Search Unity

Oculus quest compatible shader

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by norby, Apr 2, 2020.

1. norby

norby

Hi, just a question.
    My problem is that i am not a coder, i like to know if someone can point me in the right direction. looking for a good shader solution that works on an oculus quest. Don't know what to buy at the asset store. Looking for ocean or water, metal, reflection shaders that works out of the box. any suggestions are appreciated.

Norby

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Universal pipeline works out of the box as do any mobile shaders. There's no compatibility issues I know of for the built in shaders, so why are you posting this? could you clarify?

Also if using URP, shadergraph works fine.

It also helps if you add what version of Unity and what pipeline you're using.

gjf likes this.
  3. norby

norby

Every ocean or water shader that i have tried did not work, slows down a simple scene or on one eye you can see waves and the other eye does not see anything . I am not an expert any recommendations ?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I can't help really until you tell me what pipeline you're using. But if it's a SRP like HDRP or URP, then use the shadergraph (there are many tutorials online for this). It only requires clicking together.

For built-in you could try Amplify Shader Editor for similar.

If you have double vision for water only and nothing else, it's best to just do your own shader using Amplify Shader Editor or Unity's own Shadergraph (free but requires SRP)

I don't recommend third party because people don't update their assets properly, so I won't recommend a water solution from asset store.

Dan_G and gjf like this.
  5. norby

norby

Thank you for your help, i will try to follow this tutorial

Norby

6. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

EDIT: I misread the "built-in". You're referring only to the built-in shaders, which are the minority :). Oops, my mistake - sorry.

WAT? No. In my experience, most light/camera-related shaders *do not work*, because they're hardcoded to assume one, or both, the following:

Single camera
    Single eyepoint

Sure, you can fallback and set your rig to multipass stereo, and that usually "fixes" a lot of shaders (at a significant drop in performance), but for the single-eyepoint problem ... which often occurs with reflections in particular ... that won't help.

In addition ... URP isn't the easiest to get working with XR. I'm avoiding it like the plague, but most people seem to run into problems with it until they've tweaked it a bit (I've only noticed the threads in passing, and passively read up on other people's issues getting it to work, so I havent' tested myself - but it's clearly not (always?) automatic).

7. norby

norby

Hi a436t4ataf

Thanks for your reply, i see that it is quite difficult to find a good solution. Although i have seen some good water shades on some of the demo's of oculus quest.

8. dolphin767

dolphin767

I"m happy to say that there are water shaders on the asset store that work great. Stylized Water 2 for URP is amazing, and it's updated regularly. For built in, there is a very sad amount of water shaders.