Search Unity

Oculus Quest - dungeon crawler game design

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vanz, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Vanz

Vanz

Hi All,

I used to use Unity quite a bit but been away for awhile, just bought a quest 2 and have an itch to get back into programming again. I'd like to get into making a dungeon crawler style VR game for the quest/rift.

would really appreciate any books, youtube vids, tutorials and/or links that can get me going, specifically,

- designing games for oculus quest/rift and dungeon crawler type games

thank you,

rh

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's really something you should research yourself and then come back with more concrete questions.
    Unity has manual, script reference, and learning sections along with tutorials. Everything you need to get you going is already at your fingertips.

For a crawler design, you could check out Arcaxer or Ancient Dungeon on SideQuest store...

The main concern would be not making the player puke. As there's a great deal of VR tolerance between someoen who got the headset today, or someone who played it for 2 months.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

If it's a dungeon crawler like Legend of Grimrock or the Wizardry series, this might be an ideal use case for player teleportation based movement. That still has some of the best new-player tolerances from what I've seen.

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

If you go with teleportation make sure to have option for stick locomotion. Myself and many others do not invest in games with only teleportation.

Also try to avoid teleportation all together when that option is enabled. For example in Half Life Alyx when you use stick locomotion you still teleport when you jump over gaps or objects.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

In all honesty, developer should accomodate for both teleport and smooth locomotion. Because once you've built tolerance, "anti puking measures" become annoying.

On other hand, dungeon crawler is well suitable for seated play.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am developing for Oculus 2 ...too!

p-