Search Unity

Oculus Quest VR in Editor

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kemagezien1, May 26, 2019.

1. Kemagezien1

Kemagezien1

Is it possible to debug/test in the Unity Editor in VR with the Oculus Quest?

Currently I always have to build, move .apk, install with adb (which is quite a slow proces).
    So just pressing 'Play' from within Unity and be able to debug/test from within the Editor would be very helpful.

Or what is the 'Best' alternative to Debug/Test in the Editor in VR?

Thanks in Advance

2. Tibor0991

Tibor0991

The only solution right now is buying an Oculus desktop HMD, since the editor automatically emulates mobile controllers using desktop ones.

3. elbows

elbows

I have seen some videos where people are using a few extra programs (RiftCat, VRidge) in order to get the Quest to behave like a desktop VR device, with content still rendered on the pc but the results streamed to the Quest, etc. I dont know if this will work with Unity but its probably worth a try if you want to avoid the expense of getting another VR headset.

ZhavShaw, Philkrom and Bovine like this.
  4. silvergaucho

silvergaucho

Really interested about this.

@Kemagezien1 have you discovered some good alternatives?

ZhavShaw and Railon23 like this.
  5. doctor_di

doctor_di

I have been unable to get this working. Quest dev goes rather smoothly with the Oculus SDK, but you have to really understand ADB and how to connect via USB and/or TCPIP. I like to work untethered over TCPIP which has necessitated using Oculus' SDK. However I would gladly tether to use Unity Editor VR as in Steam, Vive, etc. to avoid the builds and loading as noted above. It's way too slow.

If anyone has this working, please help.

ZhavShaw likes this.
  6. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

I am also interested in this. If anyone has more information.

7. R1PFake

R1PFake

Did anyone have success with this? I managed to stream with these tools, but all of them act like a "fake" Vive on PC, I didn't find any solution which creates a "fake" Rift, so it's kinda bad to use/test Oculus specific features (or even input mappings) with these streaming solutions.

8. elbows

elbows

Yeah I only mentioned that solution because its the only solution I know, not because it is a perfect solution, sadly.

9. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I would have bought a quest if it had live preview for developers in Unity like daydream.
    I am not prepared to build each time I want to see a change and using a rift as live preview would just not be the same as just being able to use a quest.
    We need a Hybrid Quest. That means stand alone and plugin on one headset.

come on Oculus make things easier and faster for rapid development.
    Or do you like building each time you want to experience a change you made?

It is time to up the game!!

pierrep, arufolo and enhawk like this.
  10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I would advise buying a cheap Windows Mixed reality headset and working with that if you are working with Unity Native XR Rig or something like VRTK, if you are only using the Oculus SDK (and if you can afford to) then buy a Desktop rift headset to allow for desktop in-editor development.

Steevsteeven likes this.
  11. jacobian

jacobian

Hey

Riftcat and ALVR both work,

Unfortunately need to add the SteamVr asset from asset store,
    So will need to keep in mind how things will port to Oculus asset.

Once you have either alvr or riftcat/vridge running on both pc and quest and connected hit play in unity,
    Unity will start steamvr and it will show up in the quest and on the screen in unity,
    You can change variables and all the normal editor things seem to still work

I need to hit close on steamVr before i can hit play again in the editor, seems to need to be started fresh each time.

ALVR for me seems to render the Vive controlers and not the quests while
    Riftcat for me seems to render the oculus controllers so it is my preferred streaming app, on free version it can only run steam vr for 5 min at a time, since steamvr is constantly being reopened.

12. zkkzkk32312

zkkzkk32312

Hi there,

Does Riftcat support USB instead of Wifi for the Quest?
    I am having issues connecting VRidge to RiftCat and it just gets stuck at the "Seeking Connection" state with connection type is set to USB.

13. drugges

drugges

I heard while visiting Unite in Denmark that you are now able to debug Quest using USB cable, including the hand controllers. Since like 4 days ago. Anyone know more about this? I’ll continue searching and drop my finding herw if you like.

Kemagezien1 likes this.
  14. drugges

drugges

It is called Oculus Link and is comming in November. Sounds so good.

15. Kemagezien1

Kemagezien1

So the Oculus Link would solve the Unity 'Preview' while developing? Instead of having to build and sideload all the time?

16. appymedia

appymedia

I watched the Oculus connect videos and they made a specific mention about developers now being able to instantly preview things on Quest with Unity / Unreal just like with the Rift / Rift S. Trying to find it again now!

