Search Unity

Oculus performance and additional screens

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MarcOh, Mar 4, 2015.

1. MarcOh

MarcOh

Hey there!

I'm using an Oculus DevKit 2 together with Unity 4.5.3f3 on Windows 7 and I experience some heavy performance issues. The interesting point thereby is, that the perfomance on the computer screen (where the two eye-perspecives are shown) appears to be better than on the Oculus screens itself.
    I'm aware that the problem is very likely the graphics card that I'm using, which is a GTX 480. That leads to my first question:

Is there any graphics card that can be recommended for using Unity together with Oculus DevKit 2? Or is it just "the faster, the better"?

Second, I like to display the view of the Oculus user on an additional screen, such that people standing around the user could also see what the user sees. For this display, I do not like to show those eye perspectives, that the Oculus scripts show on the screen by default. Instead I like to show a "normal camera view", that just points into the direction, that the Oculus user is currently looking at.
    So my second question is:

How do I accomplish this? Do I need a second graphics card for this additional view?

I'm new to Unity and Oculus, so I'm thankful for any help and advice.

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Gfx card is indeed something that makes a difference as well CPU. I had a full realtime environment that ran perfect on a i7 with lower then 2k drawcalls. However in the same machine only different CPU, it ran 2 fps lower which made it stutter every single second. When we overclocked the i5 from 3,8 to 4,3 ghz, the stuttering was gone. In both cases the machine itself only uses 50% cpu and 20% GFX card. But the whole software for Oculus and the integration in Unity has a very poor optimization. When your machine does not run 100% full throttle, you'll experience stuttering if you didn't do your best to make it run smooth 75fps ingame. No matter if you machine is hardly doing anything, because that doesn't mean crap. I reported this on the forums, but so far not a single word from UT about this issue.

On the other hand, the publish settings in combination with quality settings inside Unity do make another huge difference. You need to have it run at steady 75fps ( oculus needs 75hz ), have directX 11 enabled and set the correct screen size for your build. Also disabling realtime shadows makes a huge difference. Just read the Oculus SDK unity PDF and when you went trough all settings, you'll be fine. But indeed a machine makes the difference as well.

3. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

U might want to make sure your actually running at 75 hz. A lot of the time dev kit 2 is annoying to get working like that. I know its a dev kit, but i truely hate how its treated liek a monitor lol... its like your choice is A.) See windows desktop and start menu on your monitor and get 60 hz.. or B.) attempt to use occulus as your desktop start menu monitor (nearly impossible... and get 75hz that u need.