Search Unity

Oculus Local Avatar hands not visible

Discussion in 'VR' started by darryl_wright, Aug 19, 2019.

1. darryl_wright

darryl_wright

Hello,

I have a project (Unity 2019.2.0.f1, LWRP, Oculus 1.39, Rift-S) in which I cannot get the Oculus hands to show.

Please note that this is not where the hands are pink because this is LWRP. The hands are not showing up at all, even though they are being tracked (they interfere with the guardian boundary correctly).

I thought this might be something to do with the LWRP so I loaded a standard "3D" scene and loaded the Oculus integration. I didn't load anything else, and opened the localavatar scene (the one with the small avatar on the table) and the hands NOR the small avatar showed up, but again they were tracking.

I tried the same thing in 2019.1.13.f1 and got the same result. I even deleted the oculus integration from my asset download and re-downloaded it, but I still cannot see anything in the scene.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

AlessiaLorenzi likes this.
  2. darryl_wright

darryl_wright

Well, I found the answer in case anyone else has this frustration. It seems as though you have to enter an app ID now even for the local avatar to show up.

The thread was here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/699800#Comment_699800

And here's a summary of what to do:

• In your browser
      • Go to https://dashboard.oculus.com
      • Find the APP id in the left side menu tree hierarchy Manage/<myorg>/<myapp>/Getting Started API (create one if you don't have)
    • Get back to Unity3D
      • Oculus > Avatars > Edit Settings (paste your App Id)
      • Oculus > Platoform > Edit Settings (Paste your App id

3. Zaclo_Games

Zaclo_Games

4. emrekoc85

emrekoc85

You saved my day sir. Thanks a lot

AlessiaLorenzi likes this.
  5. OmniTitan

OmniTitan

I am still finding this problem with 2019.2.8f1 and putting in the AppID from Oculus does not fix it

6. CWatsonT2

CWatsonT2

Also experiencing this with 2019.2.0a8 with ID in both places. It seems to be due to LWRP. If I run any of the oculus demo scenes without LWRP I see the hands/controllers fine.

Edit - I created some shader graph shaders and put them into the shader slots of the LocalAvatar component and the hands and controller show now.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    viknesh2020 and canek like this.
  7. canek

canek

This worked for me too (Unity 2019.2 and latest LWRP). Thank you. I just created a default shader graph PBR shader and put it in the shader slots in the Avatar component and it worked.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. NavernM

NavernM

Does this apply to quest as well? The app id option on the developer site only checks if its development for go or rift.

9. VTIL_Papageorgiou

VTIL_Papageorgiou

Yes. In Unity you can set any app id (like 12345), it doesn't have to be a valid one. There just needs to be some app id set to show the hands.

10. shmendrik

shmendrik

Same here, but i found a working example theme that had everything (controllers and movement) working. Once you download the Oculus Integration package from Asset Store, and import to your project, in asset browser find "ControllerModels" scene in "Assets\Oculus\VR\Scenes" and run it. My rift shows controller hands. Resave scene with your name and import your original project into it.

xushuo1236 likes this.
  11. kylehardy9

kylehardy9

I never log in to post things, but thank you so much for posting this - spent all afternoon trying to figure this out. Thank you!!!!!!

12. scottgamer351

scottgamer351

Oculus > Avatars > Edit Settings where do i find that?

xiaying2 and zaPuffi like this.
  13. zaPuffi

zaPuffi

I searched for it for some minutes too and I think I found it. It's on the menu bar, top left, the sixth thing.

14. wadamw

wadamw

Yes! Thanks much daryl_wright.

15. shaqq

shaqq

I was fighting with this problem for a while. Then I noticed an error about a dll missing. After some research I realised that there was only a 64 bit version of this library supplied by Oculus. An easy fix for me was to build as a 64 bit application instead of 32.

16. NavernM

NavernM

Thanks! I did just that.

17. rooster

rooster

So - I had the same issue and I've tried everything except building the 64 bit version. I switched to a 32 bit version before I realized I had this issue because there were different issues ...

I have one suggestion that is a work around and worked for me fine in the 32 bit build. If you toast the LocalAvatar and put the CustomHandLeft prefab as a child to the LeftHandAnchor (ditto with the right) then the hands work fine. There is probably a shortcoming to doing this but I haven't run into it yet.

18. unity_xiaokeaii98

unity_xiaokeaii98

same issue. I used to use the sample scene, save as new scene and import my stuff in. But now, even sample scenes have the same problem with the invisible hands. GG

19. salvolannister

salvolannister

Did anyone tried to make the hands shows up even if not using an Oculus Headset?

20. asa989

asa989

Can see my hands on a windows build? i have tried in many ways but it failed all the time!!

21. CherryEngine

CherryEngine

viknesh2020 likes this.
  22. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Thanks for pointing it out @CherryEngine. Ah, that is S***ty news. I need to use hands, but I also need to use 2020.1. Argh :(

23. benmncelly

benmncelly

Oooof, just found this after hours of troublshooting with 2020....

24. viknesh2020

viknesh2020

If anyone is still facing this issue, follow the below steps.

1. Go to dashboard.oculus.com >> Create new App >> API >> Copy the App ID.
    2. Go to Unity>>Oculus on top menu>>Avatars>>Edit Settings>>Paste the App ID opposite to Quest or Gear VR.
    3. Go to Oculus on top menu>> Platform>>Edit Settings>> Paste the App ID opposite to Quest or Gear VR.
    4. Got to Oculus on top menu >> Tools>>Create store-compatible AndroidManifest.xml
    5. Go to Assets folder>>Plugins>>Android>>Delete the manifest file.
    5. Go to Hierarchy>>LocalAvatar>>Visibility>>Check Start With Controllers.
    6. Go to Hierarchy>>LocalAvatar>> Capabilities>> Uncheck Enable Body.

Please note:

i. Current version [Oculus Integration 37.0 Feb 1, 2022] of Oculus Avatar doesn't include the Quest 2 Controllers model. You will see the Rift Controllers instead of Quest 2'. Follow this link for more information.
    ii. Avatar hands and controllers will not be visible in URP.

25. nudz-klecany

nudz-klecany

This has helped tremendously! In addition to that, you can try to replace shaders in LocalAvatar prefab to make it URP compatible

viknesh2020 likes this.
  26. jae026

jae026

So there is nothing you can do to show hands while using URP?

27. viknesh2020

viknesh2020

There is. Rewriting a shader which supports URP will work fine.

28. IanDavisPropulsion

IanDavisPropulsion

I had an issue where just the head and hands didn't load... Restarted a bunch of times, etc. What fixed it was just going into the Avatar configuration settings under your profile. That must have loaded assets or what not. Then launched the app and it worked. Joy.