Search Unity

Oculus DK2 was working fine, now it is not working at all

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MarcopoloR, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

I have a very frustrating problem that I have been obsessed with trying to fix now for the last several hours. My system is and AMD FX8350 processor and a GTX970 Gaming graphics card, along with the Oculus DK2 I got last month and has worked fine up to now. I am running Unity 5.2.0f3 personal edition and the Oculus runtime version 0.6. Earlier today I was playing around with the player render settings, and changed from gamma to forward to test out a few things. suddenly I wasn't able to click on things in the scene view, and this problem happened consistently even after restarting several times and in different projects.
    So I decided to reinstall Unity, and after I reinstalled, the clicking worked fine, but I cannot get the VR to run. When I have the VR box checked in the player settings and press play in the editor, there are no error messages or crashes, it just doesn't work. The camera and HMD lights do not come on and the performance is as if I was not running in VR mode. I thought maybe it got disconnected or somehow disabled, but I was able to run a bunch of VR demos I downloaded from the Oculus share site just fine, so my DK2 appears to work normally.
    I tried everything I could think of , switched back to gamma and every other configuration I could think of, reverted everything to factory settings (but checked the VR enabled of course), nothing worked. I even tried a system restore, using older Unity 5 builds(well, I clicked on the desktop shortcut that says it is for an older build). This is a weird problem that I have not been able to find the answer by checking the Unity or Oculus forums, no one else seems to report this. Anyone have any ideas here?

2. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

I seemed to have solved the problem. I didn't know I needed to upgrade to runtime 0.7 with the latest update. In fact, I didn't know my reinstall was the latest update until I checked this morning and read the readme files, discovering that I needed 0.7 for the latest Unity update to work. However, my performance was degraded, where before I was getting about 70fps I am now getting about 45fps. I am hoping that a restart will take care of this.

3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I'm using 5.2.0f3 with 0.6 Oculus runtime, so don't think that's really the problem. The linear/gamma scene picking thing you mentioned is described in the release notes as a known issue, although for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be affecting me.

One thing that's different is OVRServer switches itself off now and then. It seems to be that if you run Unity without the Rift plugged in and turned on, it shuts off. Restarting it fixes it in my case, but I have to keep the little OVRServer DOS box window open.

I seriously hope 0.7 runtime doesn't slow down the performance at all. Once you've restarted and looked into it further, would you mind letting me know what you find? If this is the case I'm going to hold off updating to the patch which switches everything to 0.7.

4. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

I would stick with 0.6 for now as long as it works for you. I restarted and still get that problem in addition to another problem. Every time I start Unity I have to uncheck and recheck the enable VR box. If I do not do this when I try to run the game it just holds up and is unresponsive. Maybe if I went and got a coffee and came back in 20 minutes it would start running, but I am not that patient.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015