Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Quest VR in Editor

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kemagezien1, May 26, 2019.

1. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hey guys I'm having trouble with the Link and the editor. yesterday I got it working but today it just crashes unity when I hit play. Any ideas on what to do?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. FloHal

FloHal

I'll check when i'm at home.

3. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Turns out that when you add the Oculus Desktop package it works just fine.

4. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I'm getting the crash today too but it was working fine yesterday :/

5. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Thank F**k for that now. Because of this I have ordered today an Oculus Quest and compatible link cable until the original cable is available to buy. I also made this decision as my nvidia gtx 970 is also now compatible. I did not want to buy a new graphics card just for this.

This is going to make developing mobile VR stuff so much quicker.
    Thank you Oculus for listening to me. Just one more thing, maybe it is already available but as I only get my Quest on
    Monday I do not know if this is already possible yet.

question_: It would be really great to be able to simulate thequest hardware in Unity. That means If my game is calling to many draw calls for the Quest and would judder or not run smoothly if built to the Quest, then using simulate would actualy judder in the Quest over link. Then I know I need to look at the profiler again. This means if your game runs well over simulate, you know that when you build it to the device that it will run just the same.

Once again, thank you, thank you and thank you. You now have me as a new customer to Oculus because of this,

6. bricefr

bricefr

Do you guys know if the Link will be available for macOS?
    I know AMD cards aren't still supported - but the dev page says they are working with AMD to support them by the end of the beta. My question is more about the presence of a VR compositor - or such - to install on the dev machine - like SteamVR for the Vive? I exchanged my Vive for a Quest just because Mac support was abandoned, and now, even if I can deploy to the Quest using the traditional Android app package & deploy system, I'd really like to see the Link work on Mac as well... would be awesome (back when the Vive was supported, even through an eGPU, I had great performances).

7. bricefr

bricefr

In the mean time, the "Patch" live feature of the Android profile deployment dialog in Unity happened to be really helpful (took me a while to understand this...). If you didn't make any modifications to your scene - just your code - you can deploy in a few seconds, thanks to the like APK patching through ADB I guess. But even if you made modifications to your scenes, given the fact everything is cached, the deployment usually take nothing more than 1 minute or so (depending on the complexity of your scene; just the first deployment takes some time). I know it isn't as fast and convenient as live development on the Rift and the Vive - and you don't get access to your scene while testing - but you can still debug. Not as painful as I thought it would be :p

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You need windows 10 (not 8 or 7) and you need USB (blue) ports. Even then you need an Anker cable as recommended by oculus or you're just going to be bang out of luck guys.

AMD is no dice really unless you have one from this year.

Finally, what they don't tell you is that Link has a *huge* overhead but if you're making mobile vr content in Unity it should be smooth and pretty great.

If you don't have recent blue USB ports of 3.1 or so, Win 10 and a proper spec Anker cable, you're not going to get it working and you shouldn't try. So make sure you get that sorted first.

Honestly, it's not just something you can do any old how. I've been through this grindstone.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No. Just make a build, it takes 2 mins. Once it's set up it's fine. What you ask for doesn't and never will exist.

So:

1. Press play and test it on Quest as usual
    2. Every so often make a build and run, takes a couple of mins

No problem?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Might be worth just getting a moderate Windows machine? Would be way cheaper than a mac

11. bricefr

bricefr

Yeah I guess you're right, but we already own the Macs - with the eGPUs and stuff - and frankly Unity is way smoother on macOS than Windows (as in reactive and stable). I sometime don't understand why man see so much tutorials or public events where "officials" are using a Mac and at the end they don't provide full support on this platform. I guess it's the rule of supply and demand.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  12. bricefr

bricefr

Thanks for your feedback.

Overhead as in CPU and GPU computation? Meaning you'll get less through the Quest than other headsets, on a same hardware setup?

The next question is: how many people who has bought the Quest will build up such setup (Link)? I mean it's more a "core gamer" approach - who BTW will be more interested by the Index, the Rift or a HTC one, so is it really necessary to consider this (furthermore if like you said it comes with an overhead), or should we focus on the standalone optimized gameplay...

13. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

IT’S ALIVE!

Yes, I only got the Quest today and had only a few problems with my USB but I got it working with my cheap cable and setup was super easy. I will write back here tomorrow with my specs and step by step instructions, especially my USB problem what I had.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. I can now just press play in Unity and everything works in play mode, even the controllers and no latency. Magic!

Works absolutely fine with my GTX970, i7 2700k, 32GB Raptor, Asus P8P67EVO mainboard, win10 x64, USB 3.0 on-board and this Cable

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MG7YD6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this adapter

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B078HRTQG7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- SCRCPY works

- Stream to device works

- Chromecast V3 works

- Unity live play works

- File transfer works like a dream

I am super happy, thank you Oculus

14. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

3 quick tips that cost me loads of wasted time

1. If the cable is not recognised by the oculus win software, then remove all usb devices and plug them back in one after each other. Have no other Android devices connected. Now the Quest was recognised with the Cable. Be aware you need a new high quality Quest compatible cable for this to work. The cable that comes with the Quest will not work.

2. Yesterday all worked fine but today pressing play in the Unity Editor did not work. Oculus software was up and running and says Quest connected and active, in Unity all settings were correct and Quest was recognised but still nothing.

All you have to do is disconnect and reconnect the Quest cable, click the blue accept button in the Quest and all works again.

3. Btw the Oculus win software is a monster package of 7.34GB and I had to try 3 times to get it installed. The trick was to just leave it to install and don’t do anything else in the background. So just let it install and do not use any other programs while it is installing.

LeninRaul likes this.
  15. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Okay, nothing worked today. No Link even though all was green and up and running.

