Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Oculus go text flickering

Discussion in 'VR' started by TechnicalArtist, Sep 16, 2018.

1. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

I tried so much to solve text flickering.
    I tried ngui,unity ui & text mesh pro.
    But not find success.

Anybody have solution how to solve text flickering?

Thanks in advance.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What text flickering? I haven't seen that problem. I'm using both Unity UI and TMPro.

3. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

I'm developing on the Oculus GO in unity and the text in my scene appears either blurry or jittery. I'm using Unity's text mesh pro, msaa anti-aliasing at 8x sampling. I just notice that the text in the Oculus GO menu UI looks so crisp, clear, and not jittery at all. What was done to the Oculus GO menu UI to make the text look so clear even when the font size is very small, and what can I do to get similar visual quality in my Unity project?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  4. spacefrog

spacefrog

Oculus themself are using OVROverlay for their UI rendering in the Oculus Menues. This is the reason why their texts look so clear. I experimented with OVROverlay for Unity UI rendering myself, and can confirm this great visual results, even with standard Unity UI text ( no TextmeshPro required )
    Here's what i'm talking about
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-ovroverlay/

To use it for UI, you simply let an UI Camera render your complete canvas to a rendertexture and place that rendertexture as OVROverlay in your scene. You can find a sample of that UI Overlay rendering in the Unity Framework Samples you can download here ( look out for the OverlayUIDemo sample )
    https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/latest/concepts/unity-sample-framework/

Just wanted to add, that i would use it mainly for mobile VR. A nice gimick addon is that you can create curved UI too using that method, because you can tell the OVROverlay to render onto a cylinder (from the inside) instead of a quad

glenneroo and JoeStrout like this.
  5. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks for the valuable information.

6. mahewitt

mahewitt

Check clipping plane settings. I had the same problem and noticed both my text z and near clipping plane were set to 0.5. Changing near clipping to 0.4 fixed the problem.

audunhaugland and JoeStrout like this.
  7. Proto-G

Proto-G

Thanks for the info!

8. jcbhmmn

jcbhmmn

Hi @spacefrog Thanks for this info - Question: Since the UI camera needs to render the canvas to the OVR overlay, how are you able to hide the Unity UI text so that only the Ovr Overlay is displayed?