Search Unity

Oculus Rift games monetization question

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by yuriythebest, Mar 16, 2015.

1. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Right, this is a naive question, but is it possible to repeat the strategy of android/ios with Oculus (ads, free-to-play). Are there any oculus ads? I bet interstitial ads would be great, as long as they are not directly in front of you but a bit further away, and the image could be 3d, or it could be a 3d movie! I, as a small developer, cannot create big-budget games that people will buy with money, nor am I interested in creating "tech demos" of which there are more than enough. Anyone has any more info/insight on this?

El Maxo likes this.
  2. El Maxo

El Maxo

wouldn't it be a good idea, since this is VR, to include the advertising within the game environment, so billboards with the product on, on a in game phone (depending on the game). since immersion is something that should always be focused on

srmojuze likes this.
  3. El Maxo

El Maxo

If you would like to PM me I would love to talk to you about some ideas on how to include ads in your game, in a way that isn't intrusive (like at the bottom). tests that I have done have shown this really doesn't work. At the moment I don't have the time to implementing them, but would be interested in working with someone else (if that is ok with you).

4. like_a_bosss

like_a_bosss

getting into VR development is pretty easy. In many cases too easy. There are plenty of 1-3 min "play and forget" stuff. So i believe that the competition among "self made inide devs is going to be huge. The avarage margine of profit for most indie devs is going to be low. about advertising stuff.recently we have around 70k of dk2s, even if the number of CV1 would be 10 times bigger it still wouldn't even be a milion. Would the user base of 1-2 mil be enought for companies from diffrent areas of economy to jump into vr advertising? The answer is YES but the intrest still would be low.
    you said " as a small developer" how small? team of 20, team of 10, team of 5, team of 2 or maybe team of 1?
    If you are alone then good luck.. There is like90%+ chanse that you wonn't be able to create anything that people would be willing to pay for in 1-2 months. if you can spend 6 months-then maybe you would have like 20%of succes .
    How many of availabe damos acctualy made any $ ? in my opinion 20 at most. 5 in adult section 15 in normal section. Now how many of them became cost/profit efective? split that number in half. 10 out of over 800 is my personal guess.So at this stage its hard to make $ out of it.
    VR is not first aid type of product , you need to create a need in people to buy your stuff,either it's advert or a game. if you can not deliver breathtaking experiances and advertise them effectivly/ you just wont earn as dev a living