Search Unity

Oculus Quest + OpenVR: get floor offset?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Aaron-Meyers, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I'm working on a project on the Quest, but on my dev machine I have a Vive so I'm using OpenVR rather than the Oculus SDK. Is there some way to have the Quest builds offset from the floor properly the way the Vive automatically does when I'm testing in the editor? The Quest clearly knows where the floor is because the guardian stuff is set up, but it doesn't seem to want to use that in the tracking data. I tried throwing the TrackedPoseDriver onto the camera (Device:Generic XR Device, Pose Source: Head) to see if that might help, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

2. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

No one else out there trying to use Oculus Quest with OpenVR?

Seems likely that its an issue where Oculus doesn't like to play nice with open platforms, but has no one found a workaround? I don't want to have people placing their controllers on the floor to calibrate every time!

3. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

for those wondering, the answer was:

UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType( UnityEngine.XR.TrackingSpaceType.RoomScale );

ROBYER1 and mattbenic like this.
  4. PMC0919

PMC0919

Aaron-Meyers, thank you for confirming the solution to the Quest tracking issue.
    I am just learning unity, but I am trying to use the Quest to walk inside my Sketchul models.
    Where would I need to add the code you posted here?

5. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Anywhere really... you just want to call it once when your scene starts so I’d recommend putting it inside an Awake() method on any MonoBehaviour in your scene.

6. PMC0919

PMC0919

Aaron-Meyers. Do I need to add it to an empty game object? And can I just have the code you showed:
    UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType( UnityEngine.XR.TrackingSpaceType.RoomScale );
    Or do I need to add....public class and a name etc, and also the brackets? {?
    I have looked at other scripts / codes that seem to have lots of info in them.
    This shows how little I understand, but to get it to work on my Quest I just need to know this one thing! For now.

7. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Yes, it would need to be on a game object in your scene. Create a new C# script in Unity and name it whatever you want. You could just put that one line exactly as it is inside the Start() function that it will automatically create in the C# file. Then put that C# file you created on an empty game object in the scene.

8. PMC0919

PMC0919

Thank you very much Aaron-Meyers. I will give that a go.

9. PMC0919

PMC0919

Hi Aaron-Meyers, sorry I need your help again please. I have now got an error message: Assets\XRDevicetracking.cs(8,60): error CS1001: Identifier expected.

I added your code in the following way....
    public class XRDevicetracking : MonoBehaviour
    {
    //Start is called before the first frame update
    Void Start(UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType(UnityEngine.XR.TrackingSpaceType.Roomscale);)
    {
    }
    // Update is called once per frame
    Void update ()
    {
    }
    }
    I assume I have got some brackets wrong?

10. dwatt-hollowworldgames

dwatt-hollowworldgames

void Start()
    {
    UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType(UnityEngine.XR.TrackingSpaceType.Roomscale);)

}

you had the function call as a parameter

11. PMC0919

PMC0919

Thank you dwattintellisoft

12. PMC0919

PMC0919

i still can’t figure out the script! I still have error messages.
    Please see the photos attached of the errors and the code.

Attached Files:

13. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

try starting over and name your script something else. "new" is a reserved word in C# (and most programming languages) so using it for the name of a class is asking for trouble.

14. PMC0919

PMC0919

Aaron-Meyers, thank you. But does the script seem ok? Or is there too many brackets etc?

15. PMC0919

PMC0919

Now there is an error saying....
    Assets\XRDeviceTracking.cs(10,79): error CS0117:’TrackingSpaceType’ does not contain a definition for ‘Roomscale’

16. unity_7x6X0jz2esHi2Q

unity_7x6X0jz2esHi2Q

void Start()
    {
    UnityEngine.XR.XRDevice.SetTrackingSpaceType(UnityEngine.XR.TrackingSpaceType.RoomScale);
    }
    RoomScale insted of Roomscale