Search Unity

Oculus Runtime 0.7: better performance | extended mode dropped

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MS80, Aug 13, 2015.

1. MS80

MS80

Hi, Oculus has announced Runtime 0.7 which will bring some changes:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/upcoming-oculus-pc-sdk-0-7-compatibility-changes/

==> " We’re working with Unity to update Unity 5.x to 0.7 so that Unity 5.x users don’t have any additional work."

I would like to know which Unity version will support 0.7? Is it already on the road for coming beta versions?
    "Extended Mode" is replaced with the new "Direct Driver Mode" which seems to be much faster, how will Unity handle the new display mode | the dropped display mode (extended)?

Thanks in advance

2. Gruguir

Gruguir

Now that the Oculus runtime 0.7 is just released, i'd also like to know which version of Unity will be compatible with. Unity 5.2 i guess ?

3. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

0.7 runtime is completely function with the latest stable version of Unity with VR: 5.1.2p2.

5.2.0p1 will also be supported, but 5.2.0 will not.

We have a few more 0.7 specific optimizations that will be coming in the next few patch releases. Keep an eye on the release notes.

If people do have 0.7 specific Unity issues, please post them here. Be sure to update your graphics card drivers as Oculus suggests.

davem250, Gruguir and elbows like this.
  4. elbows

elbows

Thanks very much for the timely info.

5. davem250

davem250

i just tested the new SDK with win10 and i cannot get it to Work but maybe i am doing something wrong? i just tested the demo scene as well and that doesn't Work at all :/ maybe they released it too early? what i did was downloading and installing Oculus SDK 0.7 runtime and the oculus utility for unity 5, and i still cannot get the rift to Work with unity... i guess it is hopeless or else i AM doing something wrong...

6. elbows

elbows

You need to install the right graphics card drivers to make 0.7 work - this is the big change with 0.7, a lot of the VR work is now done by the graphics card drivers.

7. davem250

davem250

oh sorry for not mentioning the drivers as well, i did install them also!

i just keep getting the message from unity that libovr was not found so unity disables VR

Actually my unity (regardless what version i use!) crashes when using the new Oculus 0.7 Runtime because i have to use Dx11 and normally i don't have trouble using directx11 but with the new Runtime i do :(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. davem250

davem250

Btw, is the oculus utility for unity supposed to only contain dll's for the gamepad? because i cannot use any other unity integration packages since i'm on Windows 10

9. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

Maybe I need to try this version instead of 5.1.2p3

Is there a way to disable directx in Unity 5? I remember doing this in Unity 4 to get the direct to rift apps to work.

I keep getting a crash when I try to test the game from Unity.

10. davem250

davem250

i don't know if you can disable directx completely but you CAN switch manually between directx 9 and 11 :) under the player settings ;)

11. elbows

elbows

Seems to be working fine for me using Unity 5.1.3p1 in DX11 mode on Windows 10 with AMD HD 7970 graphics.

BadSeedProductions likes this.
  12. davem250

davem250

hi @elbows yeah but you're using AMD Graphics Card, i use a Nvidia geforce gtx 980 and i don't think that is the problem, but if it is then nvidia has uploaded flawed drivers for the 0.7 SDK :p but no matter what i do as soon as i use the rift and i either try to play in editor (unity) or try to build the game (simple empty game just for testing purpose!) then the rift makes my Unity (personal edition! i have tried with both 5.1.3f1 and 5.1.2p2) crash and i don't even get the "send a report" window in 5.1.3f1 but no matter what the issue is here i certainly cannot get it to Work... :(

13. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

This same thing is happening for me and I have an old 600 series Geforce. Nvidia hasn't even uploaded a new driver for it. Maybe Nvidia is the issue...? Can anyone else confirm problems with Nvidia GPU?

