Search Unity

Oculus Go basic controller interaction with Unity Event system has brought me to my knees, pls help

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by goddestroyer, Sep 29, 2019.

1. goddestroyer

goddestroyer

The Immediate goal want to achieve, I need help with:
    I am running Unity 2019.2.3f1 and using the native XR support, targeting an Oculus Go.

I have a completed and running VR game, I simply want to: add in the oculus Go controller model, with laser pointer functionality, as well as grab-and-hold functionality, all using the trigger.
    In the completed VR experience, originally developed with GoogleVR SDK for Daydream, the Daydream controller prefab tied directly into Unity's Event System out-of-the-box to function as a laser pointer. For teleport targets and interactable items in the scene, i simply set up these Event handlers on the targets as shown, and it worked right away:
    (the green wireframe man represents a teleport target. With Google VR I simply set Pointer Enter, Pointer Exit, and Pointer Click events as shown and assigned the script that handles those events.)
    eventtriggerbermeo.PNG

It would be nice if the finished solution tied into Unity's existing event system so i wouldn't have to change the event handler on all my interactable objects in the scene. In fact I think in one of the previous solution approaches I tried I had that working by executing/dispatching an event to Unity's event system from the OVRInput events, but I have lost that solution i wrote at this time.

I am willing to redo the controller implementation from scratch and report my step-by-step findings in this thread, I just really need some help. I've been on this for quite a lot of hours and I'm really surprised its not all already included on a controller prefab out-of-the-box with Oculus VR SDK.

More info
    After I've tried about 10 different solution approaches following oculus documentation, unity documentation, openvr documentation, an oculus blog post including a sample scene that is now using deprecated libraries but it demonstrated the solutions. In every solution approach i've tried, i could get some of the described goals accomplished but not all of them together.

I am currently using this solution which is not exactly what I want but it's decent, the closest out-of-box solution:
    https://github.com/RyoKosaka/VrGrabberGo
    ovrcamerarig.PNG

with VrGrabberGo solution I get Oculus go controller models, a bendy laser pointer (i'd prefer a straight line) with "bring close" functionality, and even some dropping/throwing physics, which is all nice and i'd be willing to keep it in my released VR app. however I can't figure out how to add support for just a trigger click with the VrGrabberGo library at least.

I am not attached to using VrGrabberGo.

here is the current scene showing VrGrabber doing it's thing picking up objects correctly but i cant get it to respond to a single trigger click event. (the controller models are there in this video there is just a near plane clipping issue)

my ability to get paid relies on overcoming this obstacle, thank you for any suggestions!!

ivona1mircheva_unity likes this.
  2. aa_lique

aa_lique

Did you ever find solution? Curious because I too need this functionality for the GO. I don't know how to wire up the pointer controller.