EDIT Found it, links to the right moment :)

17. drugges

drugges

Yes! Life will be so much easier starting November.

18. markjanzen88

markjanzen88

well this Link feature is going to get me to buy a quest...seems like it would be just awesome for doing dev/testing work for both mobile and PC now!

Bovine likes this.
  19. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

Can anybody confirm if the Link cable is working

20. Bovine

Bovine

I dont think any cables exist yet and the feature isn't in the latest quest update. Expectations are for this month however and there's been confirmation, as noted above, that previewing while tethered will work

21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

22. appymedia

appymedia

I've got one of these cables coming today...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7NNJ61/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should be ok if I'm reading the specs correctly. I wanted something longer and they only have a 6ft cable in the UK of the Oculus recommended one @ROBYER1 mentions.

Will report back once it arrives and what the experience is like in Unity & Quest for fast dev iteration / play mode.

I can confirm the charge cable that comes with the Quest won't work (as expected) and I also tried a USB2 cable I had and that didn't work (as expected). Worth a shot though right :D

Bovine and ROBYER1 like this.
  23. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Apparently it works in the Editor if you are using the Oculus Plugin in your project, not sure about the OpenVR plugin like SteamVR though

ChrisCain likes this.
  24. appymedia

appymedia

I'll give them both a blast and report back here, hopefully OpenVR just uses the Oculus API's / Native SDK in the background which I hope should just work then.

Steam games are working with it apparently, a good sign.

25. appymedia

appymedia

Cables arrived and it works just fine for Oculus Link so thats a good start.

I tried using the 'old' built-in runtime support in Unity by enabling 'Virtual Reality Supported' in the player settings but that failed. Suspect I'll need a more up-to-date Oculus runtime to get things working either via the Oculus integration in the asset store or the 'XR Management' package.

Will report back on what I find...

ROBYER1 and Mojo-Game-Studio like this.
  26. Bovine

Bovine

ROBYER1 likes this.
  27. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

So presumably this doesn't just work out of the box, ie I plug in this magic cable and suddenly I can run everything in the Unity editor (It would be wonderful if it does work this way), so anybody know what other software we might need if this cable indeed works?

28. Bovine

Bovine

It might

29. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Quest Link is ready. Here are a few things to remember, though:
    1) The USB type C cable that came with the Quest is just USB2 cable. You will need a USB3 cable to use the Quest Link feature.
    2) The desktop Oculus software needs to be v1.43 or later.
    3) The Quest firmware version needs to be v11.0 or later. To trigger a firmware download, turn on the Quest, plug it into the charger, and leave the Quest running on your desk. The Quest will automatically sleep, and then after a while it will wake up a automatically upgrade the firmware.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  30. appymedia

appymedia

Managed to get 5 mins to try some Unity stuff this morning.

Didn't start well and not able to use the desktop style HMD preview with the Link with Unity and started to notice about a 1/3 of the time the link wouldn't connect at all, no Unity etc involved :(

I saw @ShilohGames comment re the desktop software beta and switched over to the beta channel, got an update and voila, all working better now, cheers @ShilohGames!

I definitely had a version that worked with the link before though so I'd make sure to opt into that beta are they are obviously improving things in it right now.

Back to Unity I retried a 'vanilla' project with no Oculus integration and that worked fine this time. Installed the Oculus Integration asset off the asset store and tried one of their samples and that was fine, all exactly like like you've got a Rift S, impressed.

Will see about the OpenVR next....

31. appymedia

appymedia

Tried OpenVR using the bulit-in support in Unity (I removed the Oculus SDK in the player settings to be sure it was using it) and it worked first time no issues. SteamVR started up in the background and the Unity project was working etc.

Steam in general as you would expect works in VR, passed all my initial worries and then some, well done Oculus.

Railon23 and Mojo-Game-Studio like this.
  32. Mojo-Game-Studio

Mojo-Game-Studio

hmm just tried to install the rift pc software and it fails, I'm guessing my lowly laptop's gtx920m is the problem. Oh well back to build - test - build - test for me :(

33. appymedia

appymedia

Yes, seems we need quite high spec machines for now anyway, see the following...

https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

34. appymedia

appymedia

Total side note but something I noticed with myself is after trying out Unity I thought I'll also enjoy playing some of the PC Rift games I have, but once that cable is cut there is no going back!

