Search Unity

Oculus Touch haptics bug in SteamVR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Aaron-Meyers, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I noticed that the haptic feedback in Oculus Touch controllers gets buggy when you are trying to trigger the haptics on both controllers at the same time.

Works fine when I try to activate them separately, but as soon as both are getting triggered, the results are very erratic/unpredictable/not good.

If you try this simple test in Unity, you should be able to reproduce it:

Code (csharp):
    1. // inside some Update()
    2. if ( Player.instance.leftHand != null )
    3. {
    4.     var trigger = Player.instance.leftController.GetAxis( Valve.VR.EVRButtonId.k_EButton_SteamVR_Trigger ).x;
    5.     var strength = (ushort)( trigger * 1000f );
    6.     if ( strength > 0 )
    7.         Player.instance.leftHand.controller.TriggerHapticPulse( strength );
    8. }
    11. if ( Player.instance.rightHand != null )
    12. {
    13.     var trigger = Player.instance.rightController.GetAxis( Valve.VR.EVRButtonId.k_EButton_SteamVR_Trigger ).x;
    14.     var strength = (ushort)( trigger * 1000f );
    15.     if ( strength > 0 )
    16.         Player.instance.rightHand.controller.TriggerHapticPulse( strength );
    17. }
    The only mention of this bug I could find was the corresponding bug for the OVR SDK, described in this thread: https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/48718/weird-issue-when-using-haptics-on-both-touch-controllers

Someone from Oculus provides a workaround, but its unclear if it was ever fixed in OVR.

Perhaps this same workaround could be implemented for SteamVR?

Does anyone already have a workaround for SteamVR?

-A

2. plmx

plmx

Just chiming in to see that we are seeing the same issue here. We are using the latest SteamVR API, so I believe this has never been fixed. There is a bug reported here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/openvr/issues/639 with no updates since it was reported.

3. Brady

Brady

Same issue here.