Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

# of object limitations?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yellowlabrador, Feb 20, 2006.

1. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Helo All,

Is there a # of objects limitation in Unity?.

I'm about to complete my platform and I have 860 objects so far, when I tested it in unity my FP Walker is stuttering, jerking movements like frame by frame and mouse movements is not smooth. Played with the mouse sensitivity but still same issue.

Appreciate any suggestions / solutions.

Thanks,
    Ray

2. tsphillips

tsphillips

How did you count the objects? Is there a feature to report # of objects, # of polygons, etc.?

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

There is no hard limit to the amount of objects you can have in a scene.

Are you talking about meshes?
    The more meshes you have visible in your scene the slower it will run. A good idea is to combine meshes in your 3D art package.
    See this thread for how to optimize your meshes for faster rendering:
    http://forum.otee.dk//viewtopic.php?t=1363&highlight=combine

How many of your objects are on screen at the same time?

Have you attached scripts or animations to all your objects?
    If you are using lots of scripts on your objects, you should make sure that objects that are not visible will not be updated.

http://www.otee.dk/Documentation/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.html#OnBecameInvisible

4. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

When I was building the objects in cheetah3d I was counting it because I will be using some as a node for pathfinding.

Ray

5. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Good to know that there is no hard limit on # of objects.

The whole platform is one big mesh(mess) comprise of cubes and spheres with colliders on it.

All objects will be on one screen at the time the game starts.

No animation or scripts yet. but any animations or activities will be triggered by the player when the player enters a zone and will deactivate when out of the zone.

The platform is a big maze with walls(Cubes) and floors (cubes) that will act as a trigger and also as nodes for pathfinding.

I just tried building the game as a OSX stand alone and it's not jerking too much, will adjust speed and see if it will be better. It's only jerking when I'm on scene view and testing on game view.

Thanks,
    Ray