The solution is:

- What happened is that your Quest software updated itself to version 12 but the oculus software on your pc is still 1.4.3

- So go into your oculus pc software under settings, beta and activate beta. Your oculus software will get updated to version 12.make sure you have 12GB free on your drive.

- You can see the update under Library, updates.

- After the install restart your pc and all works again.

16. dakomz

dakomz

Where are desktop build settings for Oculus?

17. dakomz

dakomz

Oh... I see, though it says it's being deprecated and to use XR Plugin instead. Anyway I haven't gotten it to work yet :\

18. kidsfab

kidsfab

Hello all. Could anyone with the Quest confirm that it is possible to hook it to a PC, press PLAY in the editor, and still have access to all the editor functionality (hierarchy, scene, inspector ...) on top of having controllers and HMD tracking reflected in the editor ? I'm considering purchasing a VR headset mostly to record the HMD and/or Controllers' movements (transforms) in timeline, for 6DOF mocap. I currently have a character with IK enabled arms and only need to move IK target cubes's transform.position around to animate those arms. Am I right supposing that this is feasible ? or am I completely missing the point? Many are mentioning in this thread the need to build to Quest... whence the reason I have doubts.

19. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Well, that is a novel idea. I suppose the answer is yes as when you press play in the editor and look through the quest everything is being updated int the editor too. meaning that when you move your arms and head in the quest you see all the transforms moving in the editor too. So it should be possible to record some animations. You may need to write some code for that. I will take a look at this more over the weekend if this is possible or not.

kidsfab likes this.
  20. kidsfab

kidsfab

Thanks eagleeyez, I really appreciate your move. Looking forward to reading your findings. Cheers.

21. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

So I just took a look in play mode and you can see everything getting updated in the editor in real time. So that would mean you have access to all of the controller and headset transforms during press play (live streaming) But the problem would be recording those movement while as soon as you exit play mode any changes to anything would be lost. However if you can code it would be possible to save those changes. I have umotion, so I am going to write to the developer and ask him if it would be possible to record an avatars hand movements in VR with his umotion plugin.

I can see a lot of applications for making very quick and easy animations.

And by the way, Hand gestures now work in the new quest update and it works unbelievably well. You have to activate that in developer options and then you can switch between hand gestures and controllers on your bottom menu bar. It tracks all your fingers exactly and I think the SDK for that is also now available.

kidsfab likes this.
  22. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Does XRDevice.Model return anyone else anything when using Oculus Link in Editor?
    Also does XRDevice.GetTrackingSpaceType return Roomscale or Stationary? For me it only returns Stationary regardless of what Guardian Roomscale/Stationary mode I have on!

23. gkara

gkara

My Quest arrived yesterday, so I am now trying to set everything up in order to be able to connect it with the Unity Editor.

What I have done so far:
    - Got an Anker USB cable => the Quest is recognized by the Win10 laptop (it appears in the adb devices)
    - Enabled developer mode in the Quest
    - Installed the Oculus setup software in the laptop
    - Configured correctly the Quest in the Device of the Oculus software
    - Started a new Unity project, imported the Oculus Integration asset, added the “Open VR” and “XR Legacy Input Handlers” packages, configured the project for Android build with VR Supported enabled

[The Oculus Link probably works because I can see now all the Rift's stuff in the Quest]

So, what are the next steps so I can use Quest directly in the Unity Editor in play mode and not have to rebuild every time?

Thanks

24. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Google is your friend https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/82363/oculus-link-unity-set-up-guide

25. gkara

gkara

26. MVRKHQ

MVRKHQ

i've had no luck at all accessing guardian system data via the link in the Unity editor. so for the time being i have to build to the device to test the guardian system as well as the hand tracking

ROBYER1 likes this.
  27. HypothicEntropy

HypothicEntropy

So let's compound the problem more... How to test the Quest hand tracking without having to build it every time to the Quest? I want to do some complex hand tracking stuff, but building every time is gonna make this.... dumb.

28. MVRKHQ

MVRKHQ

i agree and i'm having the same problem. unfortunately, after checking the Oculus forums, it seems there isn't much we can do about it.

29. Maddy25

Maddy25

Hand Tracking in the editor Play Button works with newest oculus integration ! :D
    upload_2020-2-29_15-34-24.png

30. Maddy25

Maddy25

short notice: you need to enable the hand tracking first, and then activate oculus link. After that dont touch the controllers anymore, else handtracking gets lost again.

31. darkesco

darkesco

Okay, so in 2019.3.14 XR Plug-In Management, click windows tab (The monitor icon to the left of the android icon). Make sure "Initialize XR on startup" and Oculus are checked. This appears to make the desktop operate through the Quest. The project can remain Android. For me this is great! I can debugging in desktop, then build and deploy to test Quest graphic fidelity.

HypothicEntropy likes this.
  32. dansopanso

dansopanso

worked for me too.. i switched back to desktop build an enabled oculus in xr settings. after that it also worked after switching back to android

33. LTPStudioXR

LTPStudioXR

I made a tutorial going over Unity Quest Editor Hand Tracking. Windows10/ Unity 2019.4 /Oculus Integration17.0
    The setup is only to develop (Desktop) and not for deployment (Android)

gjf likes this.
  34. maxaud

maxaud

Anyone have a good solid walkthrough on how to do this with the Quest 2? I’m having troubles even getting my Rift S to enable when you push play in the editor.

35. citywARe

citywARe

Is there any chance to make it play in the editor when using a laptop gpu like the gtx 920m? I understand why you wouldn't be able to play Rift games with such gpu but i'd assume that merely moving the unity camera is not too demanding. Am i doing something wrong on my part or is the gtx 920m to blame entirely. Please advise :(