Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Rift blurry and outlined text

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by adrian-lupsan, Oct 12, 2017.

1. adrian-lupsan

adrian-lupsan

Hello guys,

I am prototyping a game using the Rift and I would like to implement a sort of timer watch using the UI. The problem is that the timer text should be relatively small. I have tried different combinations like large number of dynamic pixels per unit, small scale on the text component (0.01 or even 0.001) and large font size but I still get a pretty blurry text that is uncomfortable to read and it also looks like having a small outline, which of course, it doesn't come from an outline component because I don't have such component attached.

I also tried to set 4x MSAA but it still didn't solved the problem. Any suggestions?

2. nat42

nat42

Probably not the guy to help, but perhaps a screenshot (or a few if you have multiple results you aren't happy with) might help people to understand?

I guess you are ultimately limited to the 'blurriness' of the eye buffers you render to? (of twice this because Nyquist, assuming you don't try and do some kind of hinting or sharpening). Possibly in some cases you can up this a bit (to the point where you render a bit more than the actual VR HMD diaply, but trying to get a more 1:1 correspondence in the central eye views after distortion correction), I think?

Ultimately though I think you have to accept that pixels are effectively chunkier in VR because they cover a bigger arc length of our visual field, so it's my naive presumption you might just need to use bigger text or a different design (like say a pie graph that fills in) to design your way around the fixed limitations of the medium.

MSAA shouldn't have any effect because you are still getting the same number of texture samples per eye pixel, in the pre-distortion corrected buffer, I think