Even with the reduction of graphics performance vs a high end PC I really can't stand the cable there, even for seated stuff IMO.

Hurry up with the wireless version Oculus ;)

For Unity dev work though its a massive boon, instant preview is very welcome.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  35. R1PFake

R1PFake

Keep in mind that Oculus Link runs the game on your PC and not on your Quest, that means the visual and performance could be very different after you build and run the actual game on your Quest.

mandisaw likes this.
  36. mgear

mgear

ROBYER1 and appymedia like this.
  37. appymedia

appymedia

Just ran into some problems via the beta channel and PC rift software and needed to opt out as well. Strangely the originals issues I had with Link that 'seemed' to get solved via the beta have gone away so all's well that ends well and everything is still working, guess that's why they call it a beta, fun times ;) Still impressed

38. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Well, two days ago when Oculus first launched the Quest Link feature, you needed to select Beta to get version v1.43 of the desktop software. Now to get v1.43 of the desktop software, you have to opt out (disable) the Beta. As of today (November 20, 2019), the Beta version of the desktop Oculus software shows version 12, which is weird and currently busted in terms of Quest Link. Anyway, with Beta disabled, we can use the Oculus Link feature.

I updated my original post above to reflect the changes regarding this.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    appymedia likes this.
  39. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Overall, I really love this Oculus Link feature. I already loved the Quest, but this new feature pushed it over the top. Previously for VR development, we needed a Rift to play a game during development. So to develop for a Quest previously, we needed a Rift and a Quest. Now with Quest Link, we can play using the Quest during development, and then later build for the Quest.

The feature is not perfect, though. It is extremely picky about USB3 cables. For example, I have a USB3 cable with a type A on one end and a type C on the other end, and that cable works. I tried adding a type A USB3 extension cable into the mix, but the Oculus software claimed the extension cable with not a true USB3 cable. In fact, I tested every USB3 extension cable I own, and none of them passed the test in the Oculus software. That aspect reminds me of the pain getting the Rift running where the Oculus software will often complain about perfectly fine USB3 hardware when setting up the Rift sensor towers.

appymedia and ROBYER1 like this.
  40. LooksRealStudio

LooksRealStudio

Hello everyone,
    my Quest works well with Link in games and Oculus Home, but Unity doesn't recognize it.
    Unity version is 2019.2.13f1 and Oculus Integration 1.42
    Do I need something else to test Quest directly from Unity Editor?
    Thanks

41. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

someone please explain to me how to use this feature with the unity editor. Trying to start the editor from the oculus desktop software after connecting the quest cause the quest to freeze. How did you guys do it?

42. DaffRider

DaffRider

Oculus Desktop say install new Oculus Quest update inside the Quest but Quest say no update avaible :(

Quest release 415630.6700.0

Oculus Destop 12.0.0.49.268

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  43. LooksRealStudio

LooksRealStudio

I found the solution to my problem.
    To use Quest in Unity Editor, you need the Oculus Desktop package and enable it in the Desktop Build settings.
    My project had only Android Oculus package installed and Desktop Build VR support disabled

dansopanso and ROBYER1 like this.
  44. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It's like trying to run with OpenVR without adding the OpenVR support package

45. appymedia

appymedia

Oculus Destop 12.0.0.49.268 is the BETA desktop software, you need to opt out of that for now, it will then install a version like 1.43.0.324220 and work fine (assuming you have the latest Quest firmware installed), ran into the same issue myself.

46. DaffRider

DaffRider

Hi Appymedia

If i understand just remove access to beta in Oculus Desktop app or i need to logout from Oculus Desktop & Quest ?

Thx for your help 2 days i try to found solution to use Quest + Oculus Link with Unity Editor

I need to switch my android unity project to windows ?

qFrct likes this.
  47. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Well I did all of this but as soon as I start a app trough the link it goes on for like 1-2 secs on the quest and then freezes for a really long time while it continues playing on the pc screen. Could be my cable that is at fault.

48. DaffRider

DaffRider

je use Anker USB 3.0 to UBS-C cable with 56ohm resistance lenght 6ft (Oculus recommendation)

49. DaffRider

DaffRider

Workfine Now !!! :) Thank you so much !!! Crazy

appymedia likes this.
  50. stychu

stychu

Is it possible to enable play mode via link on MacBook ?? Do I need Windows for that ?