Search Unity

Oculus Package only, or use asset store framework?

Discussion in 'VR' started by MadeFromPolygons, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I am confused as to what is the most modern / easiest way to develop applications for oculus platforms. Do I just use the package from package manager, or do I need the oculus asset store integration asset also?

If just using the package manager, what is the current way of doing standard things such as handling controller input, gaze input etc (understand I will need to implement a lot of this, but it looks like the API is now very generic and I am unsure how to query say left hand controller and then show a model if it is present)

If I dont need the oculus integration from asset store then I would prefer not to use it as it seems like unncessary bloat,

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You certainly don't need oculus integration to get started. You can get quite far with the built-in XR stuff.

But you will probably need it at some point, and certainly will if you want to use any of the Oculus platform services (leaderboards, high scores, VOIP, matchmaking, networking, etc., which are all free to use and of mostly high quality).

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Okay awesome, Ill try going without it for now until I need any of the services (definately will want leaderboards at some point), thankyou!

JoeStrout likes this.
  4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Let me add, if you're developing for Oculus Go, consider joining the GOmmunity Discord server. There are a ton of really nice and enthusiastic developers and players there. We're even kicking around the idea of having a periodic Go development contest, where we would create tech demos to address some challenge (e.g., "build a 1km by 1km open forest") and open-source the entries, so we can all learn from each other.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. battou

battou

Im looking to using only built in package, but I dont see a way to access Touch controls without OVRInput that comes with Integration package. Is there a way to read Touch buttons using XR namespace?

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

They are mapped to various inputs (for example, the Back button presents as the Escape key). So you can sort-of get them that way. But I would recommend you install the Integration package to provide OVRInput, and possibly the OVRManager script, and just ignore the rest.