Search Unity

Oculus Rift compatibility tool GPU questions

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Retruate, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Retruate

Retruate

Hello!

I know this is a very simple question, but I don't know how to answer it myself or where else to ask it.

I'm considering getting an Oculus Rift (mostly for development).

Anyway, I have a Surface Pro 4 - 256GB / Intel Core i7 - 8GB RAM, and I downloaded the Oculus Rift compatibility tool for Windows and ran it. Everything seems fine except for my GPU. I have the "Intel® Iris™ Graphics 540 for 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors" while Oculus recommends "GeForce GTX 570" or "AMD 290". Where can I find information on how to compare these processors, or if you can answer my question yourself, will my graphics card be a problem when I try to connect to the Rift?

Thanks, have a great day!

- John W

2. macdude2

macdude2

Did some work for you because I was curious as to how silly a question you were asking. Turns out pretty dang silly: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...gtx-970m-6gb-vs-iris-pro-graphics-5200-mobile

3. Retruate

Retruate

That's what I feared... anything GPU related made by Intel probably won't perform well... The Surface Pro 4 isn't a gaming computer though, so it makes sense. I have the Intel Core i7 with 8GB RAM, so will that perform well enough that I don't run into issues? I doubt it, but just asking.

Do you have an Oculus Rift?

Thanks!

4. macdude2

macdude2

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The bottleneck for VR HMDs is the computer's GPU so you'd almost certainly still run into issues.

And I was lucky enough to get a developer CV1! Haven't got it working quite yet as I'm on a mac and needed to get a usb hub, but I'm planning to try and see what I can do with it tomorrow. I've only got an r9 m370x (~1/3 the speed of the recommended) so its likely things won't work all that well...

Edit: Just tried it! Managed to get the oculus remote working so I was at least able to see a few of the experiences. Frame rate was pretty poor even in basic scenes. I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping the display from completely stuttering is the async rendering tech. Anyway, I definitely feel I could develop for it with my current computer. Definitely is not the optimum experience though – there's almost no sense of presence when the display can't refresh quick enough.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  5. Retruate

Retruate

That's disappointing.. but somewhat expected. I share an HP Envy laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 940M - Intel Core i7 - 4GB RAM. It suffered a drop, but the only apparent fallback is a cracked corner screen. Do you think that will be fast enough?

Great! I'm sorry it's not working at optimum speed, but I'm glad it's functional!

6. macdude2

macdude2

7. Retruate

Retruate