Search Unity

Oculus Quest - Absolute Positioning and "room" sharing across devices

Discussion in 'VR' started by Tom-Goethals, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Dear Fellow Devs,

We're looking for near future solutions to do arena scale experiences like Oculus showed during OC5.

just like Apple and Google have image tracking in their AR sdks to define an absolute position in a room and then use SLAM to do the more iterative positioning we're looking into solutions that would offer this for Oculus Quest. A bit like Hololens where it remembers the room to then have an absolute position.

Does anybody have any info whether Oculus or Unity will include this functionality in any of the SDK's? at launch?

I know Oculus will bring the guardian system to Quest so that kind of implies they're able to get that room-info. For networked games with multiple people in a room it would be really cool to have a low level sdk where the room itself could be updated across devices. Imagine moving a physical object in both the real world and the virtual one. All Quest devices should be made aware to avoid hitting something, the low level guardian system should be able to handle this imo. ...

Anybody currently using HTC Vive Focus and doing something similar who wants to share their experiences?
    Any other solutions? soft or hardware? Focus does not have a guardian system other then just showing a border 1 meter out of your starting position.

Any reactions are most appreciated!
    Tom

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. R1PFake

R1PFake

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I guess the devs who have a Quest dev kit are currently not "allowed" to say anything about it, since it's not released yet. If you have a serious project then you could try to contact Oculus/FB and you might get a dev kit if you are lucky.

3. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

We tried a couple of months ago but got redirected to the oculusforbusiness website which is of no help. Tried the Oculus Start program where they offered Rift Kits but we already have those... I guess they're also focusing on consumers/games rather then B2B stuff for the moment and they're distributing them only to known developers in that space.

If you/someone knows of a way to contact the correct people regarding work on Quest in the B2B space.. feel free to reach out.

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

The guys over at immerse.io have access to dev kits and they are not in the games space. I think you need to be pretty high up on the facebook pecking order to get access!

5. brunzero

brunzero

now that the quest is released, i'm curious to hear if you've gotten any more info on this

6. PiroKun

PiroKun

7. curtispelissier

curtispelissier

Hello guys, I'm trying do reproduce a multiplayer arena with the Quest and there's absolutely no helps or docs to just rebounds the envrionment or set the origin point of the world at the center of boundaries.

So, if someone did it, I'll be interested to learn how is it possible. Thanks !

8. juliochassan

juliochassan

for people interested in this development, the secret is in the tag that is hanging on the ceiling to give the orientation to the players, look at the video in detail. the first thing is to hit the top video camera of the Oculus Quest to read that tag or other option is to create a server that triangulates the positions of all players

9. Riiich

Riiich

Maybe for the Quest devs, but that's not something we can do, as we don't have access to the camera..