14. davem250

davem250

Maybe you're right maybe it is Nvidia's drivers that is the issue at the moment, and it would be nice if someone could confirm this like BSP mentioned :)

BadSeedProductions likes this.
  15. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

I just downloaded
    Patch 5.1.3p1
    and I have yet to have a crash *knocking on wood until knuckles are bloody

davem250 and elbows like this.
  16. davem250

davem250

I will try it out instantly ;) hoping for the best :)

17. davem250

davem250

Sadly it doesn't Work for me :( do you Guys have another SDK installed? i have installed only runtime 0.7 and then in my empty unity project i have imported only the oculus utility for unity 1.0 beta... could it be that there is something i have forgotten?

18. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

noemis likes this.
  19. davem250

davem250

Hi BSP & elbows :D i have solved my problem... it seems that when you haven't installed previous versions of the runtime then you have to do that first on Windows 10 (maybe it is a win10 pro only "feature"?) at least it worked for me even though i still had to manually put the positional tracking into my c:\windows\system32\drivers folder but what made the difference in addition to insert the positional drivers in there was to check that the runtime could find the display drivers inside c:\windows\system32 folder! it is a hassle they have forgotten to either mention OR else i don't know how they forgot... but either way Unity doesn't crash on me no more :D So thank you both for all your help! i am very grateful ;) Cheers.

20. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

I have had success by closing the Oculus service software.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  21. davem250

davem250

@BadSeedProductions - unfortunately that didn't help me to get the rift to work, because it kept telling me that i needed the OVRDisplay64.dll inside C:\windows\system32\ and then OCUSBVID.sys inside C:\windows\system32\drivers\ so when copying the OCUSBVID.sys i chose to copy all three files in that folder (Positional Tracker folder) somehow the installation couldn't do those things by itself... but it works properly now and it is awesome :D

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

So downgrade from 5.2.0f2 to 5.1.2p2 until 5.2.0p1 for 0.7 runtime compatibility?

23. mehrankan

mehrankan

Hi,
    I can't seem to get Effects to run properly on 5.1.3P2 with the 0.7 sdk. the effects I am using are "3d look up texturing" and "antialising". I have my project set to deferred and linear.
    the occulus display just goes black when I have the effects turned on.
    When I imported my project I deleted the old "standard shaders" folder and re-imported the effects.
    please help. my project has to be deferred +linear and I neeeeeeeeeed the antialiasing.

24. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

For the tl;dr
    I believe this is related to AA not that it works as expected on or off but; with AA off I get a grey black screen and an error ("depthSurface == NULL || rcolorZero->backBuffer == depthSurface->backBuffer") in the log, with it on I crash to desktop. If off in Unity and forced in the control panel I get black screen.

Okay I clearly have somthing not right;

PC is Win 10 Pro running 2 Nvidia 970s on the latest drivers (355.82) with Rift 0.7 and the 5.1.3 Unity release current at the moment.

Oculus runs its own demo scene no problem e.g. the one in the config tool.
    Unity crashes to desktop no bug window offered; this is true with a scene of moderate complexity
    Unity runs like a flip book at 1fps reported when using a nice simple scene e.g. the Trivial example scene from the Oculus Utilities package.

Few things I have tryed (none have any effect)
    Clean project from start with and without Utilities package in Dx9, 10 and even 12 experimental
    Completly remove Oculus drivers and reinstall (includes manualy sorting through and insure no trace on the HD restarting after removal and before re-isntall
    Same done with Nvidia drivers
    Tryed using various older Nvidia drivers

An interesting thing of note.
    As I said the Oculus config demo scene works as expected; if I then try unity rather it crashes or I use an empty scene and get 1fps then exit out and try the config again Oculus gives a mucked up image and the config demo scene runs like a flip book.
    What ever is happeneing when Unity mounts the headset its hosing the drivers; it takes a reboot to sort it back out. I have tryed to sort it via service restart without restarting ... no love.

I fully expect I have done somthing stupid or overlooked somthing anyone have a sugestion?

PS: I read through the thread and tryed I think all of the previous sugestions including confirming the files in the Sys 32 and drivers folders.

PS...again:
    I tested my setup again, and still have the same issues. I have also tested using Config window demo scene, and previously built VR work of my own including Unity builds and all work fine (they where built back before Win 10 release).

