updated to later versions on demand through PM). The winner will be announced on Wednesday.

Also if already have Sky Master ULTIMATE, can choose one asset from any other in ARTnGame collection.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 demos:

38. Acissathar

Acissathar

So can I refund my copy so I can repurchase it today? :p Looking forward to v2.0 though!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  39. Knightmore

Knightmore

If it would be that easy :D I bought SkyMaster and still would like to have InfiniGrass, but I am still waiting to see v2 first at all before I decide. So many new features I have to see first in a whole live demo.

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

:), When was it bought ?

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am working full time on the demo, the latest additions (automated ground adaptation) were groundbreaking for the system, as now the batched grass can be any shape, size and also pooled, which will take the system to a whole new level. The demo will showcase the most stress case of a completly procedural world filled with grass-foliage and trees to the max.

I have also just finished the system that will do shader based erase - shaping - permanent modification of grass using a texture to encode the data for persistency. This texture is terrain agnostic, so there is complete freedom of terrain sizing below the grass, since the textures are managed independently.

42. Acissathar

Acissathar

It was a few months back at the end of August haha.

On a semi but not really related note, have you been able to test out Speedtree grass with the instancing updates on the beta releases with v2.0? I'm curious if the performance gain from their meshes and Infinigrass work together or not.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have not spent much time in the GPU instancing, since my initial tests were very unstable (in general also, not just on the grass) and also it requires DX11, so i will leave it when it is more mature and as extra option for later in v2.x cycle.

Currently v2.0 can do any size of batched item, so essentially you can have all ground covered very far with grass with very few draw calls.

I post some pics with metrics, showing what the final system is capable of (DX11 GPU instancing can be used on top of that as well, when will be applied to the shaders)

ftejada and Acissathar like this.
  44. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

From Grass? Is this a new thing? Right now I'm not using multi tiles, but I plan to.

Only problem I had on previous versions was "enabling a terrain tile" would enable all of its enabled child colliders in a single frame. Trees, everything.
    That would freeze it for half a second.

I got around this by Writing a coroutine where I split the looping and enabling of these colliders over many frames.

45. Acissathar

Acissathar

I didn't think it'd be anything crazy, and thinking about it again going from (using your example shots) 300 to say 310 fps is an increase, but likely a negligible one at that point so I'm sure Infinigrass will handle everything regardless of what they're doing.

Definitely looking forward to this release, sweet stuff as usual nasos.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

In theory with the new system can have batches as big as the 64K limit (and copy-pool them to exponentially reduce batching need and allocations of GC and ram), so draw calls would be at minimum without DX11 involved, then the GPU instancing could be used on top (if applicable in this extreme case of already super batched items) to even further reduce draw calls, which would already indeed be very low.

Another major aspect of the new method is that can adapt grass on any number of chosen items (or terrain modifications), besides the terrain (sample in pic above), this allows easy adaptation to rock ledges etc and can also be adapted in real time for various gameplay scenarios.

Acissathar and ftejada like this.
  47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Real time grass eraser tool, shader based to shape grass as needed at a shader level. This is used over the batch level erasing, to further refine grass as required with more detail.

The eraser is also used to shape grass, e.g. bend it and change height and other functionalities.

The tool will also be used in the editor time to refine the grass.

ftejada and Crossway like this.
  48. ftejada

ftejada

nasos, you know release date for version 2.0 of infiniGrass and how much money the update??

recon0303 likes this.
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

The Beta version is planned for early December and release later in the month, though the new features are so many that makes the dates a rough estimate and depend on lots of factors.

The development is going very well though, the core is ready and 100% stable and working great
    and the pooling and painting aspects are now working in the editor as well, so i hope to have it at the target date margin.

The price is TBD, depends a lot on reviews of the system until release and sales etc.

The maximum that the update will be though is $5-15 initially (for 1-2 months), the final pack price will be around $90 (so a max of $30 upgrade if the upgrade is done ouside the initial discount period) and will probably have a new pack name as well, to better showcase the new possibilities of the system (like vast procedural worlds with super detailed foliage, new real time grass interaction and shaping methods, new ground adaptation on any ground formation and ground objects, memory handling and pooling for fast streaming etc).

ftejada likes this.
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Grass shaping (v2.0 WIP)

This system can be used for grass shaping (height, bending etc) and for permanent grass modification in real time by players, and can support multiple players moving through the grass at the same time and modifying it, based on speed and other properties.

ftejada, docsavage and Acissathar like this.