Search Unity

Bug Oculus Quest Camera Depth buffer calculations are off

Discussion in 'VR' started by creat327, May 9, 2021.

1. creat327

creat327

Hi

I have a water shader that was driving me crazy because it works perfect in most VR systems and PC, but in the Oculus Quest 2 it looks wrong. So I was able to track it down.

Here is the simple frag code of the shader I used for testing

Code (CSharp):
    3. float ori = SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE_PROJ(_CameraDepthTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.scrPos));
    4.         float d = Linear01Depth(ori);
    5.         c.r=  d;
    6.         c.g = d;
    7.         c.b = d;
    9.         surfaceEyeDepth = i.scrPos.z;
    10.         sceneDepth = LinearEyeDepth(ori);
    11.         viewDepth = sceneDepth - surfaceEyeDepth;
    13.         edgeBlendFactor = saturate(_InvFade * viewDepth);
    14.         c.rgb = lerp(1, c.rgb, edgeBlendFactor);
    15.         return half4(c.rgb, 1);
    This shader, what it does is to render into screen the DepthTexture in gray scale, and then the edges would render as white. Perfect because that´s exactly what I want to get, the shore lines. So here a screenshot working just perfect in the editor. You can see the mountains (depth texture) under the water plane, and the edges in white.

forum1.jpg

But, If I compile and run this on the Oculus Quest 2, something completely wrong happens.

What it seems to do is to render the mountains under (so it seems _CameraDepthTexture has the correct information), but the shore line goes up and down depending on my distance to the water. So if i fly up, the shore line moves up, and if i go down, the shore line goes to its proper position.

My guess is that LinearEyeDepth is working wrong, but I really don't know if that's the reason. Any ideas?

2. lappnSIRT

lappnSIRT

Im having similar issue. Have you found a fix?

mpa7ster likes this.
  3. creat327

creat327

nope, report it as a bug

4. creat327

creat327

do you have a project that reproduces it? if so, please submit it as a bug report. I've tried to isolate it to a small project but I can't. It seems to be a combination of things that causes this bug and I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet.

5. PolyMad

PolyMad

Instinctively I would say that it seems like the Quest is calculating Z buffer at a very low precision.
    I'm having a similar problem btw, and not even need a special shader: I just have some boulders crossing at about 50 meters distance from world origin.
    This is definitely a precision issue.

Oh well, and I've just found this: upload_2021-10-3_1-5-51.png

https://forum.babylonjs.com/t/incor...s-quest-c-using-logarithmicdepthbuffer/7253/4

6. creat327

creat327

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  7. PolyMad

PolyMad

You can set it at 24 bits.

8. creat327

creat327

you can't set the default camera depth buffer precision in Unity as far as I know. There used to be a checkbox that allowed to put it at 24/32 bits and that is long gone. Unity, any help?

9. st_Drunks

st_Drunks

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
    I think this depth bug might be causing problems with my decals on Quest builds.

They seem to move based on the distance from the camera. Basically the further I go, the further they move away from their intended spot

PolyMad likes this.