Search Unity

Oculus Go, 3DOF? allow rotation only

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Raqus, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Raqus

Raqus

Hello everybody
    I thought that Oculus GO is only 3DOF (The 3 axis are roll, yaw and pitch)
    Looks like the Oculus sensors can also detect motion along one of the three spatial axes .
    In my app when i'm looking aroung there is also noticeable some motion along one of the axes (similar to strafe in the FPS games)
    The problem is that it feels like the camera doesn't change its position but the perspective changes somehow.
    It's strange feeling and everyone who used the app experienced a motion sickness after a short time

Is it possible to turn off tracking along the spatial axes (position tracking ?)
    so the headset will only track the rotation and it stay in the fixed position in the 3D space
    End result should be similar to watching 360 panos

Thanks a lot.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've never seen any spatial tracking — in fact my app relies on the fact that there isn't any (it uses a prerendered skybox for most geometry more than 20 or 30 meters away, and if the camera could move, that stuff would appear to shift, which it does not).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the perspective changes somehow." Can you be more specific?

3. spacefrog

spacefrog

AFAIK there is some simulated movement applied calulated from the neck-to-eye distance, even without any real positional tracking available. At least that was the case for the Gear and i guess is true for the Go too
    You will notice it mainly with a skybox + 3d objects: the 3d objects will shift slightly against the skybox when rotating the head as the rotation center is not your eyes but your neck's root pivot ( at least thats how i understood it )