Search Unity

Oculus Integration vs com.unity.xr.oculus

Discussion in 'VR' started by Solovykh, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Solovykh

Solovykh

Hey there,

I was wondering how these two things are meant to fit together in the XR Management framework.

There's the Oculus Integration from the asset store which has useful stuff like OVRManager but also the required plugins like OVRPlugin.dll.

Then there's also the com.unity.xr.oculus via the package manager which contains the loaders necessary for XR Management and also the required plugins like OVRPlugin.dll. However, this package does not have the utilities like OVRManager in them.

Is the idea that I disable the plugins in the Oculus Integration and use the ones from com.unity.xr.oculus but then still use OVRManager from the Oculus Integration?

2. nicenerd

nicenerd

A New Architecture: Unity XR Platform -

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    viciousesque likes this.
  3. Antares19

Antares19

Is there any Tutorial on how to build Unity XR Integration project for Oculus Quest? On what is still necessary from the 'old world' of Oculus Integration and what should be omitted.

First questions are:
    Do I still need to import Oculus Integration from the asset store if I'm Using XR Integration?
    If not, how do I set App ID from Oculus website?

Timeswitch and JamesClow like this.
  4. Thomukas1

Thomukas1

Same questions as above. And what are the steps of switching from oculus android to oculus xr plugin?

5. MattFS

MattFS

Same questions as above...

6. augustmpemberton

augustmpemberton

Same questions here! Would be great to have some clarification on this.

7. Ylahad

Ylahad

You can now use the new XR Management package as explained in the video (or you can just follow unity's intefarces directives it's quite intuitive). Now you don't have to download the Oculus intgegration assets. Unity made a package for this. Favoring cross platform developements and updates improvements. The video talk about XR integration framework, that's the trick, the name is XR Integration toolkit. You can download it in the package manager selecting advanced then show preview packages.

upload_2020-3-11_20-42-36.png

And then lets have fun.
    So in unity 2019.3.4 you can use old way specific oculus quest settings with asset and so and so or the new tools through the new packages.

some informations here https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/12/17/xr-interaction-toolkit-preview-package-is-here/
    and a toolkit demo here

I hope i helped a little.

augustmpemberton likes this.
  8. Solovykh

Solovykh

The problem is that you still need the Oculus integration for the stuff related to Oculus Platform (Entitlements.cs) and the Oculus Spatializer (OculusSpatializerUnity.cs). Plus, there's stuff like the OVRHand (OVRHand.cs) which you need for hand tracking to work, which only exists in the Oculus integration.

9. sxnorthrop

sxnorthrop

Is it possible to use this at the same time as the XR plugin?

10. Solovykh

Solovykh

Yep, you can. The problem however is that the XRPlugin (com.unity.xr.oculus) contains a version of the OVRPlugin that's version A, and the Oculus Integration contains a version of the OVRPlugin that's version B. And it's unclear which one you should use with the scripts found in the Oculus Integration.

11. Wattosan

Wattosan

How would you go about updating the project, which uses the Oculus Integration from the assetstore, to using just the XRPlugin?

12. viciousesque

viciousesque

Thank you for sharing this video. It answered a lot of questions. There is a lot of deprecated knowledge out there around Oculus/Unity integration.

I was doing it all wrong. Damn you, 2018_LTS!

13. viciousesque

viciousesque

Pretty sure it's either or thing. Either use XR Plugins or the Oculus Integration package from the Asset Store (OVRManager is rolled into the XR plugin). I just made the switch to the XR Plugin framework and it is the greatest thing EVER. I've been on Oculus development since DK 1 and to finally have a standard compliant workflow instead of need to build every basic interface myself is unbeliveably cool.

Go XR Plugin/XR Toolkit.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  14. transparentz

transparentz

I agree the XR toolkit is amazing to work with! I've got everything working nearly the way I want it in terms of gameplay and it was really easy to set up.

But I'm still quite confused about the next step. Say I want to put the game on the oculus store, or add oculus platform features such as avatar, leaderboards, etc. Is there any way I can do that currently with XR plugin? All the info I'm finding seems to point me towards the oculus integration package.

15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You don't need the Oculus integration package for those. You need the Oculus SDK, which is different. I think the proper way to install the SDK these days may be via the integration package, but you don't have to actually use any of the scripts which come with that, or their particular rig or prefabs, or anything else. You can delete everything except the SDK library.

JG-Denver likes this.
  16. transparentz

transparentz

Thanks, was able to get the entitlement check and leaderboards working today! You're right it was possible to have both the integration and xr plugin working together. Had some errors at first because of conflicting file names but was able to resolve it after deleting some files.

Have to say though it's quite confusing. The way it's presented most places it's either the integration or the XR plugin.Would be nice if they added a package with only the required SDK's.

Anyways thanks for the help!

AnthonyJackson81 and JoeStrout like this.
  17. DumitruAlin

DumitruAlin

For me is build success and then black screen and nothing inside Oculus VR. Any guidance on how to combine them?

18. Timeswitch

Timeswitch

The Avatar SDK won't work with the native XR Rig and there seem to bee some sort of sorting problems in the right eye when using single-pass instanced rendering. The avatar hands flicker through the controller, a problem I did not have with the standalone way.

19. ModLunar

ModLunar

I'm very confused on this as well.. just getting into VR briefly, and feel lost.

20. benzw17

benzw17

This seems to make a lot of sense, but I still run into trouble when trying to import the ones that I believe should be imported. Errors keep popping up and the "safe" way is to just import everything. Anybody here who knows specifically which files you need to get only the SDK?