Search Unity

Oculus Rift DK2 - Switch between normal Camera and OVR Rig

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by S_P_S, Mar 12, 2015.

1. S_P_S

S_P_S

Hey folks!

I am working on an application where I can use the Oculus Rift (DK2) and the normal PC monitor alternately.

When I start the game I want to have a normal camera which shows a menu.

Then I click a button and I can use the Rift.

I read somewhere that you have to activate and deactivate the OVRManager which is attached to another GameObject (not the CameraRig). When I start the DircetToRift.exe, I deactivate the OVRManager and see the view from the normal camera showing the menu.
    But when I want to switch in VR Mode the application freezes. I don't know where the problem is.

I hope someone can help.

Regards

EDIT: In the Editor everything works, but the directToRift.exe does not work.

Pulov likes this.
  2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I had that functionality working perfectly with the 0.2.x SDK, but with the 0.4.x SDK (DK2 era), it crashes the editor or standalone builds when I try to switch to OR cameras. Simple cases work, but I have a somewhat complex multi-camera setup.

I started a thread on the Oculus forum about it. It seems that others are having issues too.
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19117

I'm definitely hoping for a fix and/or a different way to do it in the next SDK or whatever. VR functionality has been broken in my game for several months because of this issue. There's a rumor that tighter integration with Unity 5 is coming, including a better way to switch back and forth like that.

Pulov likes this.