Search Unity

Question Oculus Quest 2 - Pixels popping out - Chromostereopsis

Discussion in 'VR' started by Firewalker, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Firewalker

Firewalker

Has anyone tried Oculus Quest 2 and noticed that all flat images appear not flat at all?
    Reds are floating (popping out) like crazy.. every flat image looks like it has depth (even in their main menu).

It looks like it's Chromostereopsis , but it is just too much. I can imagine it has something to do with RGB pixel composition inside their new single-display screen.

It is impossible to show a normal 2D image on Quest 2.

Has anyone ever encountered this, and is there any way around it?

2. Geist2501

Geist2501

Indeed. I have encountered that on a lot of textures, like bricks, carpets and other things that have rather strong contrasts in colors that correspond with the chromatic aberration of the Quest 2 lenses. I think that this is the cause and there is likely no solution to that. I mean one would expect that could be countered to some degree with a shader doing the opposite of the lenses, but one also could assume that this is already done to the extend possible...

I guess we gotta work with or around that:(

3. Firewalker

Firewalker

It could be solved in the rendering layer in hardware. I wonder why they have avoided it.

4. Geist2501

Geist2501

I think they really did that already. I'm pretty sure they took the cheapest lenses they could manufacture and fiddle around with it until they deemed the result "acceptable for the price tag". I am quite happy with the overall package the Quest 2 provides, but it has objectively the worst optics/lenses of any Oculus headset. Going back and forth from my Quest and Quest 2 i'm taken aback each time by how strong the chromatic aberration is. Trade-offs ;) Let's hope someone builds a 400 bucks stand alone device with decent optics, eye tracking and and a micro sd or m.2 slot :)

After processor and ram, i'm quite certain the optics are the most expensive part of the HMD.

5. runette_unity

runette_unity

This is causing me some problems that never existed on the Quest 1 - what should be flat images appear incorrectly curved leading to "VR sickness" that was not a problem before.