Search Unity

[Oculus] FPS drops as soos as the headset is worn

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kiupe, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi guys,

I have a scene in which nothing is happening, the FPS is something like 160 FPS. As soons as I wear the Oculus headset the FPS drop to 45 FPS. Nothing has changed in the scene, no events have been triggered, no animations have been played, nothing. Just wearing the Oculus headset make the FPS drop.

Using the profiler I can see that VR.WaitForGPU is taking a very long time as soons as the Oculus headset is worn. I have no idea why it is happening. Do you ?

Thanks

2. Kiupe

Kiupe

I tried to create an empty scene, add the OVRCameraRig prefab with the OVRDebug script. The issue remained, FPS is high and as soons as I wear the headset the FPS drops to 45.

3. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

When you enter VR mode the oculus starts rendering in 2160 x 1200 resolution.
    this could even be higher depending on the VRSettings.RenderScale

Unity will try to render in 90 fps. If it can not render at 90 it will go back to 45 fps and Oculus will use SpaceWarp internally to create the missing frames.

4. Kiupe

Kiupe

How could Unity not be able to render an empty scene at 90 FPS ?

5. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

That I do not know....

6. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hum, I do have to apologize here. I just re-started the Oculus application and then re-play my scene, the Oculus app re-launched automatically and then the FPS stay at 90 FPS.