Search Unity

OEM software

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by AlbertoT, Apr 25, 2010.

1. AlbertoT

AlbertoT

Hello

You can find on the WEB many sites offering OEM software at a cheap price
    Some of them claim to be authorized dealers
    Actually they have in stock only old versions

is it legal to use / buy these programms ?

2. Bael

Bael

A good rule is, if you can't find it on a major retail site like Amazon at a similar price - it's pirated. Even old versions. If you find anything from Adobe or Autodesk at a price that's too good to be true - it's because it is. You're better off just biting the bullet and buying it from a known retailer.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

OEM must not needfully be pirated.
    I bought a PS6 OEM back when PS7 / PS8 were the current ones.

Its normal for manufacturers to clean out their OEM stock when they are too far behind the current standard OEMs (happens regularily with all Nero Express which is their form of OEM).

Depending on where you life on the globe there is though a high chance of piracy.
    For the german speaking countries its less one as its legal to sell OEM without hardware here. In switzerland the devs are actually required to sell the OEMs to non hardware manufacturers, thats why Windows upgrades got so much more affordable as anyone but noobs can get the OEM one (unlike the retail one the OEM windows though are 32bit or 64bit only not both)

4. Tysoe

Tysoe

I had some luck buying windows 7 pro and it wasn't even OEM. They had 3x win7 Ultimate Retail for $220 or $100 each sold separately. Direct download from microsofts site and the vendor supplies the key.

I was a bit skeptical, they took paypal but since they were local I stopped by their business to check them out. Was all legit and I ended up getting a good deal on both windows and office pro.

Usually if it's too good to be true it is though. Like you won't get a killer 3D app at a shockingly low price unless its a educational version or your purchasing a LOT of copies.