Search Unity

Resolved Odd Lighting Square

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Clevertop, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Clevertop

Clevertop

Hello All,

Im working on a simple test/debug area for testing my game but I have started seeing this strange square where the lighting is brighter and washed out. I only have one light source (the starter directional light) and no others. It is hard to explain so please have a look at the image:
    upload_2021-2-7_20-27-26.png
    Note that I prefer the lighting inside the square if it is possible to keep that but my main priority is just to have uniform lighting across the scene. If anyone knows how to fix this lighting any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I've seen weird artifacts sort of like this under certain conditions with shadows. Try turning shadows on/off or toggling the type of shadow on the light, see if it changes anything.

3. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Do you have a reflection probe on the scene? That kinda looks like the difference between the areas inside and outside the probe range.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  4. Clevertop

Clevertop

Ah that's it, I didn't realise reflection probes affected lighting like that. Now that I have expanded the area to enclose all of my objects the lighting looks fine. Thanks for the help!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  5. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

In physically-based-rendering all surfaces, even the roughest ones, are affected by reflections (even if just a little bit). Surfaces outside a reflection probe range use the skybox as a reflection source.