Search Unity

Oculus Go Debug in Unity Editor

Discussion in 'VR' started by Salocin808, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Salocin808

Salocin808

Hey guys!

I installed my first .apk on the Oculus Go and it worked (had some problems with ADB but it finally worked). Now I was wondering how people are developing on the Oculus Go because I can't find a way to debug it directly in the Unity Editor.
    I was developing on the HTC Vive before and it was really easy because it was directly loaded onto the Vive when hitting "Play" in the Unity Editor. Does anybody now if there is a way to make development easier? It takes a long time to make a build and install the apk on the Oculus.. there has to be an easier way. Or at least they have to be working on it right?

Thanks for the replies!

literakl likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It shouldn't take that long — I hit cmd-B, and it builds and installs (automatically) in about 30 seconds. That's time enough for me to ponder my next step, or check my email real quick. Sure, I wish it were even faster, but it hasn't been a problem.

If it's taking much longer than that, it could be that you've either added some shaders to your project (shaders take friggin' forever to compile, but generally only once), or it's baking the lights (I turn automatic baking off during development, and turn it back on, if I need it at all, for the final build).

3. Salocin808

Salocin808

Hey JoeStrout!

But it's not only that. You cannot outpout the debugging log which makes development harder...

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Ah, but you can. It goes to the standard Android log, which you can view with "adb logcat" on the command line.

There is other, lower-level stuff mixed in with the Unity output, so I usually use a command like
    adb logcat | fgrep Unity
    to view just the Unity (Debug.Log) output. Or sometimes I filter by some more specific string, if I know I'm looking for something in particular. (These are Unix commands; on Windows I imagine it'd be a little different.)

Try this search for plenty more about that.

SimonDarksideJ and gjf like this.
  5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I just write my own static logging command which I call from anywhere I am going to log something , and have it store the logged info. I can then write it to a canvas, output it to a text file etc etc. This is the same way that the debug log is handled in the HoloLens mixed reality toolkit (where I got the idea from) and it works quite nicely

6. literakl

literakl

Have you solved it? I would love to see the game in Editor Play mode, update properties, see the logs in Editor and debug the scripts in JetBrains Rider. Logcat is one very small subset of running the app in the Editor.