Search Unity

Oddness with 2018.2 Texture MipMap Streaming

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by JohnTomorrow, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Has anyone had any luck with this new feature? I am seeing some strangeness dealing with multiple instances of the same object in the environment. I am generating a bunch of different trees, bushes, rocks, and I am seeing that only one of these objects is controlling the mipmap streaming for all. This causes the incorrect mipmap to be used. It occurs in both player and editor. Some of these objects are simple mesh renderers with a single mesh and material while others have multiple submeshes and materials.

I created a quick video illustrating what I am seeing with the supplied debug tools here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdvyl7g7uguqbd2/mipmapstreamingbug.mp4?dl=0

In the video you will see a walk up to a coconutpalm stump and it refreshes mipmaps correctly. I then fly over to another instance of a coconut palm stump and it does not refresh. The mipmap is still set from the only one in the world that seems to control them all.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

It seems the engine is using the last set mipmap of all objects rather than the highest requested priority. I can emulate this same behavior with the C# scripts, which makes some sense as the C# scripts are not tracking mipmap priorities.

This seems like a bug to me. Shouldn't the engine code be loading the highest requested mipmap for all objects? Can I get some clarity if I am using this system wrong?

3. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, that does sound wrong. Please could you submit a bug on this issue with a reproduction case. Then we can investigate fully. If you reply here with the case number that would be a great help so I can check up on it.

4. JohnTomorrow

JohnTomorrow

Case 1079053. The project is very large so I could not upload it. I can look into trying to recreate the bug in a new project or look into another way to share it.

5. lyndon_unity

lyndon_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks, I see the issue now. A reproduction case would be great as it always speeds up investigations.