Search Unity

Feedback Oculus Rift S and Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scottymclue, May 30, 2021.

1. scottymclue

scottymclue

Hello chaps,

I do hope you're all enjoying a fabulous weekend. Now, the question did arise and we're not entirely sure, of the capabilities of unity or which 'packages' or versions of the system we may need to download.

But we have an 'Oculus Rift S' and we were wondering what are the starting things we need to accomplish this feat.

So far, we're having a blast with unity and it is quite and excellent bit of tech, even if there is a proclivity for conflicting information out there. I'm sure with your help we can begin our journey into VR.

:)

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

scottymclue likes this.
  3. scottymclue

scottymclue

Super that worked

4. scottymclue

scottymclue

I have a few more questions if anyone can help.

So my daughter has ordered two more headsets, for different members of our family and thus far, as far as I'm told, the latency between the rift and the 3090 card appears to be holding up. We have set up a pulley system configuration which does enable enhanced mobility but does appear to be an eyesore, although my water based painting hangs rather nicely inside the apartment.

20210602_073124.jpg

[I do wish we had these wondrous bits of tech growing up, stepping into VR for the first time was a supremely breath taking experience]

So questions are, how does one apply scale inside VR, this has confused us somewhat, how do we reduce the nauseous effects of locomotion in game, how do we increase visual fidelity and which toolkit is preferred nowadays, we heard about steam VR, and also unity's defacto but neither is clear which path to pursue.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Supposedly you can scale the XRRig itself, although this requires more testing. I asked similar question before a while ago.

Nausea happens when camera moves while the person stands still.
    People that used VR for a couple of months slowly grow immune to it, but until they get "strong VR legs", if you allow them to walk around using controller, they'll want to puke. In the worst case scenario they'll get nauseous in minutes. Some people never develop immunity.

In terms of severity, it goes like this (from the least severe, to the most severe):
    "Walking around with a controller" < "watching a wobbling grass field in no man's sky" < "Playing Doom 1 or Doom 3 in a helmet" (very fast movement with inertia) < "Playing a VR racing game using a third person chase camera".

Basically, walking around with a controller made me nauseous in 5 minutes when I first tried VR. Adaptation took few weeks of playing Half Life Alyx in 2 hour sessions.
    After that "grass field" thing was still able to make me nauseous.
    Trying ot play "Doom 3" in VR caused forgotten feeling of nausea again, it passed in a few days.
    And "third person car camera" caused unpleasant effects again.

Common methods to combat VR sickness is to forbid the player from moving smoothly and use a teleporting movement and snap turn. If smooth turn and smooth movement is allowed, games usually apply "vignette" effect to the area, narrowing view area.
    Another possibility is to put on a visible helmet onto the player. Helmet wiring serves as some sort of "anchor" that reduces the effect, that's while "Echo" and Roller coaster games offer the option. Cockpits should work too. Someone who is sitting inside a car/plane shouldn't be affected by the effect to the same degree.

You increase visual fidelity by developing higher detail assets. Keep in mind that in VR it mightb a smarter idea to stick with cartoon visuals, because FPS must remain high, otherwise the player might get nauseous again. I played some poorly optimized games at something like 10 fps, it is exceptionally unpleasant.

SteamVR, OpenXR, Oculus are "platforms" that provide VR, IIRC unity provides a universal wrapper for all of them, but you'll still want to account for controller differences. VIVE has a trackpad, Oculus doesn't.

scottymclue and stain2319 like this.
  6. scottymclue

scottymclue

Thanks that made sense.

7. scottymclue

scottymclue

Hello everyone, we've decided somewhat on our theme. But the next confusing thing we have is to do with lighting and the pipeline? In not too sure if that is what the correct term is :)

We would like to use the basic render pipeline and perhaps the post processing 2 stack if that what it is called.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.postprocessing@3.1/manual/Installation.html

Our only concern really is to do with the lighting. The two options we are eyeballing is either to go with the unity option or a little asset called 'bakery.' My daughter seems to think 'bakery' might be a grand idea for investment with the Rift S.

Although we're not too sure? Help :eek: