Search Unity

Oculus Without Sensors

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Marrt, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Marrt

Marrt

Oculus Rift Question: How can i start my application without the sensors plugged in?

The Oculus App won't show anything but this error message if i disconnect the sensors
    "Critical Error
    we cant find your sensor, please connect your sensor"

But we really, really don't need head tracking because we only play VR-Video on a spherical skybox, so no close objects that will cause dizziness when the head moves. This thing goes into a backpack only containing the headset and a notebook, nothing else. Isn't there some "headset only" mode? I know i loose timewarp and other features because of this.

2. Marrt

Marrt

Followup: it seems that this message can be closed by pressing the start button on the oculus touch controllers. So now i just have to find a way to check if this message is currently displayed and then fake a start input event. Then i can go fully without sensors or controller.

3. Okamensky

Okamensky

Hello, have you worked this out? I am also looking for a way to use headset without the sensors.

4. Marrt

Marrt

Hi, i used the latest unity-oculus-plugin from the oculus site and the problem was no more. These are my settings
    upload_2018-1-12_4-31-21.png

As soon as my app starts the error message dissappers and the app runs, but only in standalone, not in editor.

5. JVLVince

JVLVince

Same here, but I want to use the sensor and the touch controller only, I don't need the headset but still don't know how to set it up. :(

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@JVLVince So VR without a headset? Can you clarify? Do you already have the Oculus system with the headset?

7. JVLVince

JVLVince

@JeffDUnity3D
    Thanks for your reply and sorry if my comment or this reply drive you to a new topic of a problem, if this should be created as a new topic please let me know and where should I move this topic.

I already own Oculus Rift set (HMD, touch controllers, sensors)

This is my Scenario:
    We want to use the controllers only. (because all the content will be display on the desktop monitor. We do not need the head tracking (position, rotation,...) We just want the controllers to work in 3D world (we only need controllers' position in 3D world).

This is my Environment:
    * Unity 2018.1.6f1
    * Oculus Integration Asset pack (the newest)
    * Oculus device set's set
    * We don't want to use the HMD so I set the main (the only one camera inside my scene) camera Target Eye properties to None(Default Display)

My problem now:
    I can always get the touch gesture on the controllers but can not get the PRESS event of the button of the controllers. I have tested several cases and I got these result:
    * Set camera's Target Eyes to Both, Left or Right and wear on the HMD => controllers PRESS event recognized.
    * Set camera's Target Eyes to Both, Left or Right and NOT wear on the HMD => controllers PRESS event NOT recognized.
    * Set camera's Target Eyes to None(Default display) => controllers PRESS event NOT recognized. (This is what I want to do)
    * Create a render texture, create a VRCamera and set Target Eye to Both this camera is used to render what display on the HMD, create a cube to display the render texture content (this cube will place somewhere inside scene where the user never can see it) => controllers PRESS event NOT recognized.

Please help me.
    Thank in advanced.
    Vince.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  8. cemkarakus

cemkarakus

Could you share the download link? I am also same problem. I have DK2 without sensors.

9. Marrt

Marrt

No sorry, this was two years ago, i havent had a VR Project in the meantime. They might have changed a lot.