Search Unity

Question Oculus Quest 2 / OpenXR - primary and secondary button presses not registering

Discussion in 'VR' started by vatara, May 17, 2022.

1. vatara

vatara

I'm having problems getting the primary and secondary buttons presses working. Every other input feature seems to work, including the "touch" event for the buttons, but "press" never becomes true.

I'm using Unity 2021.2.7f1, OpenXR plugin 1.3.1 in my actual project. I created a test project from the VR template project, that had OpenXR plugin 1.3.0 and it has the exact same problem. If you look at the input debugger, primaryButton and secondaryButton never become true, for both hands.

Am I doing something wrong or is this bugged?

Screenshot 2022-05-16 213545.png

Video of me testing it:

xinuxano likes this.
  2. Adjuvant

Adjuvant

same issue, +1 for help

Unity 2022.1.0f1
    OpenXR 1.4.2
    Oculus Quest 2 headset

When I use Oculus as Open XR runtime instead of Steam you get the button presses e.g.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    xinuxano likes this.
  3. vatara

vatara

Yeah, that's exactly the same for me, when I'm using the Quest with SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime, primary and secondary buttons do not work. Switch to the Oculus runtime and they work fine.

xinuxano likes this.
  4. MoonMode_Chris

MoonMode_Chris

I don't have an solution, but want to add my +1 to this. It worked months ago when we released our game, but at some point in the past... 3 months or so I guess it stopped, idk if it's an update to the openxr runtime or steamvr or oculus or whatever but it's definetely not giving me buttonPressed events :(

Unity 2020.3.18f1
    com.unity.xr.openxr: 1.2.8
    com.unity.inputsystem: 1.0.2
    com.unity.xr.management: 4.0.5

Using Quest 2 with wired Link and Air Link

also tried:
    com.unity.xr.openxr: 1.4.2
    com.unity.inputsystem: 1.3.0

xinuxano likes this.
  5. xinuxano

xinuxano

Also related with: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pri...lers-never-returns-true-when-pressed.1294833/

One of my users has the same problem. This is a build .exe for PC VR running on Oculus Quest2 using Virtual Desktop.

Everything was working perfectly until a few weeks ago. Has stopped responding buttons A, B, X, Y... the rest (trigger, tracking, joysticks) works fine.

It's happening on two different PCs with two different Oculus Quest 2, so it's not a hardware issue.

I'm still investigating this case, but I also suspect it has to do with some update to SteamVR and/or the OpenXR runtime (Oculus runtime or SteamVR runtime).

The current SteamVR version is: 1.22.13. I will try to update using the latest available SteamVR beta.

6. xinuxano

xinuxano

We have updated to SteamVR v. 1.23.2 (beta 06/15/2022), with SteamVR as OpenXR runtime and the problem persists. The software doesn't get the buttons input (X, Y, A, B) from the Oculus Quest 2. The rest works fine: tracking controls, triggers and joysticks.

7. jia_it

jia_it

The following worked for me and hope this helps everyone else too -

• Update OpenXR to 1.4.2
    • Go to project settings -> Input system package
    • From the list of supported devices, remove the old profile named `XRInputV1::Oculus::OculusTouchControllerOpenXR`
    • Then add a new one from the list: XRController -> Oculus Touch Controller (OpenXR)
    • Save your unity project

8. xinuxano

xinuxano

I can confirm that the new version SteamVR 1.23.4 beta fixes the issue (with no build changes) on both PCs and Oculus Quest 2.

saku_saku39 likes this.
  9. vatara

vatara

Yeah, it looks like that was the issue. It's working again for me after this SteamVR update.