Search Unity

Oculus quest thumbstick issue

Discussion in 'VR' started by surya251992, Aug 26, 2019.

1. surya251992

surya251992

The axis values of oculus thumbstick gives a a value for a frame and then again returns 0. Same is Happening with the oculus plugin as well. ovrplayercontroller does not move with thumbstick as it returns 0 continuosly after a frame

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. Corysia

Corysia

3. surya251992

surya251992

4. surya251992

surya251992

5. Corysia

Corysia

You may find this useful: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-unity-settings-for-mobile-vr/

You should be doing 'single pass' not 'multi-pass'.
    API level needs to be 25 now, I think.
    You should be using .NET 4.0

Your settings look a bit different, but I'm using 2019.1.14

I recently put together a super-simple project to show someone how I built a scene. I will upload it to github after I get home from work tonight.

surya251992 and ROBYER1 like this.
  6. surya251992

surya251992

thanks for the details! I will try it with the suggested settings...will be waiting for your git upload

7. Corysia

Corysia

8. surya251992

surya251992

is this tested on quest? I have tried with the suggested settings and the thumbstick issue still persists :(

9. Corysia

Corysia

Yes, I tested it on my Quest. I did see the same problem with the thumbsticks. I needed to delete and create the AndroidManifest file twice before it behaved correctly.

Once I finish the tutorial, I will upload an apk. After that, I will look in to ensuring the Rift instructions are correct.

10. surya251992

surya251992

I have downloaded your project on git and it worked on quest, so should I have to remove the manifest twice to make it work!?

11. Corysia

Corysia

I've seen inconsistent behavior. Some projects, I have to do the delete/re-create step twice. In others, it works fine the first time. I guess it's kind of like when you have to reboot something -- it's messed up and this fixes it. Once it works, you won't need to rebuild it again. So it's one of those things I like to address early on when making the project.

What I thought was odd was when I pulled the repo down in to a new scratch directory, I had to go thru these steps again. It makes sense when you think about it because I didn't check in the Oculus Integration package. Re-adding that and setting up the project for Android probably re-creates the manifest that needs to be deleted. So, repeating the step cleans it up again.

But that doesn't explain why I have needed to do this step twice in a local project I haven't put in to source control.

12. surya251992

surya251992

Thanks a Lot for your inputs and help!!
    I was able to setup the stuff working on my project with changes in manifest file.
    Adding up this line solved the issue <uses-feature android:required="true" android:version="1" android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking"/> along with the settings you have suggested.

Some other findings are:
    It works well with multipass as well and all the assets loaded from asset bundles will look black if we use single pass.
    When we do the axis mapping in lower versions of unity i.e below 2018.3 it wont work.
    I have tested the mappings with 2019 and above version and the same code worked.

Thanks a ton! for the time you have spent on this :) :D

13. Corysia

Corysia

It may be that setting lighting to Gamma rather than Linear and going back to single-pass will work, too. VRTK has a problem with Linear. I'll be honest, I really don't know what the difference is under the hood. It was a suggestion I picked up off of https://developer.oculus.com/blog/tech-note-unity-settings-for-mobile-vr/

But I'm sure you want to try to get it working with Single-pass. That's discussed in that article, too.