Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Quest ?

Discussion in 'VR' started by DiscoFever, May 11, 2019.

1. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Did anyone got a chance to get hands on one ? How's the workflow like ?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's just like the Oculus Go.

3. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Oh ... ok ... I'm just using VIVE; can you have a preview in Unity using the controllers ?

4. bgolus

bgolus

Are you asking if you can use the Oculus Quest Touch controllers on PC, or are you asking if you can use the Vive wands on the PC?

The answer is yes to both questions, with some caveats.

To use the same Touch Controllers that come with the Oculus Quest on the PC you need to have an Oculus Rift S, which uses the same controllers. However there's a pairing process that links each Touch controller to a single headset, so really you'll have two sets of the "same" controllers in that case.

To use the Vive and it's controls on PC you'll need to build support for it and the Oculus, just like you would for any Unity PC VR game, though you may want to strip the Vive related components when you build to the Quest.

5. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Gosh you're everywhere ;)

Yeah I was basically asking how the workflow was; I it would benefit from having an Oculus Rift (and sell my Vive) but it doesn't actually matter as you said.

Thanks!

6. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

In line with this thread: I am thinking I have to make a choice between Unity VR and Oculus VR. Is this an issue? I have pushed UVR to my go and it works fine. What am I missing? My only thought is OVR lets me publish with Oculus and UVR doesnt?
    Thanks for the answer.

7. bgolus

bgolus

Unity XR supports the Oculus (as well as most major headsets) natively. Whether you're using "Unity VR" or "Oculus VR" you're technically always using Unity XR. The Oculus Integration just adds some additional Oculus specific stuff, like access to the guardian system, getting the current controller mesh for in-game display, and post projection overlay layers, but most scripts are wrappers for built in Unity XR functionality. I don't know of any requirements to actually use Oculus VR's integration when publishing to Oculus, though when you have the OVR integration there's a handy in-Unity tool for uploading the build to the store, it's just a wrapper for the command line tool you could use instead.

8. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I am thinking then the only difference really then would be getting access to controllers. I have to dig another step deeper to see this part. I have incorporated the OVR controllers data panel and would need to reincorporate this with UVR.
    Thanks for the answers on this issue. A little clarity goes along way when trying to figure out what the next decision is.

9. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

I built and pushed the suggested new project to Quest: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/22/multi-platform-vr-features-in-2018-3/. The apk is generated with no errors. There are warnings about other VR sdks but oculus is autoselected. The install never appears on the device in library or unknown apps. I even adb install -r and to no avail. I guess I am bleeding on the bleeding edge.

My bad. Needed to install the Oculus SDK. Showed up in warnings where it should have shown in errors based upon Oculus selection in Player settings. This compiled and ran on Quest. It is just a display as there is no navigation motion just head tracking.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019