PS ... more testing
    Based on comments in the threads I saw that some had some luck playing with Antialiasing; I have noted that a clean scene using utilities only with antialiasing turned off in unity for the quality setting being used. Doesn't crash ... somewhat worce it throws the error
    "depthSurface == NULL || rcolorZero->backBuffer == depthSurface->backBuffer"
    Head tracking does work however and if you select the camera the in editor preview shows what you expect
    Turn antialiasing back on and crash to desktop; this can be tested without needing to simulat by turning your headset on but first be sure to be in the quality settings and set the AA to none, turn the headset on and it should be working and feeding you the above error, if you toggle AA on you will crash to desktop, if you turn the headset off then turn it on you will get the warning about no headset turn it back on now and your fine, change the setting in quality settings with the headset on to any value other than none and you crash to desktop
    I also testing by setting Unity to none and using the Nvidia control panel to force things; once I got it working ... all be it upside down, but was never able to reproduce.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  25. davem250

davem250

Yup you're absolutely right :p you need the newest Nvidia Beta Drivers (the least supported with win10 and OR SDK 0.7 is 355.83) and i got it to work with Unity 5.1.3p1 (you can find it under the patches section) i hope this clarifies a little at least :) hope you get it up and running ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  26. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Now I think I'm going a bit crazy; and found part of why
    The driver version I am on is actually 355.84; the page I got it from (https://developer.nvidia.com/oculus-07-sdk-driver-support) reads 355.82 hence my previous error; but it does DL 355.84

In any case still crash on all the conditions above.

27. Loden_Heathen

Loden_Heathen

Latest build of Unity at least seems to work in VR some of the time e.g. 5.2.0

I have noticed an occasional crash bug and oddities with screen effects that wheren't there before but least I can test the UI I have been building lol

28. elbows

elbows

5.2.0p1 is out and as expected there are various VR things mentioned in the patch release notes.

I've not actually had a chance to try this version yet, but here are the relevant details from the release notes:

• VR: Oculus: Upgraded to 0.7 dependencies.
    • (711316) - VR: Fixed point light rendering issue with deferred renderer.
    • (722915), (723184) - VR: Fixed regression with linear lighting and anti aliasing on windows.
    • (722122) - VR: GearVR: Fixed gles20 rendering crash.
    • (none) - VR: Overall stability improved.

29. cr4y

cr4y

I'm trying to use DK2 with Unity 5.2p1 on Windows 10 and have about 1fps on empty scene. Demo scene in config util is working great, so I guess it is sth with Unity itself. I have GeForce GTX 750 Ti with current drivers, also new Oculus runtime (0.7). Unity 5.1.3 has same issue for me. It was working few months ago with older Unity and Windows 8. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Are you running the special NVIDIA driver with 0.7 support?

31. kideternal

kideternal

I had hoped that 5.2.0.p1 would improve upon the performance of 5.1.3.p2 so I could release my project soon. But unfortunately, the opposite is true.

I have a scene that in 5.1.3p2 runs at 75 FPS on my GTX 970 in the editor using the DK2.

In 5.2.0.p1, with the player/camera in exactly the same spot of the same scene, I get 50 FPS!

(I get 180 FPS @ 1080p in the editor by running with the Rift turned off.)

It seems that every new release of Unity w/Oculus over the past 3 months has seen performance degrade rather than improve. Plus, features like Field of View in VR-mode have been removed with no timeline for re-inclusion. How about the way those tree-billboards wiggle; will we ever get a fix for those? How about some stable light-map baking? What am I paying you guys $900/year for again? </frustratedrant>

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  32. charlie177

charlie177

Is anyone else who still uses DK1 experimenting problems with the lastest version of Unity(Unity 5.2.0p1) with the SDK 0.7.0 ?

I get a image that doesn't look like it has much depth, rather a flat image with a bit of depth, the stereoscopy looks wrong and instantly gives a headache.

My specs : AMD graphics card R7 series compatible with liquidVR and latest catalyst beta driver + Windows 10