Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus Quest - Leap Motion integration

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Tom-Goethals, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Hi Fellow Devs,

Has anybody heard any rumors about Oculus Quest having Leap Motion tech integrated?
    controller free hand visualization would open up a couple of great interactions.

On Leap's website there are indications of an Android SDK release being imminent. (https://developer.leapmotion.com/android/#107)
    and they offer a partner program. (https://www.leapmotion.com/partners/)

Fingers crossed.
    Tom

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

No it wont have it. Oculus is focusing only on their controllers and are not adding any extra cost to a mass market product by integrating hardware which has very limited use cases. If you have any of the leap motion hardware you know it's not really for gaming.

3. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

You're probably right. However with at least some of the cameras of the quest working in the visual spectrum they might be able to do something similar with the existing hardware. Would be great for some experiences to be able to see your hands without the controllers. (albeit more in a b2b context then in gaming probably)

4. unity_17maca

unity_17maca

You guys seam to have more knowledge then I have. I have a trash computer at home. When I run my VR game in Unity, will it run on my PC’s or on the Oculus Quest’s hardware?

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Quest is an Android device so you would have to build and deploy the game to it every time you want to run your game in VR mode. Can't really run the game in the editor other than simulating the device or possibly via screen mirror apps like ALVR, if these things support Quest when it's released.

6. unity_17maca

unity_17maca

Thank you for your answer, time will tell.