Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Odd mobile performance 2018.3 Beta (bug 1106010)

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by webjeff, Dec 2, 2018.

1. webjeff

webjeff

Hi,

I'm trying to track down some issues with 2018.3.b12. I have a project that has an empty scene with just a camera and on a mobile tablet (Nexus 7 2nd gen). It runs at about 34FPS. I did some analyzing of what's going on and there's nothing in the profiler except "Gfx.WaitForPresent" is taking about 23 ms. VSync is off. No skybox, solid color and one camera, so just a blue screen.

I went into the Intel gpu proifler tools and it seems as though this is generating at least 4 RT's to render the scene, which is not great since I turned off shadows, etc.

My first question, is there a reason why Unity is generating 4 RT's? This is the same with LWRP as it is with the SRP set to null (default pipeline).

I ran a similar test in Unity 2018.2.17f1 and it runs at a solid 60fps (as it should). It also showed it was rendering 2 RT's.

Any ideas ? Basically 2018.3 is unusable for mobile, IMO.

Thanks

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If this test runs fine in 2018.2, but "fails" in 2018.3 beta, could you please submit a bug-report (with this test) as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/guide-to-beta-testing#tab-3

After you submitted the bug report, you receive a confirmation email with a Case number. Please post this Case number here, in this forum thread, for Unity staff to pick up.

3. webjeff

webjeff

Here's the issue ID: 1106010

Oddly they said I wasn't using the latest, but I don't see a higher beta than 12 as of this message.

Peter77 and LeonhardP like this.
  4. webjeff

webjeff

I wanted to post some screenshots of the profiler in 3 situations, since they were easy to test. I setup a new project so I could submit a bug report and found something interesting. A new project in 2013.3 beta seemed to work at 60fps. It wasn't until I added the LWRP package that things got slower (with an empty scene).

See my screenshots of...

1. Profiler with new project, no pacakges, empty scene
    2. Profiler with new project, lwrp and set a lwrp asset.
    3. Profiler with new project, lwrp set then removed (why is this NOT the same as #1)?

Attached Files:

5. Feelnside

Feelnside

I'm also having 34fps (30-31ms) on Asus zen phone 3 (was 60fps in 2018.2). But I used LWRP in 2018.1 maybe 4-5 months ago and then removed that. I don't know if it was able to affect the current build in 2018.3 beta 12.

The issue is reproducible on: Asus Zen Phone 3, Lenovo TAB 3 Plus, Huawei y5 prime 2018, Galaxy s5 mini, Nexus 5x (I assume it's reproducible on the all Open GL ES 3.0 devices).
    The issue is not reproducible on: Prestigio Multipad 4 ultra quad 8.0 3d (only this device is not supporting Open GL es 3.0, I tried to build the game with only Open GL 2.0, but the issue is still reproducible on the devices described above, difficult to understand why the issue is not reproducible on Prestigio).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. Feelnside

Feelnside

Do you have any replies from Unity on the issue?

7. Feelnside

Feelnside

Sad to know no one from Unity replied to that thread. Reverted back to the 2018.2. It's impossible to use 2018.3 on Android :(

8. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hey, sorry for the delay. We will take a look at this bug asap.

Cromfeli and Feelnside like this.
  9. webjeff

webjeff

@phil_lira

I was able to track down some more info. After literally hours of scratching my head and tediously toggling off/on settings while testing builds, I was able to get back into 60fps (16ms) renders again. Basically, the LWRP had turned on Anti-Aliasing to 4x and I didn't realize that my device (Nexus 7 2nd gen didn't like that) was killing my frame rate, even with just a camera and blank screen. May want to check that out @FeeInside.

I'm now running at near 16ms with models, animated characters and a few shadows. Basically well enough to keep using the LWRP.

I'm not sure if there's any "bug", but I feel much better at the moment. I do wish I would have caught this somehow using some of the Intel VTune tools. I'd still like to know why their are multiple render targets, but I need to run that tool again after turning off AA and see what that shows.

I'll keep you posted on more of my findings. I really want to use this going forward.

LeonhardP likes this.
  10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

11. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting that. There seems to be multiple issues here. One is that LWRP is changing project settings when switching to it and not restoring back. The other seems to be a perf regression on engine side.

We are looking at these.

webjeff and Feelnside like this.